• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh restaurants

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
My wife is from Pittsburgh and we are spending Christmas there. Wife has given the go ahead to go out for a nice dinner Friday as a consolation. I have been to Western PA a million times but I have never been out to a nice restaurant. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Been living in the Burgh for a couple years, so hopefully these help.

- Piccolo Forno (Lawrenceville) - solid Italian spot that has BYOB, so be sure to bring a bottle of wine if you go here.

- Butcher and the Rye (Downtown) - known for its whiskey selection, but the food is great as well. Brussel sprout appetizer is a must.

- Monterey Bay Fish Grotto (Mount Washington) - the most expensive of the group, but the seabass I got here was maybe the best seafood I've ever had. Ridiculously good view of the city as well if you can get near a window.

Last edited:
You won't be able to go this time, but if you are ever planning for a future trip, Wild Rosemary is really good. I went there with my friend and her parents when I was in Pittsburgh for a wedding and we all really enjoyed our meals. The place is tiny and apparently you need to make reservations at least three months in advance, but I thought it was delicious. It's BYOB too, which I always like.

I like the Church Brew Works on Liberty avenue as well as Shiloh Grille on Mt. Washington. No view but food is good.

Primanti brothers is the most overrated sandwich ever.

Eh, it's part of the Pittsburgh experience (I grew up there). Of course, I would say you should go somewhere like Eat N Park, which is completely unremarkable but is a staple of life there.

Going to Shoney's is not my idea of a good dinner.

Eh, it's part of the Pittsburgh experience (I grew up there). Of course, I would say you should go somewhere like Eat N Park, which is completely unremarkable but is a staple of life there.

definitely gonna be stoked when I get to eat some honeybuns on Christmas morning that my grandma brings back. I'll eat a smiley cookie at some point too but that's basically only out of nostalgia.

how is primanti bros in the discussion for a nice dinner? it's right at home in the discussion for a decent lunch while on break from the docks.

Probably not what you're looking for, but Diamond Market Bar & Grill is fantastic. We enjoyed it so much that we went back again in the short time we were in Pittsburgh.

Alright ...looks like we are doing Monterey Bay Fish Grotto. Probably going to be underdressed but what the hell...this is Pittsburgh.

what the hell is underdressed for pittsburgh? not wearing a steelers jersey?

We did opt for Monterey Bay Fish Grotto.

Lucky enough to get a window seat. It was a very good dinner (would not say that it was the best seafood I have ever had but no complaints). I would say that the food was a solid B (I had the Halibut and the wife had a stuffed Tuna) and the view was an A+. All and all it was worth it. Picture I took...but it doesn't really capture the view.

10881507_10204329783597444_1198658412836827143_n.jpg

Back