• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICIAL 2016/17 Premier League

I love making fun of the luck thing as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure Chelsea usually have had a pretty amazing injury record over the years so I think they just have a dope med department. Also feel like Tottenham guys have recovered quicker (Lamela apart) this year -- thinking mainly Vertonghen and Kane -- but maybe I'm wrong on that. I don't think that's all luck.

Think Conte messed up more by changing multiple positions due to one injury -- give Ake a start or, like, Willian at that left wingback -- keep everything else the same. Courtois to Begovic is a big drop off as well, but United were really good setting out how they needed to.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said "lucky" - Chelsea have for years been one of the healthiest teams in the division and it makes a lot of difference. They actually don't have a very deep squad and have struggled the few times they were missing players - but keeping that starting XI healthy has been huge for them.

Spurs have been unable to stay healthy - maybe it's training and treatment methods, maybe it's individuals being injury prone (looking at you Danny Rose) and maybe it's some bad luck (the Alderweireld one was flukey as shit) but it will likely cost Spurs the league title. Spurs have played at a 92 point pace with Alderweireld in the squad and even higher with Alderweireld + Kane.

btw - Spurs aren't catching Chelsea. Look at their fixture list, it's not happening. I bet they win the league by 5-7 points in the end.

I'm not sure what purpose Ramsey has served this season other than being from Wales.

That was pretty nice.

And he's wearing yellow tonight.

gallery-1479308651-giphy-13.gif

Last edited:
Arsenal have shown why they're not finishing top four this year.

Middlesborough have shown again and again in this game why they'll be relegated.

I'm not Vertonghen's biggest fan - I think he's a good, but not great player who has some pretty specific weaknesses ... but the man can really pass the football for a center back. The ability of all 3 Spurs center backs to move the ball and use it when left as a free man in possession has been a huge part of the big goal scoring numbers.

If vad was manager of Spurs and I was manager of MUFC, I would offer him Rojo for Vertongen straight up. And I'd snicker when he accepted.

If vad was manager of Spurs and I was manager of MUFC, I would offer him Rojo for Vertongen straight up. And I'd snicker when he accepted.

They play different roles - Rojo is definitely the athletic enforcer type and Vertonghen is the more cultured ball playing type - so it'd be hard to swap them for each other, but I do rate Rojo quite highly and think as he's matured (he's still quite young for a center half) that he's turned into a damn good player back there.

I also have to watch Vertonghen's flaws on a weekly basis so I'm likely more frustrated by what he does wrong than I should be. He's surprisingly awkward for someone who moves the ball the way he does, and he gets done far too easily by tricky / quick attackers - guys like Aguero or Mane just eat him alive and one of the huge benefits of going to 3 at the back for Spurs is that Vertonghen much more rarely gets isolated against players like that. It's also one reason Spurs have struggled so badly with Liverpool in the Klopp era, Vertonghen has nobody to really mark and ends up getting his feet tied up trying to step and chase Firmino/Coutinho/Mane, etc.

That being said, he's magnificent as a LCB in a back 3. He has cover against pacey attackers defensively and in possession teams have to choose to make either him or Dier the free man at the back and both pass the ball like midfielders. He's a good player in a back 4 if he has a very mobile partner, but he's a great player in a back 3.

but would he trade toby?

I'd be tempted to trade Kane before Toby, though that'd be like choosing which child to sacrifice. The Vertonghen led defense of 2014-2015 shipped 53 goals. Alderweireld showed up and it immediately dropped to 35 and will be even lower this season. Alderweireld is the best center defender in the PL by a chasm the size of the grand canyon - he is so mobile, reads the game so well and keeps the rest of the defense so organized that any match he misses the entire structure looks wobbly. He's the glue that holds that entire group together, and without him Spurs are at best an average defensive team (see: Champions League where Alderweireld started only 2 of 6 matches and Spurs leaked stupid goals all over the place).

Nobody thought a defense made up of Vertonghen, Walker and Rose would be anything other than questionable defensively (and questionable is a kind way to describe how that group hemorrhaged goals over a several year period). All of them are attacking minding players for their positions. Add Toby! and you suddenly have a fucking fortress. He has the same effect for Spurs that Vincent Kompany has for Manchester City, transforming the team just by being on the pitch.

That's also why the fact that Toby! is the only Spurs player to not sign an extension recently scares me. He's irreplaceable for Spurs.

Also dv7 forgets that Rojo is an ex-Spartak player ^^

Honestly, it takes some time for defenders to mature and he's just now entering his prime, he's finally playing his best position and he's finally with a manager who is organizing that defense properly. I think he's going to be a damn good player for the next 5 years - dirty and physical and prone to a monster brain fart here and there, but still very valuable (Pepe is kind of the best version of that type of defender).

'Arry is back! Wheeling and dealing time for Brum.

O/U 12 hours until he's filmed leaning out of a car window talking about players under contract for other teams.

One thing Spurs new stadium seems to be getting extremely right is the new single stand on the south end. Here's an overlay of the stand with the Gelbe Wand at Dortmund - you can see it's going to be basically exactly the same steepness and height. Obviously no standing like at Dortmund (for now) ... but man, that's going to be so fucking awesome.

4Fm50n9.jpg

1821614_web.jpg

Back