• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Patrick Ewing new Georgetown coach

stratt

Reaction score
thoughts? NVM, just saw on other thread. mods delete

Similar to the Avery Johnson hire (who at least had been an NBA head coach) no college coaching experience. Would be helpful if he has a former college head coach as an assistant. Wouldn't be surprised if current Michigan State recruit Jaren Jackson Jr. tries to get released from his commitment to play for his dad's teammate (the elder Jackson may join the G'town staff).

My girlfriend from a million years ago waited on him and he was a terrible tipper. That's all I got.

I don't think it's a bad hire. Probably as good a name as they could get. Time will tell if he can be a good college coach.

I'll guess one reason this took a while is that Ewing wanted and I would guess he got a verbal "OK" from Big John that he become the next coach at Georgetown, following JTIII.

I'll guess one reason this took a while is that Ewing wanted and I would guess he got a verbal "OK" from Big John that he become the next coach at Georgetown, following JTIII.

Yeah, they say Big John still runs the show pretty much, but maybe not since JTIII got canned.

Yeah, they say Big John still runs the show pretty much, but maybe not since JTIII got canned.

GTown basketball reminds me of Michigan's obsession with getting a "Michigan Man" to coach them. It failed miserably, until it didn't. It's a silly restraint to put on your school.

Big John still has an office in the Georgetown athletic complex...right down the hall from the office of the basketball coach. Make no mistake, he still has an extraordinary amount of influence on Georgetown basketball. Big John finally may have been willing to recognize that JTIII wasn't getting the job done in the current Big East, and accepted that change was necessary. However, keeping it in the "coaching family" may have helped some.

From the Washington Post: "The hire is a sign that John Thompson II remains a powerful force within the school. There was little doubt Ewing would take this job if he didn’t have the blessing of the elder Thompson..."

Link to full story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mens-basketball-coach/?utm_term=.1a5fc7a093b0

Last edited:
Big John still has an office in the Georgetown athletic complex...right down the hall from the office of the basketball coach. Make no mistake, he still has an extraordinary amount of influence on Georgetown basketball. Big John finally may have been willing to recognize that JTIII wasn't getting the job done in the current Big East, and accepted that change was necessary. However, keeping it in the "coaching family" may have helped some.

From the Washington Post: "The hire is a sign that John Thompson II remains a powerful force within the school. There was little doubt Ewing would take this job if he didn’t have the blessing of the elder Thompson..."

Local media made it sound like this was not the case. They accepted that potentially losing JTII as a consequence of firing JTIII was worth it. I think they figured JTII loves the GTown attention/money and would have to get over his son getting canned.

Well he didn't get over it that much. Ewing is the most famous player he coached.

Big John worked the Final Four for Westwood One but didn't travel to AZ for "family issues." Have to imagine being involved in this process was why he stayed in DC

My girlfriend from a million years ago waited on him and he was a terrible tipper. That's all I got.

In his defense, he was probably told it was taken care of.

Mr. Ewing, the former center for the New York Knicks who joined the Orlando Magic last week, said he never paid the dancers for the oral sex he received, or the club for the drinks and the private V.I.P. room where the incidents took place.

''I was told it was taken care of,'' he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/24/us/in-testimony-patrick-ewing-tells-of-favors-at-strip-club.html

In his defense, he was probably told it was taken care of.

Mr. Ewing, the former center for the New York Knicks who joined the Orlando Magic last week, said he never paid the dancers for the oral sex he received, or the club for the drinks and the private V.I.P. room where the incidents took place.

''I was told it was taken care of,'' he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/24/us/in-testimony-patrick-ewing-tells-of-favors-at-strip-club.html

LOL. Had forgotten all that. A very Louisville type atmosphere.

Back