• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Again, is there a reason to think Smart should be at the top of the list, given his mediocre results in the past 7 years?

It makes sense in my head but I admittedly know next to nothing about contract details, buyouts, etc.

Is there any way that could work out? Genuinely asking - I have no clue of the legality and things. Could a new contract be drawn up stating those things can happen? Or is the only possible scenario that both schools fire our coaches, pay the buyouts we owe, and have to hire a new coach?

Let's just make an NFL style salary dump trade, Shaka for Manning straight up and Texas fires Manning same day.

sure - we can draw up a new contract for Manning with no buy-out language

might have a little bit of difficulty getting him to sign it

as someone stated earlier, UT will probably not need to pay Shaka whatever some other school offers him - and that is the most likely deal for WF/Manning; but nobody is going to hire Manning to be a HC

No Dookie who thinks he has a real shot at replacing K would even consider the Wake job. Nor should we think about offering that person.

This is correct. They're all out there in the wilderness trying to show they're good enough to be named his successor. I can't believe people actually think Wojo is worth discussing. And no way in effing hell is Duke going to name Wes Effing Miller K's successor over one of the Duke guys.

This is correct. They're all out there in the wilderness trying to show they're good enough to be named his successor. I can't believe people actually think Wojo is worth discussing. And no way in effing hell is Duke going to name Wes Effing Miller K's successor over one of the Duke guys.

I don't get the asinine belief that you shouldn't talk to someone (Woj or any other coach who has a dream job out there) on the assumption they would say no to hold out for their dream job or would leave for that dream job. You HAVE THE DISCUSSION. It goes something like this:

Hi Woj, this is the new athletic director at Wake Forest, Joe Blow. As you know, I just replaced the Wellster. We fired Danny because he didn't win. Good guy, didn't win. Want to know if you'd like to talk about the Wake job.

Woj: I'll certainly listen, Mr. Blow. No harm in listening. OR he'd say no

Then you talk about the job, the expectations, and the money. You ask him his point-by-point plan for rebuilding Wake into a perennial top 20 team - how would he get there? How long he'd think it take? How would you maintain it under an ever-changing college-NBA dynamic?

If you like the answer, you keep going. Then, you'd say, we'd you to make a 4 year commitment. In other words, if you quit for any other job, NBA or college, then YOU pay a buyout of $$$. Can you add a clause in a contract that says, if you leave for Duke, the buyout is your left testicle, your youngest child, and $20mil? Maybe you do that too if you think he's the best guy for the job.

The worst thing that could happen is he says thanks but no thanks.

Under the RJ -MichDeac25 theory, you never approach the pretty girl and ask her out because she could leave you for QB1 at anytime. It is approaching a hopeful opportunity with the glass half empty and a feeling of dread. If Woj or any other coach succeeds at Wake to a degree that other programs, including Duke want him, where we are now, that is not a bad problem to have. Call it the Clawson problem. It's what big boys have to deal with. Believe me, if Woj comes to Wake and goes 60-60 over 4 years, with the 4th year resulting in barely an NIT appearance, Duke will look elsewhere anyway.

So, basically, nothing.

Already responded to if it's new info or not. It was about the fact that Shaka could be available after the season.

VCU guy. That wasn't really my point in pointing that out though. Mainly saying there are a good number of Texas fans that want Shaka gone. The thread was started after last basketball season and has continued through this year.

I don't get the asinine belief that you shouldn't talk to someone (Woj or any other coach who has a dream job out there) on the assumption they would say no to hold out for their dream job or would leave for that dream job. You HAVE THE DISCUSSION. It goes something like this:

Hi Woj, this is the new athletic director at Wake Forest, Joe Blow. As you know, I just replaced the Wellster. We fired Danny because he didn't win. Good guy, didn't win. Want to know if you'd like to talk about the Wake job.

Woj: I'll certainly listen, Mr. Blow. No harm in listening. OR he'd say no

Then you talk about the job, the expectations, and the money. You ask him his point-by-point plan for rebuilding Wake into a perennial top 20 team - how would he get there? How long he'd think it take? How would you maintain it under an ever-changing college-NBA dynamic?

If you like the answer, you keep going. Then, you'd say, we'd you to make a 4 year commitment. In other words, if you quit for any other job, NBA or college, then YOU pay a buyout of $$$. Can you add a clause in a contract that says, if you leave for Duke, the buyout is your left testicle, your youngest child, and $20mil? Maybe you do that too if you think he's the best guy for the job.

The worst thing that could happen is he says thanks but no thanks.

Under the RJ -MichDeac25 theory, you never approach the pretty girl and ask her out because she could leave you for QB1 at anytime. It is approaching a hopeful opportunity with the glass half empty and a feeling of dread. If Woj or any other coach succeeds at Wake to a degree that other programs, including Duke want him, where we are now, that is not a bad problem to have. Call it the Clawson problem. It's what big boys have to deal with. Believe me, if Woj comes to Wake and goes 60-60 over 4 years, with the 4th year resulting in barely an NIT appearance, Duke will look elsewhere anyway.

It's not that Wake thinks he'll leave us, it's that there is zero upside for Wojo coming to Wake.

I know there's nothing else to talk about but this, and we still have another few weeks until Manning is canned, but holy shit have we really so exhausted this topic for now that we're talking about Shaka Smart coming to Wake? That is so not going to happen.

talking about matta is just as ridiculous

Why? What job is Matta gonna get if/when he comes back?

woohoo i made broderick hicks level!

can you clarify your question? are you saying "who would offer him a job?" if he isn't good enough to have options (like UCLA), then why should wake offer.
this is solely opinion here - i just feel he's been out for two years and whether legit or not, he left for health reasons (i know there were supposedly other factors). why would he decide to come back to try to rescue the wake program from the abyss? seems like a lot of work if he did leave ohio state due to health concerns.

BTW, I can't find it but was told there was a current ( within 1 year ) list on USAToday ranking the top 60 coaching salaries/compensation. Manning was on the list at around #53 or 54.

Mentions original salary of $1.2 million and getting a 'bump' to $1.7 million plus extention but no info on buy-out provision if any.

IF accurate, this is substantially less than that info that was posted of Manning getting $3.0 million annually with $18 million due him.

It's all conjecture on Matta's health, none of us really know. So I fail to see why talk of him returning and coaching here is "ridiculous."

Turning around a basketball program is overrated. This isn't football -- a couple dudes and you're on your way. If he wants to get back in Wake makes as much sense as any non top-top job

Back