• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Predominantly white church won't marry black couple

kennylogginsfan

Reaction score
This is the 21st century isn't it?

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120728/NEWS/207280337/Miss-church-closes-door-black-couple-s-wedding?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

A Jackson couple had their wedding rehearsal last week, two days before their scheduled big day at the Crystal Springs church where they were planning to get married.
But the couple's dream of exchanging vows in the church they had been attending was dashed when the church pastor relayed to them that some members had complained about the black couple getting married in the predominantly white First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs.

They should lose their tax exempt status.

On what grounds?

Obviously I don't agree with this at all, but it seems like any government action would violate separation of church and state and freedom of religion. Not a lawyer though so maybe I just don't understand the application of those ideas.

Sounds to me like most church members were against this decision.

Didn't know religion was a democracy...thought God made those decisions...

On what grounds?

Obviously I don't agree with this at all, but it seems like any government action would violate separation of church and state and freedom of religion. Not a lawyer though so maybe I just don't understand the application of those ideas.

The couple should absolutely go after the church in civil court though. Seems like they'd have a case.

It is amazing that people still think like this.

On what grounds?

But if they are members being denied the "benefits" of membership shouldn't something be done? I'm really fascinated by this case. I would also imagine precedent here defining what gay marriage will look like in the future, assuming it goes to court of course.

The link isn't working for me on my phone. Got a better one?

But if they are members being denied the "benefits" of membership shouldn't something be done? I'm really fascinated by this case. I would also imagine precedent here defining what gay marriage will look like in the future, assuming it goes to court of course.

Contrary to popular belief homosexuals can get married now in North Carolina. The state just doesn't recognize it as marriage. A church can.

Contrary to popular belief homosexuals can get married now in North Carolina. The state just doesn't recognize it as marriage. A church can.

But churches can discriminate based on the illegality of the union. If same-sex marriage is legal, the water muddies, does it not. The ultimate question for future generations, is how much discriminatory power does the First Amendment grant? I tend to think at least some. Ultimately, freedom of religion will, and should IMO, protect freedom to hate as ironic and sad as that seems.

But churches can discriminate based on the illegality of the union. If same-sex marriage is legal, the water muddies, does it not. The ultimate question for future generations, is how much discriminatory power does the First Amendment grant? I tend to think at least some. Ultimately, freedom of religion will, and should IMO, protect freedom to hate as ironic and sad as that seems.

I think the word hate is thrown around too much in this type of debate but I agree churches can do pretty much what they want. Heck they can even require snake handling if they want.

I think the word hate is thrown around too much in this type of debate but I agree churches can do pretty much what they want. Heck they can even require snake handling if they want.

Not sure about that. They can't do harm, and handling venomous snakes probably does harm. I was using the term hate to comment on the far end of the rights churches possess. Discriminate is a more appropriate term for these general issues, but hate is still under the same umbrella.

Back