• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Miami)

Yeah the 04-05 season (w/ the streak)... we were 68.4% (182nd nationally). But that was mostly because Big E was terrible at the line (56.9%) and shot by far the most free throws (225 vs. 187 for CP3, 118 for Gray).

I had forgotten that Downey missed to end the streak (and that kept us from winning the FSU game).

More painfully was that shot was halfway down, and just rimmed out. UGH

I think Manning just likes big rotations. Last year, he had 8 players who played 20+ minutes a game. Only two of them missed any games. He had two more players who played 17 and 13 minutes each in every game.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tulsa/2014.html

Our hope is that Crawford, Collins, and Moore can replace Jones, Rountree, and Washington in the rotation.

We couldn't score in the halfcourt without MW, Greek, Leonard and Crab. DT must have a record number of turnovers this season. MJ and CMM are rendered ineffective by defenses who get back to prevent the break. If our shooters are hitting like they did against NCSU and Miami( mostly in first halves),we can beat most anybody. Otherwise ,it gets ugly .

I think the justification is that our second unit is awful on offense. If you swap one of those guys out for Rountree such that Rountree is on the second unit, it will be even harder to score with those guys. Have to maintain some balance throughout the game.

I think this is a great point. Whether Hudson or McClinton are better offensively than Rountree is not much of a question, I think Rountree should be starting because we already have our 4 other best scorers on the floor with him. That 5th starter is not going to be the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd options. It is way more important to not have a significant offensive drop-off when those guys start subbing in and out. I think it was said previously that Aaron and Madison shouldn't be on the court together for very long because neither one can reliability hit from outside of 15 feet. I think having Aaron in the starting lineup actually helps the team balance out throughout the game. Especially if he can attempt to help out with Dino's defensive coverage.

I think Manning just likes big rotations. Last year, he had 8 players who played 20+ minutes a game. Only two of them missed any games. He had two more players who played 17 and 13 minutes each in every game.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tulsa/2014.html

Our hope is that Crawford, Collins, and Moore can replace Jones, Rountree, and Washington in the rotation.

I'm confident that Collins and Moore will be big upgrades over those two, but disagree on Jones. I like Mitch playing with Codi, and think having Jones and Crawford out there together with the second team will work really well. I've been a big critic of Jones, but he has really stepped it up this year and deserves playing time. He is a good defender, has gotten way better taking care of the ball, and has turned into a very capable driver. Assuming Crawford can shoot relatively well, I think they would play well together. I just hate when Codi and Jones are on the court together, since neither can shoot from the outside and it kills our half court set.

Jones was turrrible last night. I do agree he has improved but it wouldn't bother me to see him only spot minutes as an aggressive defender.

That FT streak is the most unlikely damn streak of all-time. And the circumstances of it -- going 100% in the UNC game (which is one of the 2 or 3 biggest games we've played in the past 20 years) and then having the streak broken when Downey (our best FT shooter) gets fouled MAKING a fucking 3-pointer at the buzzer while down 3 @ FSU....holy shit man holy shit.

making it even stranger - four days before the UNC game we played MD and shot terribly from the line. We were 18-35, and everyone here was upset about it. Just bizarre.

I get frustrated with shot selection at times. I know DM says he doesn't preach shot selection and trusts his guys to take good shots, but the reality is we do shoot a lot of outside shots early in the shot clock. Leonard in particular, while effective last night, takes a lot of outside shots early in the shot clock.

The most amazing thing about that streak was Williams went to the line multiple times and didn't miss.

I'm confident that Collins and Moore will be big upgrades over those two, but disagree on Jones. I like Mitch playing with Codi, and think having Jones and Crawford out there together with the second team will work really well. I've been a big critic of Jones, but he has really stepped it up this year and deserves playing time. He is a good defender, has gotten way better taking care of the ball, and has turned into a very capable driver. Assuming Crawford can shoot relatively well, I think they would play well together. I just hate when Codi and Jones are on the court together, since neither can shoot from the outside and it kills our half court set.

I'm hoping Crawford and our 2015 SG will be able to flesh out the second team, if not start outright.

I get frustrated with shot selection at times. I know DM says he doesn't preach shot selection and trusts his guys to take good shots, but the reality is we do shoot a lot of outside shots early in the shot clock. Leonard in particular, while effective last night, takes a lot of outside shots early in the shot clock.

Second half last night yes, but this is a strange comment after our passing in the first half was so, so good, leading to some fantastic open 3s.

I was actually extremely impressed that when Miami altered their defense and took away the open 3 from Dinos in the 2nd half he didn't jack up a bunch of bad 3's just because he was feeling it. He's not really a "heat check" kind of player.

I think our shot selection has drastically improved throughout the year.

I was actually extremely impressed that when Miami altered their defense and took away the open 3 from Dinos in the 2nd half he didn't jack up a bunch of bad 3's just because he was feeling it. He's not really a "heat check" kind of player.

I think our shot selection has drastically improved throughout the year.

Yep. I feel like the shots we take, even the early ones, are generally open looks in rhythm with the offense.

I think that is definitely part of it. There was a time in the 1st half last night (in the middle of one of our droughts) where we had 5 players on the floor who had no chance of running an effective offense (No CMM DT Dinos MW or Hudson). It was the stretch when we were up 17-5 and then let Miami back into it. Not sure what Manning was trying to do there.

If I am thinking of the same instance as you, he put that lineup in maybe 45 seconds on the front side of either the under-12 or under-8 TV timeout. I think he was just trying to get a long rest for the primary guys thinking it would only be a minute or so before the next dead ball. The problem was our awful play snowballed while never resulting in a deadball, so the timeout never came until a few minutes after would normally be expected. I can't remember if he ended up calling a timeout to eventually stop it or just rode it out until the TV timeout came. I think it was a decent idea given our lineup limitations, but that instance just fell into the shit happens category.

If I am thinking of the same instance as you, he put that lineup in maybe 45 seconds on the front side of either the under-12 or under-8 TV timeout. I think he was just trying to get a long rest for the primary guys thinking it would only be a minute or so before the next dead ball. The problem was our awful play snowballed while never resulting in a deadball, so the timeout never came until a few minutes after would normally be expected. I can't remember if he ended up calling a timeout to eventually stop it or just rode it out until the TV timeout came. I think it was a decent idea given our lineup limitations, but that instance just fell into the shit happens category.

Yeah- the coaches should inform Washington that if that happens, he just needs to foul somebody (non shooting) to get the timeout.

Totally agree. This is magnified when DT has foul trouble, because he gets tentative. He is the only big we have that can effectively give early help from the post. One criticism I have with Manning is that we don't give that early help quick enough. Part of the problem is that Dinos and Leonard are really slow to react off dribble penetration, but I think part is fundamentals. I do believe that once we get more athletic all around, that we will see Manning open up the defensive playbook a bit. It is easier to tell a big man to jump out on the penetrating guard when you know he can get there, and when you have a guard that can cover.

Defensive fundamentals are built over time. That was one of the most disappointing aspects of [Redacted]'s tenure. You can learn an offensive play in a week. It takes years to hone a defensive foundation IMO. I really believe that Manning is going to put together a great defensive product when all is said and done. But I do agree, that one of our main faults right now is early help out of the post on guard penetration.

I also agree and think that our inside defense is the weakest toward the end of games when Devin has at least three fouls and wants to avoid getting a fourth and a fifth. Maybe, DM could consider inserting Andre simply for defense near the end of games - even with Devin in the lineup - so that driving the lane is not so easy for our opponents. Lots of times coaches try to rotate defensive and offensive players in and out toward the end of games, when the clock is stopped during just about every possession, and we might try it with Andre.

I'm guessing that Coach Manning is playing 10 guys because he wants to develop folks for next year. If it was me, I would almost eliminate Washington and Rountree from the rotation. Play Wilbekin, Miller-McIntyre and Jones in the backcourt (30/30/20), Hudson and McClinton at the 3 (25/15) and Thomas/Mitoglou/Leonard in the post (30/30/20). Play McClinton at the 4 if you need to steal 5 minutes here and there without Thomas or Mitoglou out there.

I really think that could be the difference in us letting teams back in the game and actually being able to hold a lead.

100% agree with all of this...

Back