• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Public Schools: Success Stories and Reform

And then it hit me, full force. The most innovative country on the planet is blowing it. As we move full swing into an era of innovation, the United States should be educating to our creative strengths, but instead we’re eroding the very characteristics that will enable our kids to thrive. We’re setting kids up for a life without passion, purpose, or meaningful employment. Absent profound change, our country is a decade away from having 50 million chronically-unemployed young adults, adrift in life and awash in debt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-the-purpose-of-school-heres-what-he-found/

WFFaithful posted one earlier:

We need to figure out how to clone this woman. (And until that can happen, take some serious notes and figure out where we can apply her methods elsewhere.)

Each morning at 7 and each afternoon at 3, Anderson picks up a stop sign and serves as a crossing guard, ushering children across one of the district’s busiest intersections. On chilly mornings, she brings a thermos of hot chocolate, doling out the steaming treat in tiny paper cups and using the moment to check in with children.

“How do you know the needs of the community if you’re not in the community?” she said.

Anderson also is determined to help Gwen get a job.

She stopped by the local McDonald’s one recent morning to check on the owner’s promise to hire one student. Anderson left with a commitment to hire two, including Gwen.

A lot of angst going on here in Charlotte- the board of education is undertaking a student assignment plan and lots of fear about a return to forced busing...

I sub sometimes in Robeson County. Which most of the schools are title 1, but the teachers do not care about the kids and constantly complain about the kids and how they don't have a future. Which i find,very sad because alot of communities in the area our very poor and their parents don't push the kids. Then today I found out a C is a 60

I sub sometimes in Robeson County. Which most of the schools are title 1, but the teachers do not care about the kids and constantly complain about the kids and how they don't have a future. Which i find,very sad because alot of communities in the area our very poor and their parents don't push the kids. Then today I found out a C is a 60

The Circle of Not Caring

Okay everyone got an update for you all on Robeson County Schools. SO i am still subbing at the same school but while I was talking to some of the teachers they told me that they have a 10 point grading scale. Which is 100-90 A 89-79 B 78-68 C and an D is a 60 I think and everything else is a F. Which I think is crazy but along with the county policy, that it doesn't matter if you do not do any work all year you get a 50 overall. I think this policy does a lot more harm than good. That was on Monday. Today the students were working on EOG practice which was only 6 question. SO the principle told me if you get a question wrong it was -5. So if you got all 6 wrong you get a 70, which would be a C. I am for a lost of words of how bad this county is and the harm it is doing.

Back