• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Yeah, logically Shaka is turning down top 5 national programs just waiting to come to Winston-Salem.

Hey at least Wake did contact Izzo during the last search (according to most "insiders" or whatever you call them these days associated with Wake).

What's going to be awesome is when Shaka comes to Wake and proves rjkarl RIGHT and all you pessimistic, LOWF beanbags WRONG.

Of course, that will have to wait until Mr. and Mrs. Enfield have had their chance to lead the Deacs to glory. But, when Mr. and Mrs. Enfield retire from Wake after many years and multiple titles and after them and my wife and all our kids have vacationed several times together at the beach and also rented a cabin up in the NC mountains and roasted hotdogs and marshmallows on the campfire and gone hiking and had some drinks and some laughs and other good times amongst the fall foliage, that is when Shaka will come and you will all have to apologize to rjkarl.

What's going to be awesome is when Shaka comes to Wake and proves rjkarl RIGHT and all you pessimistic, LOWF beanbags WRONG.

Of course, that will have to wait until Mr. and Mrs. Enfield have had their chance to lead the Deacs to glory. But, when Mr. and Mrs. Enfield retire from Wake after many years and multiple titles and after them and my wife and all our kids have vacationed several times together at the beach and also rented a cabin up in the NC mountains and roasted hotdogs and marshmallows on the campfire and gone hiking and had some drinks and some laughs and other good times amongst the fall foliage, that is when Shaka will come and you will all have to apologize to rjkarl.

Stranger things have happened.

I think Shaka will coach at a school that isn't Duke or UNC or in the NBA.

It's because we'll throw a gajillion dollars at him and give him a 30 year contract

but y'all can call me psycho, but i think if we pony up big money and give him a 10 year contract, it won't be easy to turn down.

Yeah, logically Shaka is turning down top 5 national programs just waiting to come to Winston-Salem.

A Top 5 program that flies Southwest. I was surprised he didn't take, but this reinforces that he doesn't want to be at a big school.

He turned down at least a 7 year/2.6 million per contract with a 10 million dollar buyout at UCLA to make less than half of that at VCU.

Brad Stevens also turned down UCLA... maybe he wants to coach at Wake too? We'll just offer him more money than the Celtics.

Once again your failing condescending posts show your lack of paying attention and knowledge of these two coaches. Stevens' style fits the NBA. Shaka's doesn't.

Shaka's intensity and rah rah style doesn't work in the NBA. Stevens is more businesslike.

But don't let reality and the lack of knowledge of their styles get in the way of your arrogant ignorance.

Last edited:
He turned down at least a 7 year/2.6 million per contract with a 10 million dollar buyout at UCLA to make less than half of that at VCU.

Actually his package is much closer to $1.8M (and could be higher) due to reachable incentives.

Unless math has changed, a minimum of $3.25M up to a maximum of $4M/year is much higher than $2.6M. Add to that much lower taxes, incredibly lower housing costs and many other savings and the spread expands even more.

i think that Wake were to pursue shaka, not only would they have to throw 40 mil over 10 years, but offer his wife a teaching position of some sort.

Why limit it to 4 million? Let's offer him 7.5 mill a year. I'm sure we are willing to spend more on a basketball coach than UCLA.

Also, for someone who is pretty sensitive on these boards you sure do throw out a lot of name calling first rj.

Is there a preferred name on that list we'd want?

I would rather have a more experienced coach (obviously) but if those were the only choices... shit, I would go with Andy Toole. I can already see sign ideas "Can't fool the Toole".

i think that Wake were to pursue shaka, not only would they have to throw 40 mil over 10 years, but offer his wife a teaching position of some sort.

If we have some specific changes in leadership that I hope and think could happen, things like this could materialize. But what do I know... I'm just a slapdick dreamer.

Why limit it to 4 million? Let's offer him 7.5 mill a year. I'm sure we are willing to spend more on a basketball coach than UCLA.

ok, we get it, you think the best coach we can get is larry fucking eustacy or something ridiculous. sorry for having a little blind optimism

Back