• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Practice Reports

Grobes practices towards the end of his career were nothing to brag about. Slow reps, wasted motion, lack of coaching.

Things were a little better last year as far as upbeat practices, but there was A LOT of room for improvement moving to Clawson.

Have Sousa throw it down field on a end-around just once, to open things up. Make our opponents think about it. Have him line up in the backfield for a pitch and a toss. Make our opponents think about it. Anquan Boldin came to F$U as a QB, and now he's a millionaire. This could be something special.
Hooray gimmicks!! So now he's Anquan Boldin? Alright.

Grobes practices towards the end of his career were nothing to brag about. Slow reps, wasted motion, lack of coaching.

Things were a little better last year as far as upbeat practices, but there was A LOT of room for improvement moving to Clawson.

We were at Michie Stadium for the Army game. To add to the above, our pre-game warm-ups were embarrassing. Assistants walking around talking to each other in pairs, players seemingly standing or walking around leisurely, Grobe off chatting with the officials....those doing most of the running around were the student managers ! During the game the only coach who exibited any animation/enthusiasm was Himee. Grobe ? As always, he was far from the line of scrimmage off by himself, headphones on and arms folded occasionally squating picking at grass that was FieldTurf.

Now, THAT'S a change I'm looking/waiting for under Clawson and staff !

Really think Cameron was thrown to the wolves inexperienced last year and that messed with his head. I don't think the staff did him any favors by throwing him out there against FSU not giving him or many young qb's reps against weaker competition. That is something that I hope this new staff does differently.

Pretty amazing the way some appeared to want to dismiss Cameron based upon a stint against the #1 team in the country, and his first Spring practice with a new staff. Cameron was highly regarded out of HS, and has some tools (size, speed, arm strength). He is still just a RS sophomore.

On Cameron: Was told by a parent of a very good wide receiver that Cameron was a good runner but that he was an inaccurate passer. Maybe his passing accuracy has improved over the summer.

On Sousa: Was told by that same parent that Sousa probably would probably transfer a lower division school. On Sousa's move last year to wide receiver, I was told that he was just too far behind the other receivers to compete with them, which is probably why he did not play in games at that position. Who knows what will happen on a position move with this new coaching staff.

Pretty amazing the way some appeared to want to dismiss Cameron based upon a stint against the #1 team in the country, and his first Spring practice with a new staff. Cameron was highly regarded out of HS, and has some tools (size, speed, arm strength). He is still just a RS sophomore.

Clawson's own comments about Cameron have led people to dismiss him. Clawson has shown little confidence in him in interviews and seems eager for one of the true freshmen to start. Oh yes, and practice reports have Wolford taking the most reps.

A Spring practice where he was outperformed in both running and passing by Kevin Sousa who was also in front of a new staff and had little to no game exposure.

From the practice reports I have seen, Wolford and Cameron have split the 1st team reps, with each having some good and bad days; I don't think anyone knows who has the edge between those two. Dangerous to draw conclusions (either significantly positive or negative) based upon the Spring game, and excerpts from off-season comments. Just think its too early to write-off a RS soph with some game.

Agree with Pilch. It has been fairly split. Wolford has gotten mostly first team reps to start drills, but Cameron is getting a lot too.

No reason to write off Cameron. He also has a good bit of speed that could be vital in terms of us moving the pocket if we have line troubles. He can make a lot of things happen with his feet.

So we made it into the Acc preview on grantland!

Early Must-Watch Game, Nonconference Category

Some lovely high-profile SOS-padding contests lurk in August and September — Clemson-Georgia and Florida State–Oklahoma State in Week 1, Virginia Tech at Ohio State in Week 2, Miami at Nebraska in Week 4, Virginia Tech and UNC against East Carolina in consecutive weeks9 — but lordy, that opening Thursday’s looking particularly appetizing this season. The ACC’s finest offering? Sending Wake Forest to Louisiana-Monroe. DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT DIAL: They’re doing a camo-out. There’s a blooper reel for the ad campaign for the camo-out:10

Today's situation involved a two-minute drill at the end of the first half.

Based on the last decade, I can only assume that one situation involves us leading going into the half, trying to run clock but only burning :29 and then giving up a score just before time expires.

Based on the last decade, I can only assume that one situation involves us leading going into the half, trying to run clock but only burning :29 and then giving up a score just before time expires.

Not giving up scores regularly right before halftime is e thing from the Grobe Era I will not miss. It killed our spirits and you didn't have the confidence he would know how to lift them back up, much less make the necessary adjustments.

And that was compounded by the fact Grobe would just take a knee in similar situations.

Back