• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Generally, yes. Each position has one HR hiring processor. so if they take a 3 week vacation you gotta wait. I think 6-week sick leave would get the position temporarily reassigned, especially with something like a surgery that has a predictable sick leave period. The department trying to hire you can try to get the position moving faster if they really want to, by calling the HR supervisor, etc. So if you get an offer from Company A but you prefer the Federal position, call the person you've been talking to and tell them your situation.
Yeah I have some time now with scheduling this time in Cleveland, and I'm going to the beach for Memorial Day so that process will be stretched out any way.

So hopefully the tentative Federal offer comes in before then so we can get the ball rolling (and I've seen where jobs have been rescinded in between tentative and final offer) and let it all play out with Company A so hopefully I can make a choice.

Yeah, I'm not fed but local gov't... typically if someone is out and a hiring manager starts causing a bunch of ruckus within HR they'll process things through as best as they can in the other person's absence.

Missing out on an interview because i will be out of country. Gotta look at flying home early so I don’t miss another interview.

@BarcaDeac if the Fed job really isn't until October, could you do something fun for income until then? Bartenders can make a lot of $ and it might be fun for only a couple months.

@BarcaDeac if the Fed job really isn't until October, could you do something fun for income until then? Bartenders can make a lot of $ and it might be fun for only a couple months.
Yeah we'll see. Maybe my old company I applied for would let me do some kind of temp role, IDK.

Are these jobs in Asheville or Greensboro ?
Company A is hybrid in Asheville

Feds fully remote, would go to their offices in MD periodically

Company B who I'm still waiting to hear back from is fully remote, go to their offices in NOVA from time to time

You should take A and Feds and do the job at Company A and just fart around at the gov't job because it will take them 10 years to fire you.

You should take A and Feds and do the job at Company A and just fart around at the gov't job because it will take them 10 years to fire you.
Lol I was gonna say take em both and just leave A in October/whenever feds start (assuming the salary isn't too far off).

Lol I was gonna say take em both and just leave A in October/whenever feds start (assuming the salary isn't too far off).
A might pay slightly more. The midpoint of the salary range would be about 10k more than the minimum of the Fed salary band, but there are steps within that band so idk what they’d initially offer.

A might pay slightly more. The midpoint of the salary range would be about 10k more than the minimum of the Fed salary band, but there are steps within that band so idk what they’d initially offer.
I am pretty sure that if you have a job offer for a higher salary in hand you can use it to negotiate for starting at a higher step with in the grade.

Missing out on an interview because i will be out of country. Gotta look at flying home early so I don’t miss another interview.
I was very nervous calling Fire Dept about it, but i called to ask them “if i change my flight home, can you tell me if I should go ahead and do that?” And they said I meet the requirements to interview, so i should feel confident to go ahead and change travel plans. So interview with dream department will be June 14th.

Back