• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Travel Service - China

TAG1615

Reaction score
I'm headed to China on Monday for 6 weeks. I have a plane ticket into Beijing and one out of Hong Kong. That is about the extent of the planning I have done so far. I've done a fair amount of budget traveling/backpacking before, but I have never been to China. I'm looking for any recommendations on must see places to visit, awesome meals, good spots to stay (probably hostels). Generally I like to get to places that are lest touristy and a little more adventurous, but I also want to see the big ticket items. I'll be traveling by myself, but I do have some friends in Hong Kong.

Any and all recommendations and advice from fellow Deacs are appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you can tell the difference between a bowl of brown rice and a bowl of maggots. This will come in handy at least once.

Quick test: Maggots or Rice? More difficult than you though, huh?

images

Pack your own food because theirs is terrible. Real talk

I'm contemplating a trip to China in the next month or two, so bumping this for any advice. If I pull the trigger, it will be with a tour company, so the cities would be set, but the tours have a lot of free time on the itineraries. Any must see/do things or restaurant recommendations for Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and/or Shanghai?

I'm contemplating a trip to China in the next month or two, so bumping this for any advice. If I pull the trigger, it will be with a tour company, so the cities would be set, but the tours have a lot of free time on the itineraries. Any must see/do things or restaurant recommendations for Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and/or Shanghai?

Shanghai is an absolute can't miss. Skip Beijing long before you skip Shanghai.

Invest in a filter mask. Not kidding if you are going to spend any time in Beijing.

If you are going to the Wall from Beijing - go to the Moutanyou (spelling?) site, not Badaling (spelling?). It is a little farther away but less crowded and prettier.

Shanghai is an absolute can't miss. Skip Beijing long before you skip Shanghai.

Shanghai is amazing. Visit the Bund just to get the touristy sight seeing out of the way. After that, go spend some time in one of the markets and absorb how much capitalism has invaded the People's Republic.

The air is lethal in Shanghai sometimes. Bring a mask.

Back