• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Practice Reports

http://youtu.be/5hWgVJmicDg
Just amazing about Clawson, the way he compliments the players, his positivity and enthusiasm of the first practice, and the details of practice. I am not sure Grobe ever gave that many details about a single practice. My guess he was too busy chatting at the wall to notice what was happening in practice.

A thanks to everyone for finding the info on the first practice. If the coach is happy with it, then I'm happy with it. We can sneak up on everybody this year. We'll probably be favored against Army, ULM and G-W, and that's about it.

Thanks for reports. Anyone know if they practice on Saturday and what time practice is on Sat. and Sun.?

I believe practice tomorrow is at 6:50 and practice on Sunday is at noon?

Cumberland knows better than I do but I do know BSD will have coverage of both practices.

I get the feeling that Cameron is going to be the starter against ULM. Still pure speculation though.

Someone ask coach his thoughts on Williams' #1 Forbes ranking. I wonder if he feels he was sold a bill of goods here. :thumbsup:

You have to be impressed with Clawson's purposefulness. He certainly gives the impression that he knows exactly where he wants the team to be and that he has a definite plan for getting there. Leadership 101.

Heading back from practice now. We will have a report up shortly. Looked pretty good out there. Split practice so the guys were in and out. Got some good looks at all the quarterbacks.

From what I always heard, the Summer School deal was a budget Ron Wellman thing not a Jim Grobe thing. He was unwilling to pay for both sessions of Summer School across all sports including football unless a player had to have it to be eligible. So there were always just a handful of players in first session summer school and the whole team went to the 2nd session. Sure that Clawson made that one of his demands as just about every school in the country has had this for a while. Do echo that the new strength guy seems to be good. However, every new coach generally says this. Can remember Caldwell and Grobe saying the same things entering year one about strength. Remember the App St puke debacle Caldwell's last year?

From what I always heard, the Summer School deal was a budget Ron Wellman thing not a Jim Grobe thing. He was unwilling to pay for both sessions of Summer School across all sports including football unless a player had to have it to be eligible.

That's reprehensible.

Wow. How can a school say they are giving a student-athlete a full scholarship yet not pay for summer school?

Wow. How can a school say they are giving a student-athlete a full scholarship yet not pay for summer school?

I don't know the answer to this, but do "full academic scholarships" pay for summer school?

From what I always heard, the Summer School deal was a budget Ron Wellman thing not a Jim Grobe thing. He was unwilling to pay for both sessions of Summer School across all sports including football unless a player had to have it to be eligible. So there were always just a handful of players in first session summer school and the whole team went to the 2nd session.

If true, absolutely none of this surprises me. None.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to this, but do "full academic scholarships" pay for summer school?

No. It is paid for by the Athletic Dept. budget. That's why Grobe had to go to Wellman to pay for it. I'm sure Clawson had this all taken care of last December.

Perhaps we now know some of what went into that 14 hour conversation prior to his hiring?

From what I always heard, the Summer School deal was a budget Ron Wellman thing not a Jim Grobe thing. He was unwilling to pay for both sessions of Summer School across all sports including football unless a player had to have it to be eligible.

That's reprehensible.

NCAA passed a rule this year that allowed coaches to work with players during the summer. In the past players could work out on their own with only instruction sheets from strength and conditioning coach.

We all think that the school should pay for the football team to attend both sessions of summer school, but let's not act like it doesn't cost a lot of money to do so.

I think it is well worth the ROI, but I am sure it was the administration telling Grobe, "you won without both sessions of summer school, so why do we need to do it now?"

I disagree with that assessment, but it probably took Clawson (a new voice) to say, "hey, I really need this if we are going to be competitive.

Another example of Wake athletics battling the administration hampering it's ability to play on a competitive playing field. Hard to win when we are hurt internally before the season even started.

Back