• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Finished Say Nothing a week or two ago. Very compelling and learned a lot about a topic that I only knew a little about previously. Tremendous storytelling.

Just started Empire of Pain about the Sacklers. Very much looking forward to it.

Thanks to whoever recommended All the Shah's Men. Think it might have been @TownieDeac. Really great read.

I just started White Noise by DeLillo and I'm really digging it so far. I'm only like 50 pages in but I already like it more than Libra.

Underworld is one of my favorite works, so if you dig white noise, I would recommend parlaying that into underworld.

Underworld is one of my favorite works, so if you dig white noise, I would recommend parlaying that into underworld.
It's high up in the queue. I enjoyed Libra, but parts of it were a bit of a slog. It sounds like Underworld leans into post-modernism similarly to White Noise, so I think I'll really like it.

stumbled upon a new Errol Morris documentary on AppleTV about Le Carre, focusing on his childhood and early life that shaped his worldview and thus his books -- started last night but haven't finished it yet

Le Carre passed away in 2020 -- all the interviews were done in 2019 -- documentary seems to have been released to a wider audience in the last few weeks

called The Pigeon Tunnel

It's high up in the queue. I enjoyed Libra, but parts of it were a bit of a slog. It sounds like Underworld leans into post-modernism similarly to White Noise, so I think I'll really like it.

It certainly does, but in a way that I think most would find palatable. It is definitely a long read, but I wouldn’t call it dense. What makes it great, imho, is the interweaving of the overarching theme into so many sub plots without it once feeling forced. That and, of course, the prologue.

Managed to get close to fifty years of age before ever reading anything by Willa Cather and picked up O Pioneers over Thanksgiving on a whim. Wow, wow, wow, just stupendously great. Now I'm nearly done with My Antonia and it's just as good or better. Don't know how I missed the boat on her.

I liked Underworld, but I really had to work at it and I haven’t gone back to DeLillo since.

Are people who read “Shogun” excited or skeptical about the upcoming FX series? Seems like it could be a tough one to adapt to film.

Last edited:
About a third through The Three Body Problem and I think it's pretty good so far, anyone finished the trilogy and how did you like it?

About a third through The Three Body Problem and I think it's pretty good so far, anyone finished the trilogy and how did you like it?
Haven’t read the whole trilogy, but read the three body problem earlier this year. I really liked it although I thought it got bogged down and the technical some.

Haven’t read the whole trilogy, but read the three body problem earlier this year. I really liked it although I thought it got bogged down and the technical some.
Granted I'm still early in the book but I didn't expect it to branch off into the VR computer game plotline. Reminded me a little of Ready Player One but I hope that's not a central part of the story or if so that it's handled well.

Here are my top 10 favorite books I read this year, with little write ups that don’t want to give anything away:

10. Tacky - Rax King

Well shit, this one hits all the different emotions. It’s hilarious, it’s raunchy, it’s brutally sad, it’s nostalgic, and through it you can live vicariously through someone who refused to waste their youth. This is a memoir, it’s a gonzo trip through drugs and sex and pain and pleasure, it’s a revelation. One of the most honest and open and revealing books I’ve read in years.

9. The Hunger - Alma Katsu

Wow, one of the best written scary books I’ve read. The terror lives in the subtlety as much as the gore, it’s about how fear builds from basic human needs like food and safety. It’s a great and unique setting for a novel too, the American frontier, where anything and everything can kill you. Brilliant!

8. Catch and Kill - Ronan Farrow

Whew. This book is so explosive. It confirm a lot of my biases about how the powerful protect themselves, but the details are still harrowing. It’s well written, funny at times, and mostly just so discouraging about elite circles of power.

7. These Silent Woods - Kimi Cunningham

There were long stretches of this book that were my favorite storytelling I’ve read in years. This story manages to be taut, self contained, tense and high in stakes, emotional without sentimentality. The basic plot of a father doing whatever it takes for his child really cut to my core, but the writing was superb, and it kept me riveted.

6. The Anomaly - Herve Le Tellier

I absolutely loved this book—it completely blew away any minimal expectations I had for it. It made me want to check out more Goncourt Prize winners, more Le Tellier, more sci-fi, more more more. It places character first and story second, but the story is excellent, and it really takes its time to unfold but never feels slow, and it presents beautiful moral challenges that it brilliantly works through. I can’t highly recommend this enough.

5. Heartland - Sarah Smarsh

In the tradition of Barbara Ehrenreich, this is a poetic and poignant look at how the rural white working class lives in America. Told as a love letter to an imagined child, the story spans generations of transient heartland women and families in the latter half of the 20th Century. Though the tales within it are familiar, the telling is so clear and honest and revealing, I would recommend it to anyone.

4. Nuclear Family - Joseph Han

I can’t do justice to a pithy, three sentence review of this book. One metaphor that will stick with me is about the Korean-Hawaiian family restaurant caught between generations, trying to stick to its roots but needing to appeal to white tourists. The book covers so much about family and culture and religion and drugs and ghosts and memories and politics, it’s going to stick with me for a long time.

3. Bunny - Mona Awad

I went from wanting to give this two stars and being one of my favorite reads of the year to no stars and feeling entirely unmoored and unsure of what I’d read over the course of this one. The meta narrative about creating reality is a very cool idea, but the story becomes very tough to follow, and the viscera and gore start to feel like the point. This is really interesting, and I’ll be thinking about it for a while.

2. Migrations - Charlotte McConaughey

I will never forget listening to the last hour or so of this audiobook driving from LA to Thousand Oaks, flying past canyons on the freeway, tears streaming down my face. This book contains so much grief for the planet and its dying species that its characters ache. The slow reveal of the story is brilliant and brutal and will leave me thinking about it for a long time. A must read.

1. Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver

I don’t want to say too much to spoil this book, except that everyone should read it. Poisonwood Bible was one of the books that restarted my love of reading after college, and though this book is a complete gut punch, it’s also one of the best I’ve read in many years. Kingsolver at her best is one of the finest living novelists.

I should say about my “star” system, I just keep a note on my phone that lists all the books I read this year, and I write 3 or 4 sentences about each one and give it a rating from 0-2 stars. One means I’d recommend it, it’s good, 2 means truly outstanding. All ten of these had 2 stars, a good ratio for the year (up to 127 books and counting).

I am on Book 8 of the War of Light and Shadow series. It's been an entertaining read but it is certainly a slog at times. I feel like a better editor would have gone a long way. I also somehow just discovered that the damn series isn't even finished, Book 11 is in the editing phase. This woman's gotta be like 80 so I mean wrap that shit up. I'm normally a pretty quick reader (read in the mornings and evenings before bed plus during downtime at work/days off) and it's been MONTHS on this series

6. The Anomaly - Herve Le Tellier

I absolutely loved this book—it completely blew away any minimal expectations I had for it. It made me want to check out more Goncourt Prize winners, more Le Tellier, more sci-fi, more more more. It places character first and story second, but the story is excellent, and it really takes its time to unfold but never feels slow, and it presents beautiful moral challenges that it brilliantly works through. I can’t highly recommend this enough.
i keep a list of books in my notes app on my phone that i reference when i go to used bookstores and this one has been on there a while

something about finding a long-sought book in a used bookstore instead of going to the library for it is a very small thrill

Has anybody read the Sun Eater series? I've seen a lot of positive reviews. I don't read a ton of sci-fi but it sounds like it's more like a space drama type deal with politics/hero's quest/etc

Back