• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Who cares what he said at the PC. Every other word was a lie. I refuse to believe he is that brain dead.

If we hire Russell fucking Turner after the worst job in the ACC got Buzz Williams, I won't watch Wake basketball anymore.

This weekend I posted that a classmate of mine texted me that one of his family friends, who is a Wake donor, said that Russell Turner as our next coach was a done deal. At the time of that text exchange, my friend didn't know if this person was a BoT member.

Welp. He just texted me and said he just found out this person is in fact a BoT member. I hope it's not Turner. The high from the past 24 hours (Buzz leaving and Duke losing) has once again turned to anxiety. Fuck.

I really doubt that BoT members have a sense of what Wellman is going to do. He seems to play these things close to the chest.

god i hope not. but i won't be surprised if it is, especially after what Ron was saying at yesterday's press conference about looking past the won-loss record of Buzz and digging deep to find the evidence that he's a good coach

He also went out of his way in the press release and press conference to say that most of the candidates are still coaching. If it was already locked up with Turner (a done deal) they probably would have left that spew off the bullet points since Turner is done for the year.

Buzz Williams to VT
Marshall to Marquette
Howland to USF
Shaka to Duke
Turner to Wake

Administration gets its wish and Quad is never rolled again.

I would say Wellman must be feeling a lot of extra pressure now, but I'm not convinced he has any clue what's going on, nor that any of the major donors particularly care. The idea we MIGHT have had Buzz Williams had Ron Wellman not waited a week for the inevitable...oh my God.

I wonder about Ron. I don't know how much of the Bz fiasco was arrogance versus incompetence. Everything about letting go of Grobe, the search, the Clawson hire, the rollout was done perfectly. But then you get the Bz PC and I don't know what the fuck is going on.

I always worry that:

1. Ron feels the pressure and recognizes this is a crucial hire and that he needs to hit big money home run
2. Hires Rick Barnes type thinking it is a home run because he is out of touch with the fan base and is an incompetent basketball evaluator

Man I missed this thread. Feels like forever. Has BobStacks been repin the #HowlIn game?

Really impressed by Masiello last night RSF

I wonder about Ron. I don't know how much of the Bz fiasco was arrogance versus incompetence. Everything about letting go of Grobe, the search, the Clawson hire, the rollout was done perfectly. But then you get the Bz PC and I don't know what the fuck is going on.

The difference is that Grobe and Ronald aren't passionate lovers.

Also:

Russell Turner.

He's a "Wellman Man".

Just don't expect a great hire. The guy(s) we want and the ones who make sense won't be the one who gets the job.

I'm willing to bet Turner is on the list...just by the way his name keeps coming up. Could be that a lot of our staff and people close to our staff have a connection to him. Doesn't mean he will get hired or even interviewed.

That's the only name I've heard...again, that probably doesn't mean anything because there are connections to him on staff and he remains in contact with them...however, it seemed odd to me that his name came up so many times throughout the course of the season.

Even GDO brought him up in conversation, saying he was doing good things at UCI.

I really don't think Wellman would be that stupid again.

Unless he gets turned down by his top two.

ETA: People might be pushing Turner because of existing relationships...I just don't see it happening. I was told his wife is very happy in Ca.

Wellman has been working on replacing Bz for several weeks. At this point, I would assume the list is down to three- maybe four- candidates.

Hopefully all of them are coaching their team today or tomorrow. The longer we wait to hear of the replacement, the better the coach.

All 3-4 potentials. I don't think the list has been narrowed down to 1 or 2...yet. Gotta see what happens in the NCAAT. March Madness.

Pretty sure the search began after the FSU loss...BabyDeac can probably say if it was earlier than that, but I first got wind of the resignation/coach search plan after that loss.

You don't buy the Howland rumors, eh?

I would say Amaker is looking very strong right now.

But...I would love for Wellman to Shaka the World!

I would love to see Shaka Smart on our sidelines. I imagine he would take kicking Roy and the rat's ass very serious.

Wellman won't hire him, though.

I may be the only one who doesn't hate the Capel. He ran into some problems in Oklahoma because he recruited some 5* primadonnas. Similar to Howland (though with less success). Aside from those issues his record is pretty promising. He brought VCU to prominence.

ETA: He's certainly below Howland or the top tier guys but compared to someone like Amaker it seems like they are comparable.

Ummm. Wasn't Howland like 25-9 with those prima donnas when he got canned?

Unfortunately, it sounds like Giglio has the inside scope. He even said that Wake has already done the legwork on those three. White is the only one I want anything to do with out of that list.

He can't have inside anything unless he's a mindreader. Only Wellman, and maybe Buddie, know who's on the list and in what order and I don't think either of them confide in this dip.

Back