• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presser Preview

Thanks for posting that. We surely aren't going to finish DFL when it comes to the press conference.

Thank goodness Rulz is no longer a member of the Wake Forest community.

Here's another one following the Maryland ejection:

A question: WTF is the deal with Tulsa's nickname? Hurricanes (golden, no less) in Oklahoma?

I'm hoping Wellman keeps his own comments brief when he introduces coach Manning. Nothing good can come from Wellman talking too much.

I'm hoping Wellman keeps his own comments brief when he introduces coach Manning. Nothing good can come from Wellman talking too much.

Why should Wellman even be there? He hasn't been on campus in a month.

A question: WTF is the deal with Tulsa's nickname? Hurricanes (golden, no less) in Oklahoma?

A Hurricane In Tulsa?
The origination of The University of Tulsa nickname - Golden Hurricane - came in 1922. A new football coach, Howard Acher, came to town and inherited a slew of nicknames dating back to 1895.

Past Tulsa teams were referred to as Kendallites, Presbyterians, Tigers, Orange and Black, and Tulsans. In the fall of 1922, the team nickname was "Yellow Jackets," which was apparently due to the fact that the team was wearing new black and yellow uniforms instead of the traditional orange and black.

The team opened the season and it was apparent that Tulsa was going to have a great year, and trying to seize some publicity for his team, Acher wanted to find a new nickname quickly.

After a remark was made in practice one day about "roaring through opponents," and because of their new jersey colors, he thought of Golden Tornadoes. However, he quickly found out that the name had been taken by Georgia Tech a few years earlier. From the tornado, he evolved meteorologically to the hurricane. A few days before the team left for a game against Texas A&M, Acher asked the squad to vote on the name, and thus "Golden Hurricane" was born.

After seeing the excitement of the Tulsa folks, now I feel kinda bad about poaching their coach.

"Hopefully this will be our last move." Sigh. Tough biz for the family.

After seeing the excitement of the Tulsa folks, now I feel kinda bad about poaching their coach.

"Hopefully this will be our last move." Sigh. Tough biz for the family.

I wish coaches wouldn't say things like that. I know a lot of people didn't like when Grobe would say things like only the Lord knows or never really committed to saying he wouldn't leave (back when we wouldn't have wanted him to leave), but I actually appreciated that honesty.

Thoughtful and understated, which I'm sure the parents will appreciate, was my impression of Danny Manning from the Tulsa newsconference. If that transklates as introverted, I don't know why. Not rah, rah but hardly introverted. Oh yeah, DM also seems to have little trouble expressing himself, which is a huge relief after you-know-who.

that Maryland postgame impressed me a lot more than the Tulsa presser

DM is awesome. So psyched to start a new era.

Thoughtful and understated, which I'm sure the parents will appreciate, was my impression of Danny Manning from the Tulsa newsconference. If that transklates as introverted, I don't know why. Not rah, rah but hardly introverted. Oh yeah, DM also seems to have little trouble expressing himself, which is a huge relief after you-know-who.

+1

Actually it's "Hurricane"....never have understood the singular use when there's more than one....like the Stanford Cardinal.

Actually it's "Hurricane"....never have understood the singular use when there's more than one....like the Stanford Cardinal.

The Stanford explanation is that it's the color, not the bird. Not sure about Tulsa.

Maybe manning gets his suits from the goof in the first video.

Back