• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Ah… I mean, that’s a thin premise. Murder is illegal in every society. Whether you agree with it or not, you still have to acknowledge that there are many people who believe a fetus is a person, and the mother carrying that fetus is duty bound to protect it. Even the most liberal of us still seek to socially regulate pregnancy so that pregnant mothers don’t drink/smoke/do drugs, to protect the fetus from birth defects, and in that way we are protecting the future personhood of something that we don’t yet recognize as a person.
That is one of the most logical comments I've read

Do they really truly believe a fetus is alive though? Look at the reaction between scenarios.

Scenario 1- You have people killing babies, 3 months olds, 6 month olds. Just freely murdering post birthed babies. Hundreds a day. What would the reaction be? Actually tangible action, you would immediately try to stop it no matter what others said.

Scenario 2- You believe a fetus is a baby, it’s being “murdered” what do you do? Write op-eds and work to stack a court to get a ruling that allows certain states to ban this murder while it freely takes place elsewhere. You continue to write strongly worded letters and live your life.

The only ones that truly believe abortion is murder are the ones that get arrested trying to stop it, the fire bombers of clinics, those are true believers the rest are just meh and used as a political and religious prop.
You're attempt to sound intelligent is masked by your ignorance

So 73deac either not a true believer or is standing around while mass genocide is being conducted. Solid position.

Chances this guy has a sex scandal in his history?
Don't know if he has a scandal currently brewing, but having known many, many Evangelicals over the years I'd be willing to bet that he engaged in premarital sex in his teen and college years at least. And that when he got married and moved into his thirties and suburban/rural church-going respectable middle-class lifestyle he conveniently forgot all about his younger sowing his wild oats days.

Don't know if he has a scandal currently brewing, but having known many, many Evangelicals over the years I'd be willing to bet that he engaged in premarital sex in his teen and college years at least. And that when he got married and moved into his thirties and suburban/rural church-going respectable middle-class lifestyle he conveniently forgot all about his younger sowing his wild oats days.
Or feels really bad about it and wants to prevents the youths from making the same "mistakes" he did.

Or just says he feels really bad about it and doesn't really mean it. I've always suspected with most of these types (men and women) that is the case.
Yes. That was what I was implying. I've heard a few testimonies from pastors about how God rescued them from all that tail they were getting when they were single.

Yes. That was what I was implying. I've heard a few testimonies from pastors about how God rescued them from all that tail they were getting when they were single.
You guys are giving this dude a lot of credit. He doesn't look to me like he is, or ever was, smooth with the ladies.

I do believe there are quite a few who mean it earnestly. Usually they are not doing so loudly and publically, however
In my experience those are the ones who have genuinely convinced themselves that in the good old days when they were younger people their age were pure and holy and never dreamed of doing the deed (or anything naughty) before marriage. You can identify these people because they talk about it all the time, and they always compare it to our current moral sewer in which young people are sinful and wild - and they never were, of course.

You guys are giving this dude a lot of credit. He doesn't look to me like he is, or ever was, smooth with the ladies.
I doubt he was ever a ladies man, but he probably he wasn't all that pure when he was younger either. If they didn't sow their wild oats when they were younger, they usually make up for it when they get older and married and are discovered running around with the church secretary or lawn maintenance guy or whatever.

In my experience those are the ones who have genuinely convinced themselves that in the good old days when they were younger people their age were pure and holy and never dreamed of doing the deed (or anything naughty) before marriage. You can identify these people because they talk about it all the time, and they always compare it to our current moral sewer in which young people are sinful and wild - and they never were, of course.
possibly. I've tried to really avoid bucketizing or generalizing folks. I realize it's a political thread and voting blocks get names and all, but I think there are a ton of Christians who may regret pre-marital sex and just talk about it with their kids or their spouses or close friends. Like I said, I question most people who use some sort of public forum to berate and beat down others with their opinions. the ones that are super loud an super public are fully questionable in my mind

possibly. I've tried to really avoid bucketizing or generalizing folks. I realize it's a political thread and voting blocks get names and all, but I think there are a ton of Christians who may regret pre-marital sex and just talk about it with their kids or their spouses or close friends. Like I said, I question most people who use some sort of public forum to berate and beat down others with their opinions. the ones that are super loud an super public are fully questionable in my mind
Based on a lifetime of personal experience dealing with conservative Christians, and talking to many others who have had the same experiences, I don't think I'm generalizing when I say that very, very few conservative Christians are virgins when they get married, and I think relatively few of these people really regret their experiences when they were younger, whatever they may say to family or friends or their church. No doubt a certain percentage may be sincere, but I've become more and more convinced as I've gotten older that the number is quite small. And even if they do sincerely regret it, to support passing laws effectively punishing other people for doing the same in the privacy of their personal lives (abortion restrictions, contraceptive restrictions, abstinence-only sex ed, restricting discussion of LGBTQ people in schools, etc.) is still wrong, imo.

Based on a lifetime of personal experience dealing with conservative Christians, and talking to many others who have had the same experiences, I don't think I'm generalizing when I say that very, very few conservative Christians are virgins when they get married, and I think relatively few of these people really regret their experiences when they were younger, whatever they may say to family or friends or their church. No doubt a certain percentage may be sincere, but I've become more and more convinced as I've gotten older that the number is quite small. And even if they do sincerely regret it, to support passing laws effectively punishing other people for doing the same in the privacy of their personal lives (abortion restrictions, contraceptive restrictions, abstinence-only sex ed, restricting discussion of LGBTQ people in schools, etc.) is still wrong, imo.
fully agree with that

Back