• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

The PAC-12 is pretty bad in basketball. Why hasn’t Turner drawn some offers from them?

There's a lot in here that I'd argue with, but I am most curious about is why you think moving up from high school to having a top 25 team in 6 years is a bad thing. At worst, seems pretty elitist. But way more than that, just seems incredibly narrow-minded -- guys who can rapidly move up the chain due to their merit / success (not being part of an ole boys club) is exactly what you look for (not just in basketball). His rise (and the story and reasons behind it) are some of the biggest reasons he's so coveted.

I edited my post to add some reasons to the end. It's certainly not a bad thing that he has risen fast, but here are my biggest concerns:

1) He took over a Buffalo job that was elevated under Hurley. Yes he was an assistant, but Hurley ran the show. Turner and Forbes built their current teams from a much lower starting point. He hasn't had to do that in college as a head coach.

2) Going from high school to D1 head coach is extremely unusual that quickly. So sure, he could just be an amazing coach. But also there is some risk that he hasn't been through a lot of different situations and had to succeed at multiple places, where Turner and Forbes have. He has never recruited at p6. He has not worked with the NBA. He has not had to build a college program from a low level as a head coach. WF is at a low level right now. Turner and Forbes have done this.

So for me, that would make him a riskier hire. But I can understand your points, he may be that damn good.

Paddy, I get Forbes success. But anyone who goes to work for Pearl knows what he's getting into. Pearl has been maybe the sleaziest college coach of the last couple of decades. If we want to maintain the image that we're a different kind of special school, that's a road that you just don't go down. Especially when we've already been dragged into this nationwide scandal via volleyball. I get Turner and am warming up to him more, but not Forbes.

Paddy, I get Forbes success. But anyone who goes to work for Pearl knows what he's getting into. Pearl has been maybe the sleaziest college coach of the last couple of decades. If we want to maintain the image that we're a different kind of special school, that's a road that you just don't go down. Especially when we've already been dragged into this nationwide scandal via volleyball. I get Turner and am warming up to him more, but not Forbes.
lol

Turner has been at UC Irvine for 9 years. They are #75 on KenPom right behind Northwestern. Pretty low level game last night. Would have to win a game or two in the NCAAs to merit serious consideration.

Why would one or two wins in a tournament be given more weight than his course of performance at UC - I

Bruce Pearl has be to considered. Along with Jay Wright, Kevin Willard, Mick Cronin, Mark Few, Chris Holtmann, John Beilein

93, you have a better chance at having a threesome tonight with ScarJo and Keira Knightly than we have at having getting Jay Wright or Mark Few.

93, you have a better chance at having a threesome tonight with ScarJo and Keira Knightly than we have at having getting Jay Wright or Mark Few.

Why? Who wouldn't want to leave a shitty conference to battle in the best basketball conference? They could elevate their legacy by coming to Wake!

Why? Who wouldn't want to leave a shitty conference to battle in the best basketball conference? They could elevate their legacy by coming to Wake!

Do you know ANYTHING about those guys? If you ask that question you must not.

Wright's wife loves Philly. I'd guess the only job he'd leave 'Nova for is the Sixers.

Few has turned down tons of major offers. There's no way he'd ever consider Wake.

Lavelle Moton from N.C. Central is a heck of an interview. Man that guy just exudes energy. Don't know enough about his coaching to say if he could hack the jump to the ACC from the MEAC but he seems to have IT.

Last edited:

Wright's wife loves Philly. I'd guess the only job he'd leave 'Nova for is the Sixers.

Few has turned down tons of major offers. There's no way he'd ever consider Wake.

You must know them well......:eek:

Where Villanova is on the Main Line is not exactly “Philly”. 😊

Still like Oats but open to new names that may come into play over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
If Turner has his choice between Wake and VT, that will not be an easy decision for him. Short term, if Blackshear comes back, Tech should finish in the top 10 in conference. Long term, Wake is an easier place to recruit to but has a smaller pool of recruits it can get into school. Facilities are equal, or will be once the practice facility is finished. Even with upgrades, the Joel may still not provide a better game experience than the Cassell.

I can assure you that Russell Turner is not going to have multiple ACC schools offering him a job.

Back