• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake vs Army Game Thread

Why is it a big deal that NIU beat Kansas? Kansas is 1-3 with a home loss to Rice for crying out loud.

It is fun watching you contort yourself to justify every move WF football makes this season.

I don't need to do that much contorting. We are 3-1 when everybody expected us to be 2-2. My point is that everybody seems to think that Army's offense is terrible. And it isn't. They had a similar offensive effort against NIU and scored almost as many points against them as NIU has allowed against Iowa, Tenn-Martina and Kansas over a 3 game period.

We tackled like crap early in the game and it certainly wasn't our best defensive effort. But the freakout here is a bit much. We did win the game after all.

I'm not down on the team. But I want to see WF improve relative to the competition, and relative to its historical standards. It makes no sense to me to be content w/ being better than we were before Grobe. That's such a low bar.

Liberty, UNC, and Army are not good teams. The distinct trend for the program since 2006 has been down, last year's modest bump notwithstanding. We are moving further away from, not closer to, consistently competing for division titles. That is not good.

I don't think this is necessarily true and I think with 19 returning starters next year we have a very good chance of competing for the atlantic.

I don't have the records in front of me and don't care to look them up, but I believe we were within a game of the Atlantic title in 07, 08, and 11. In 08 and 11 it literally came down to one play. There are some things i wish we would change and improve upon, but it's hard to say we haven't been competing for conference championships.

Army is a solid team. They'll should still bowl despite the 0-3 start, and they could easily win their next 6 games.

That being said we can and should play better defense

The most annoying thing about our fanbase is the people who look down on fans who actually want Wake football to be good and are frustrated when we're not.

The most annoying thing about our fanbase is the people who look down on fans who actually want Wake football to be good and are supportive of the current staff in their efforts to get there.

I don't know how you judge our team relative to other individual teams who are also inconsistent. If you were measuring our team against Carolina you would say we've improved a great deal, if you were measuring us against FSU you would say we've gotten a lot worse. The talent in our roster is wildly inconsistent and our success is so dependent on individual coaching schemes that wins, losses, and competitiveness are the only reliable indicators. Our recruiting (on paper) is yearly some of the worst in the ACC, so we should be satisfied at least if we finish towards the top, or at least in the middle.

Last edited:
Why can't we accept the fact army has a very good offense. Very good qb. Tough o line.I thought they played great. Also thought their OC called a fantastic game.

I don't think this is necessarily true and I think with 19 returning starters next year we have a very good chance of competing for the atlantic.

We are competing for the Atlantic this season. It is a long season. Everybody faces adversity but if you told me that WF would start the season with considerable attrition along the front offensive line, the team's top defender (player?), Nikita Whitlock, would be absent for 2 1/3 games, Terrence Davis would be hampered with shoulder problems after having lived and worked out the off season with Price...if you had told me that Kris Redding would strain his achilles, Sherman Ragland would suffer a nasty finger dislocation, and Zach Thompson would have an eye that looked like a stab wound...

Anyway, all teams have injuries and attrition but at WF we can't absorb nearly as much as, say, FSU. To look at the body blows this team has taken and is still 3 and 1...well, that is pretty cool. I recognize that WF got rolled at FSU but that final score is better looking with Whitlock leading the "D". Our team was also gassed...and the coaching staff has already second-guessed if pushing so hard in pre-season contributed to some fatigue. They will have to address this next fall camp.

Nikita is, as Nick Saban would put it, "our alpha dog". We need a couple of guys to step into that role and particularly at the Linebacker position. Either Jackson or Olson or both have to emerge as "the guy". Yesterday's game was humbling at times...Olson and Jackson both had 12 tackles but also struggled to bring down two well-built backs. They did, however, accomplish what Aaron Curry and Arnoux did against Navy...after repeated blows they sent a very troublesome QB to the pine and it changed the outcome.

Why can't we accept the fact army has a very good offense. Very good qb. Tough o line.I thought they played great. Also thought their OC called a fantastic game.

Wow. I'm not sure why I have never agreed with you before.

Nick Saban was on Sirius the other morning and he was talking about the plethora of "skill guys" in football today...he said everybody has great athletes at the 'skills' but (shocker) the difference was on the lines. Same as it ever was, but I was as impressed with those 'thick-legged' backs that Army had as any we have faced this year -- including Blue and Wilder. Those guys ran like a former Deac nemesis, Michael Turner at NIU.

Army is a solid team. They'll should still bowl despite the 0-3 start, and they could easily win their next 6 games.

That being said we can and should play better defense

I haven't heard how badly he was hurt, but if Steelman is out for any length of time at all, Army is in deep trouble.

One other player that really impressed me for them was the linebacker wearing #6. That guy was in on a ton of plays and hit hard.

I haven't heard how badly he was hurt, but if Steelman is out for any length of time at all, Army is in deep trouble.

One other player that really impressed me for them was the linebacker wearing #6. That guy was in on a ton of plays and hit hard.

Broken ribs. It was obvious after the first play. He hurt them on the play where he coughed up the ball. Came in, ran one more, then looked absolutely miserable on the sidelines. He came back in for that sneak, when his ribs were obviously broken. The guy could barely stand on the sideline from pain.

Broken ribs. It was obvious after the first play. He hurt them on the play where he coughed up the ball. Came in, ran one more, then looked absolutely miserable on the sidelines. He came back in for that sneak, when his ribs were obviously broken. The guy could barely stand on the sideline from pain.

He's a stud for coming back in and playing with such pain. Exactly what you expect with a service academy guy.

He's a stud for coming back in and playing with such pain. Exactly what you expect with a service academy guy.

No problem with that. I do have a problem with the coach for letting him go back in. Especially when you know you are calling a sneak, and the D knows you are calling a sneak.

Back