• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preach It Rev. Santorum!

I don't think many Christians would disagree with his statements. Assuming you believe in God and Satan of course.

"Satan is attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition."

Would you disagree that our society is becoming increasingly vain, prideful, and sensual? Seems pretty common sense to me.

"This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age?"

This makes it seem like the US is the only place being attacked by evil which is a ridiculous notion, but the US is still under spiritual attack (if you believe in that sort of stuff)

"We look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

Christianity in general is crumbling in the US. It is starting to follow the European model in which churches are social clubs. Once they become a social club the foundation shatters and pretty soon you have tourist attractions instead of churches.

Colbert 'reported' on this story last night, and I guess I didn't see the big deal. Santorum is a Christian. Are we that surprised that he believes in the devil, and that he believes that the devils is active in the US? Now Santorum does make it sound like the US is the only place where the devil is attacking, and that the rest of the world is living on easy street which I would happen to disagree with, but other than using the quirky term 'Father of Lies', I am not sure why this story is such a big deal.

I think he said all of this in 2008 too right?

Guy is an unabashed believer, period. He's not afraid to call things as he sees them. I disagree with his personal beliefs regarding women but a lot of what he says is common sense. Wish he could get back to talking about what made America great, manufacturing jobs and how he wants to bring back our economy.

A Bush took us into two recessions over the past twenty years. A Bush was in charge when tens of millions of people lost trillions of dollars in equity in their homes. A Bush took into a war that over 60% of Americans now say was a mistake.

Jeb has no chance to win.

Jeb is actually a really good candidate. But his last name is a killer. I doubt he could beat Obama, and if he doesn't think he can beat Obama then I see no reason why he would run. Better to wait until 2016 when his brother will be 4 more years removed from office and try to make his stand.

The term "common sense" is being thrown around with respect to santorum's comments. When you start talking about Satan, spiritual warfare, sins, etc., common sense is the last term that should be used.

If Unemployment starts ticking up again and gas is at 5 bucks a gallon all summer, I could beat Obama.

That being said, I'd rather have 4 more years of Obama and a recovering economy than a Republican POTUS and a shitty economy.

The term "common sense" is being thrown around with respect to santorum's comments. When you start talking about Satan, spiritual warfare, sins, etc., common sense is the last term that should be used.

He makes sense when he's talking about the economy and jobs. His personal religious beliefs are his, we really can't comment on people's personal beliefs. We can say we disagree with them but its hard to make anyone's personal belief into "common sense."

I don't think "Satan as an active player in our national problems" talk is going to garner too many votes from moderates.

Jeb could never win in 2012. There's no way America reelects a Bush after only one term.

What's the over/under before Santorum's lunacies catch up to him?

I'm putting it at 10.5 days.

What's the over/under before Santorum's lunacies catch up to him?

I'm putting it at 10.5 days.

I think they've already caught up with him.

So the under

The people in the street haven't heard yet. I'm not sure Romney's hit squad can take Santorum out before the MI primary (but Romney will win). However, I think they will destroy him before Super Tuesday.

The wild card in this is if Santorum gets hit a few times by Romney will he lose it and immediately self-destruct.

I don't think "Satan as an active player in our national problems" talk is going to garner too many votes from moderates.

Not only that, it's a dangerous line of thought. He is blaming an indefinable, non-quantifiable, mythical entity for the problems of a definable, quantifiable, and actual nation. To blame the nations problems on such a thing as the person running to be the most powerful single person in that nation should scare the shit out of pretty much everyone, including Wrangor and other Christians. I mean, what are the solutions to our problems then? Pray a lot? No matter how pious a person or nation is, according to his religion we are all sinners and the devil exists anyway.

If Jeb really wanted back in the game, he'd have challenged Nelson for the Senate seat which would have required far less effort. He of all people knows his name's too toxic outside of Florida.

Back