• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paranormal Activity 3

OblongPickle

Reaction score
Saw this last night.

The driving plot is pretty good, I like the direction they took it, for the most part.

HOWEVER....

It really pisses me off that MANY (not just one or two, but MANY) of the key scenes from the previews weren't even in the movie at all

1) The girls playing Bloody Mary in the bathroom and the figure appearing when they left the bathroom, not in the movie
2) The mom talking to the girl and the girl says "Why don't you ask him yourself, he's standing right next to you" (that happened), and then threw the glass of water and a figure was seen standing there (that didn't)
3) The mom saying "We're getting out of here, just get in the car and drive!" and then getting slammed across the room, didn't happen
4) The "paranormal psychologist" guy in general wasn't in the film, and definitely not him sitting at the table saying "She may not know about it, but it definitely knows about..." and then gets slammed on the table/against the wall....didn't happen
5) The girl walking along the banister/jumping over the landing/banister for the upstairs bedroom and running back up the stairs...didn't happen
6) Only saw this in one preview, but the "knocking game" where the girls knock on the closet door twice and then there is a loud booming double knock from the other side of the wall....that didn't happen in the movie
7) The footage of the house burning down (as they mentioned in Paranormal Activity 1) didn't happen.

There are so many plotholes based on the first two films it's ridiculous...and I've seen movies cut stuff from the trailers, but never 95% of the footage like this movie did.

Like I said, it was a decent concept with the grandmother being a part of a coven who "marry" the young girls to demons and promise the first born male....but...some of it doesn't make sense.

In PA1, Katie always mentions seeing the figure at the foot of HER bed, when in PA3, it's Kristi that always sees/talks to "Toby".

What happened to Katie/Kristi's real dad? He was barely mentioned in this film at all....and if like in PA1, the house does burn down but "everyone got out ok", then that takes away a possible explanation of the Mom/Stepdad's deaths.

If the grandmother DID do the ritual and promise the demon the first born male, and THEN brainwashed the girls like Dennis BRIEFLY mentions when talking about the picture of the Coven, then why/how do the girls remember their mom, but not Dennis....how are their deaths explained away to the girls?...

The prevailing opinion is that this showed Katie when she was 8, so that PA4 will show the girls when Katie is around 13 and will have the demon move on to Katie maybe?...and maybe THAT is when the house burning down comes in?

Maybe the girls go live with their real dad (or Grandmother?) and all of that is filled in later?

I do like the idea of starting with the latest events and each successive movie going to a different time in their past.

Anyway....does anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

Would love to hear some.

All I can say is that I enjoyed the first two installments WAY more than I expected to, especially for what were basically random RedBox rentals.

I really like this kind of story...playing on primal fear of the unknown/unseen...

And they have generally done a good job with the plot.

But the things I addressed above really irritated me.

The movie was still good, but seemed like they held back too much.

Definitely agree on the first two films. I haven't seen 3 yet, so I'm holding off on reading the spoilers in the original post.

saw it the other day and i was terrified from start to finish. i thought the quality of the film overall was better than the first two, and i also thought this was the scariest of the three. easily worth the 4 dollar ticket

There is a ton of footage not in the theatrical release that will be on the Blu-ray. I read that somewhere.

Saw the movie tonight. Thought it was just as tense as the previous 2.

IMO, the best and most noteworthy part of these films is the way the filmmakers set up the cameras. Very skillfully done (e.g., setting up the cameras so that you see the bed and the open door; the camera in the girls' bedroom where you can't see "Toby's room"; the oscillating fan camera in this one was particularly effective). The actual plot and "mythology" of these movies has always been murky and not all that interesting. It's great that they're trying to tie them together, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I really don't care about cutting stuff from the trailers. This is definitely not the first movie where that has been the case. Not sure why one would care much about that.

Also, if they keep making these movies, I assume at some point they will finally show us that Katie chick's giant boobs.

Saw the movie tonight. Thought it was just as tense as the previous 2.

IMO, the best and most noteworthy part of these films is the way the filmmakers set up the cameras. Very skillfully done (e.g., setting up the cameras so that you see the bed and the open door; the camera in the girls' bedroom where you can't see "Toby's room"; the oscillating fan camera in this one was particularly effective). The actual plot and "mythology" of these movies has always been murky and not all that interesting. It's great that they're trying to tie them together, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I really don't care about cutting stuff from the trailers. This is definitely not the first movie where that has been the case. Not sure why one would care much about that.

It's usually not a big deal...most movies have one or maybe two small scenes in the trailers that don't make it on the big screen.

Every single "jump" or "scare" in the trailers of this movie is cut out of the film version....it's misrepresentation and the entire time I was watching it, I found myself thinking "oh this is where they will call the psych guy" or "this is where the little girl is going to jump over the banister".

I found it frustrating....it's funny though, when I saw the previews I thought to myself that they went overboard with the violence and physical nature of the entity throwing people around and interacting with them physically...then they didn't have that in the film, so it's really two separate things.

But I 100% agree that the "cinematography" or the placement of the cameras is what makes these films so great at what they do....they use what you don't see and what you don't know to scare the piss out of you.

I like them for what they are, but the keep teasing the mythology and making you think this is more than just a "make you jump" horror movie...pick one or the other and they will be fine.

Also, if they keep making these movies, I assume at some point they will finally show us that Katie chick's giant boobs.

One can only hope....she's pretty attractive!

Katie-Featherston-2.jpg

Last edited:
First 2 were much better and we still haven't seen Katie's boobs.

Haven't seen the third one. I loved the first, but found the second one disappointing.

I saw the first one on Saturday night. I thought it had a lot of potential but thought the "demon" or whatever it was, would taunt and torment them for a lot longer. I know that if that was me I'd been freaked out as hell, but I don't know if I liked the ending...seemed to abrupt. I guess the "mystery" is part of the movie. Over all I guess I liked it and it was scary, but I guess I expected more.

Is the second one a prequel to the first or does it pick up after the first (My understanding is that the third definitely is a prequel)

Katie is thick.

I saw the first one on Saturday night. I thought it had a lot of potential but thought the "demon" or whatever it was, would taunt and torment them for a lot longer. I know that if that was me I'd been freaked out as hell, but I don't know if I liked the ending...seemed to abrupt. I guess the "mystery" is part of the movie. Over all I guess I liked it and it was scary, but I guess I expected more.

Is the second one a prequel to the first or does it pick up after the first (My understanding is that the third definitely is a prequel)

Katie is thick.

Second one kind of runs parallel to the first. I was also really disappointed with the ending to the first, but the lead up and the unintentional shadows in the hallway were horror movie greatness.

Back