• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

There’s some evidence that most of Smart’s talent acquisition at VCU was mainly Will Wade. Make of that what you will.

Yes, I'm sure he's going to keep the same strategy that best serves him at Buffalo that won't best serve him at Wake

BTW Oats landed a 4-star and high 3-star who are Freshmen on this year's team. But go ahead and join the rank of fucktards suggesting completely underwhelming coaches Wake could hire. Meanwhile Oats shows signs of being a top 25 coach in college basketball.

Relax. He built his program with Juco transfers. You can't do that at Wake. Thats the point.

Last edited:
Relax douche bags. He built his programs with Juco transfers. You can't do that at Wake. Thats the point.

Quotes from Oats:
Ideally, you’d probably try to find at least one or two high school guys there,” Oats said. “But if we don’t find high school guys that we think are good enough to compete in this program right away, then we’re not going to take them."

“At this level where we are right now, being able to get in the top 25, I think we just have to find the best players that have a high character that fit with our culture right now, wherever they may come from, transfers, JUCOs, high school, prep school, whatever it is.”

Quote from his Assistant Coach at UB:

“From a recruiting standpoint, good luck replacing Jeremy Harris with a high school kid. Or replacing C.J. Massinburg with a high school kid,” Hodgson said. “So that’s kind of why we tend to go the junior college route. You find me three high school kids that can replace (seniors) Jeremy Harris, Nick Perkins and C.J. Massinburg and I’ll show you three kids going to the ACC, you know what I mean?”

But you look at a headline and don't know how to comprehend the whole article or its context, thats cool. Just don't act like you know what you're talking about. Oats is using a strategy that UB allows him to use to win games. He still can and does recruit good high school players, but 25% of his roster comes from JUCO because he can make that work well for him. As his assistant points out, if he was at an ACC school he could replenish his talent with HS players, but HS players going to Buffalo in the MAC typically aren't good enough to make up at top 25 team.

Enough people have said it at this point that I think it’s a legitimate possibility

You'd pass on a 41 year old Final Four coach in favor of the next tier of candidates who maybe won their low or mid major tournament?

I agree with your basic point but keep visualizing Paul Hewitt when folks bring up a Final Four appearance as a huge plus on a resume.

I agree with your basic point but keep visualizing Paul Hewitt when folks bring up a Final Four appearance as a huge plus on a resume.

Wake hasn't been to a Final Four in 57 years. Having a coach who knows what it is like to get there has to be a plus.

Back