• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

my god republicans are cowards. just let this criminal take over...they will never recover from trump.

“We” will never recover if Trump wins in November.

The man needs to be defeated or die (naturally).

Sure. Just pointing out to those that claim they are not voting for trump because he's too awful to vote for are voting for him by not voting against him.

Supreme Court has let stand New Mexico's holding seditionist ineligible for state office.

Listen, this is for a state office, not a federal office.

It’s entirely standard that all states must have the same rules about who is on the ballot and how they get there for federal elections.

Saw an interesting article that suggested a newly elected Democratic majority Congess could refuse to certify election of Trump, deeming him seditionist, per the Supreme Court interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

Why do people keep assuming Democrats are going to win the House? They are starting down 4 seats in North Carolina because of gerrymandering.

Saw an interesting article that suggested a newly elected Democratic majority Congess could refuse to certify election of Trump, deeming him seditionist, per the Supreme Court interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

Setting aside the countless practicalities on this potential action, I don’t think voting not to certify under the electoral count act jives with the per curiam opinion in Anderson. Maybe not completely free from doubt (and while I disagree wholeheartedly), the opinion reads pretty clear to me that legislation has to be enacted pursuant to Sec. 5 of the 14th amendment before a person can be disqualified. And I also have no doubt that if in some alternate universe where the Dems have both a majority and the votes to do such a thing, SCOTUS would strike it down (and we’d also probably be in a state of civil war).

Setting aside the countless practicalities on this potential action, I don’t think voting not to certify under the electoral count act jives with the per curiam opinion in Anderson. Maybe not completely free from doubt (and while I disagree wholeheartedly), the opinion reads pretty clear to me that legislation has to be enacted pursuant to Sec. 5 of the 14th amendment before a person can be disqualified. And I also have no doubt that if in some alternate universe where the Dems have both a majority and the votes to do such a thing, SCOTUS would strike it down (and we’d also probably be in a state of civil war).
Yes, that thing

Why do people keep assuming Democrats are going to win the House? They are starting down 4 seats in North Carolina because of gerrymandering.
I don't know if they'll win the House back or not, but I believe that the Democrats have been able to redistrict/gerrymander New York so they'll make up the 4 seats they're losing in NC and more. The problem is that many red state governments have created even more heavily gerrymandered districts, thus making it harder for Democrats to win some seats. OTOH, the Republicans at this point can only afford to lose 2 or 3 more seats or they'll lose control of the House. It should be extremely close either way.

I doubt we’ll see massive 30+ seat swings again unless there are major redistricting reforms.

Maybe if the leader of one of the parties attempted a coup, stole top secret military documents, calls people animals, and told an enemy they can do whatever they want to an ally.

Oh wait.

Maybe if the leader of one of the parties attempted a coup, stole top secret military documents, calls people animals, and told an enemy they can do whatever they want to an ally.

Oh wait.
All that would be pretty bad, but first we’d have to see who the VP nominee is for the other party.

Back