• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Yeah. I was more upset about being ghosted. By they and I had invested a lot of time in the process/determination if I was the right candidate, and then.....nothing. I did get the auto email at 2:30am on a Friday heading into Saturday. 6 weeks after my interview.

I'm glad I didn't end up getting the job and am where I am now, but didn't feel good about how the whole things went down (and it's a place where I have a lot of significant ties).

Anyway to get feed back on these interviews? One of my former post docs had been invited to several in person faculty interviews and walked away from every single one saying that he “nailed” it and then he never got the job. So on his behalf I called a couple friends at the schools to ask why, and they both said “he seems like a good guy and a capable scientist, but man he will talk and talk and talk, it’s hard to get a word in.” Guy was just getting so enthusiastic and amped up for the interview he turned the staff off. So I relayed that info and coached him through some strategies for staying chill and for making sure the interview panel feels respected. He just landed a job at UN - Reno! I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing but that the feed back on his interview skills were vital for correcting course and landing a a dream job. He had the right qualifications and CV the whole time, he just needed to adjust his speaking style.
yeah I asked for any, we'll see if I get some.

I did have lunch yesterday with a former coworker who is now at company B and he printed off the interview template and sample questions that HR provides to hiring managers and peer interviewers. so I literally have a cheat sheet on what to prep for. sounds like they're big into the STAR model:

Situation
Tasks
Actions
Results

to help frame the conversation. so a lot of questions will be "Tell me about a time you ____" and they expect it to be in that format to help guide your train of thought.

Yeah. I was more upset about being ghosted. By they and I had invested a lot of time in the process/determination if I was the right candidate, and then.....nothing. I did get the auto email at 2:30am on a Friday heading into Saturday. 6 weeks after my interview.

I'm glad I didn't end up getting the job and am where I am now, but didn't feel good about how the whole things went down (and it's a place where I have a lot of significant ties).
ghosting is so lame. it's like I took all the time to apply, prep for interviews, and do the interviews, the least you can do is send me a two sentence email so I can move on with my life. it's just rude. and you see online the justification of like "well, recruiters have to juggle a lot and are very busy" but their job is to correspond with candidates. and if anything you're saving yourself from constant follow up emails.

ghosting is so lame. it's like I took all the time to apply, prep for interviews, and do the interviews, the least you can do is send me a two sentence email so I can move on with my life. it's just rude. and you see online the justification of like "well, recruiters have to juggle a lot and are very busy" but their job is to correspond with candidates. and if anything you're saving yourself from constant follow up emails.
We've had this discussion before (maybe on this thread), but I always let the candidate know through one order of contact less than the highest level we had:

online application rejected - they get nothing until the auto email comes out when the position is closed
phone/zoom interview with me/someone in my department - they get a personal email from me
Final round face to face - I'm calling them.

We've had this discussion before (maybe on this thread), but I always let the candidate know through one order of contact less than the highest level we had:

online application rejected - they get nothing until the auto email comes out when the position is closed
phone/zoom interview with me/someone in my department - they get a personal email from me
This is me too, but I honestly typically let the recruiter handle the middle bucket, unless it was a really good 1 interview.

that's great. I've found that I rarely get the generic no letters after applying. seems like it should be easy to do in the recruiting software.

This is me too, but I honestly typically let the recruiter handle the middle bucket, unless it was a really good 1 interview.
With as specialized as we are, It is rare for me to have more than 5-8 candidates at this level (unless we don't find someone and have to reopen the position)

that's great. I've found that I rarely get the generic no letters after applying. seems like it should be easy to do in the recruiting software.
they are - but it they also aren't sent until the position is filled and they have officially onboarded on their first day, closing out the whole recruitment process. By the time they come out, most folks have figured out they haven't gotten the job, so I don't it actually helps people in their search.

they are - but it they also aren't sent until the position is filled and they have officially onboarded on their first day, closing out the whole recruitment process. By the time they come out, most folks have figured out they haven't gotten the job, so I don't it actually helps people in their search.
seems like you could/should be able to filter out all the people you're moving forward with then send a no to the others earlier on. I have appreciated that a few jobs I've gotten the no a few days after applying which shows someone actually looked at it.

seems like you could/should be able to filter out all the people you're moving forward with then send a no to the others earlier on. I have appreciated that a few jobs I've gotten the no a few days after applying which shows someone actually looked at it.
I see both sides. If they don't meet the minimum requirements, sure, send the email. But I also get hedging bets until someone has signed an offer letter before limiting the pool.

Just heard back from the recruiter. Said I did very well and I have a strong comms background, but they were looking for someone with more experience in a certain area. In that area I had certainly done plenty of work but usually in support or partnership with others, but there's no way I couldn't do it on my own, just I've always worked with people where that was their specific role. So what can you do?

Anyway to get feed back on these interviews? One of my former post docs had been invited to several in person faculty interviews and walked away from every single one saying that he “nailed” it and then he never got the job. So on his behalf I called a couple friends at the schools ... He just landed a job at UN - Reno!
from what I've been told, at least in academia, is that there's some real equity issues in providing feedback. Your example shows how useful it can be! But your guy only had that information because you called in some favors

The best is when you get that auto-rejection 365 days later when they reopen the system for the next round of hiring

I've been ghosted by schools that literally spent thousands of dollars to fly me out and host me for three days. No rejection and no response to inquiries

from what I've been told, at least in academia, is that there's some real equity issues in providing feedback. Your example shows how useful it can be! But your guy only had that information because you called in some favors
True, he asked for the feed back himself and got a bunch of bs about how great he was but the applicant pool was so amazingly strong. Also I asked verbally, not in writing, so they felt more comfortable off the official record spilling the deets.

I guess I feel better being told it wasn’t anything with me personally just experience, or at least that’s what they tell me

True, he asked for the feed back himself and got a bunch of bs about how great he was but the applicant pool was so amazingly strong. Also I asked verbally, not in writing, so they felt more comfortable off the official record spilling the deets.
Good point. I think everyone everywhere is afraid of being sued.

Good point. I think everyone everywhere is afraid of being sued.
Yep. It's exactly this. Also why I could never provide qualitative feedback to a candidate once that the giant "Live. Laugh. Love." sign in flowery script behind him on his video camera spot was probably hurting him.

tomorrow morning is prob the biggest interview of my career, with the hiring manager so obvi gotta impress and I know they ask tough Qs (fortunately I have the template).

to add to the pressure, now have a first round with another company tomorrow afternoon (my 6th company during this job search). come on, you assholes, it's time to give me a job.

Back