• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Public d2 schools in NC with football programs

WFU21

Reaction score
A young man I'm mentoring is 6'2 195lb defensive end and offensive line. He wants to play college ball and I told him I would help him find some public d2 schools with football programs. Any help would be appreciated

Across town from Wake is undefeated Winston Salem State. The also play in our original stadium, Bowman Gray.
They are an HBCU school and I don't know the race of the young man you are mentoring, so that might factor into his decision. They do have a few white players and coaches on the team and a decent number of non-minorites in the general student body, so I think regardless it's a place he would feel comfortable at. I know a couple of players on the team (played in high school with my son) and we've been to a handful of games over there. A good program that looks to be a national contender this year and beyond.

Catawba is awful. Or was 10 years ago.

Football or academics? Football, except for this season, they have been conference champs for several years. Academics, depending on the department you can actually get a really good education.

I dare you to tell some of the leaders within North Carolina that Catawba is awful. You just might be surprised as to their alumni base. There are also a few Wake professors that are adjuncts with Catawba.

Last edited:
Another private, but Campbell has a relatively new football program. They're one of the cheaper privates in NC.

Football or academics? Football, except for this season, they have been conference champs for several years. Academics, depending on the department you can actually get a really good education.

I dare you to tell some of the leaders within North Carolina that Catawba is awful. You just might be surprised as to their alumni base. There are also a few Wake professors that are adjuncts with Catawba.

I meant academically. My sister went there for a year and 30% of her class transferred (including her) and 4 students were shot on campus. That school was in a world of hurt then and still was until a couple of years ago (don't know if they improved or not). I know plenty of leaders in NC and there are a few of them that went to Catawba (pat mccrory comes to mind). The school, however, went to hell in a hand basket and unless things have changed my opinion stands.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/94/best-colleges-10_Catawba-College_950115_2.html

Looks to me like their retention rate is still only 70% and their graduation rate is 26%.

Last edited:
I meant academically. My sister went there for a year and 30% of her class transferred (including her) and 4 students were shot on campus. That school was in a world of hurt then and still was until a couple of years ago (don't know if they improved or not). I know plenty of leaders in NC and there are a few of them that went to Catawba (pat mccrory comes to mind). The school, however, went to hell in a hand basket and unless things have changed my opinion stands.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/94/best-colleges-10_Catawba-College_950115_2.html

Looks to me like their retention rate is still only 70% and their graduation rate is 26%.

I know exactly when you are talking about. First off, those 4 students, were not just Catawba students and the students responsible were not Catawba students. Those issues have been cleaned up. I could go into a lot of detail, but they have had a complete administration change and reorganization in large part due to the shooting and the fire that occurred the same year. They also closed some dorms and built new ones in order to improve safety and get rid of some of the "living" complaints.

Their retention rate turnover occurs in sports and then the night program. There are athletes that are accepted that shouldn't be, but more often the issue comes in the coaching, not academics and the turnover isn't football but some of the smaller sports. The other thing that happens a lot is that many of the immediate area students will go to Catawba for a few years and then transfer. It used as a 2 year college in some aspects for them. It is not that they are unhappy with the school, but instead that they want to leave town. I can tell you more, but not via this.

And I wasn't just talking political leaders, I was talking more so about business leaders.

It may not be a Wake Forest education, but it is not a bad education. It is a good solid education.

Last edited:
NC A&T State University in Greensboro is another HBCU with a football program. Unlike WSSU their program is awful but they have a new coach who seems to have them headed in a better direction (jury very much still out, though).

Also in Greensboro, both Greensboro College and Guilford College are small private schools with D2 or D3 football programs. Guilford College is probably the better school (Quaker affiliated) but Greensboro College (Presbyterian I think?) has some decent programs. Neither one is much of a football powerhouse.

Of course there is Appalachian State which is FCS, not D2, but if he is good enough that's a great football program and some very solid degree programs.

I think Lenoir Rhyne up near Boone also has a football program. That is a very small, relatively inexpensive private school. Don't know much about them.

NC A&T State University in Greensboro is another HBCU with a football program. Unlike WSSU their program is awful but they have a new coach who seems to have them headed in a better direction (jury very much still out, though).

Also in Greensboro, both Greensboro College and Guilford College are small private schools with D2 or D3 football programs. Guilford College is probably the better school (Quaker affiliated) but Greensboro College (Presbyterian I think?) has some decent programs. Neither one is much of a football powerhouse.

Of course there is Appalachian State which is FCS, not D2, but if he is good enough that's a great football program and some very solid degree programs.

I think Lenoir Rhyne up near Boone also has a football program. That is a very small, relatively inexpensive private school. Don't know much about them.

Haha I have to laugh at saying Lenoir Rhyne up near Boone. Lenoir-Rhyne is in Hickory and about an hour from Boone. It is about like saying UNC-G is in Raleigh.

ETA: They do have football, but I know nothing about it other than their current record is 7-3 overall and 6-1 in conference.

Last edited:
My bad, I was actually thinking of Lees-McRae, which really is near Boone. However, I checked and it looks like they don't have a football program anymore. My uncle played there for about 5 minutes back in the 70s so it came to mind (albeit defectively).

Back