• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

Marucci also had by far the best blocking game from the line of any QB this year, so that makes a massive difference.

I don't want this to go down like I'm defending the staff or think Griffis is the answer - I don't know that there is a QB on this roster currently that can get us to anything above 6-6 this year. I just don't agree that because Marucci "won the game" for us last week that he has to be the starter this week, or is the best option.
You don't want it to seem like you "think Griffis is the answer" - but you don't agree that Marucci "has to be the starter this week, or is the best option." Huh?

Someone has to start. Who are you advocating for? Isn't that person the one you think is the "best option"?

If it's Griffis, I am just curious as to the rationale. I see none.

We have very little positive to go on from any of them. But we have a lot of negative to go on from one of them.

I don't think Griffis is the answer after this year unless we see something vastly different moving forward. I do think he is better than Marucci, and if Kern is hurt then I think Griffis should be starting for us tomorrow.

I will 100% say that this is based on my faith in the staff, and not a lot, if anything, that he's shown on the field this year. Even typing it out, I know it sounds hypocritical since Marucci has actually shown he can win a game when it's on the line, so I understand that. I think that he capitalized on his opportunity in a one game sample size, but wouldn't expect it to play out like that moving forward.

Marucci also had by far the best blocking game from the line of any QB this year, so that makes a massive difference.

I don't want this to go down like I'm defending the staff or think Griffis is the answer - I don't know that there is a QB on this roster currently that can get us to anything above 6-6 this year. I just don't agree that because Marucci "won the game" for us last week that he has to be the starter this week, or is the best option.
Pitt is also much worse than GT, VT, Clemson and FSU.

Mitch didn't win the ODU game either, but still got credit for it. In all likelihood Santino is not currently better than Mitch, but at this point Mitch is more of a known quantity, and we know we don't want to see more of him.

I don't think Griffis is the answer after this year unless we see something vastly different moving forward. I do think he is better than Marucci, and if Kern is hurt then I think Griffis should be starting for us tomorrow.

I will 100% say that this is based on my faith in the staff, and not a lot, if anything, that he's shown on the field this year. Even typing it out, I know it sounds hypocritical since Marucci has actually shown he can win a game when it's on the line, so I understand that. I think that he capitalized on his opportunity in a one game sample size, but wouldn't expect it to play out like that moving forward.

hasn't the staff been noncommittal on a starter? (after benching him in last game). not sure why you are assuming the staff is pro-griffis at this point.

I think there are likely former HS QBs at Wake getting hammered at fraternity parties on Saturdays that would be an upgrade over Griffis in an actual game. Maybe he should get hammered before each game!

This is only slight hyperbole.

Clawson has been expressly non-committal, saying "I'm not going to tip my hand" about who the starting QB is. FWIW, think that Santino starts, that both QBs play and the game is not close. Hope to be wrong, about the last part.

Griffis is a walking turnover, and WF's first game plan priority for Pitt was no TOs, and Marucci still threw two picks in 21 attempts. Hard to see a game script where WF does not lose the TO battle, and if that happens, can see the game unraveling.

Wake Forest fans must be the worst for wanting to hang on coaches’ jocks long after the big picture becomes clear. Sometimes fans and outside observers can see trends that coaches doing the day to day nuts and bolt become blind to. It’s ok to recognize this. Dave Clawson knows more about coaching college football than every person on this board, but it’s ok to acknowledge he is also wrong a lot and his opinion on a player is not the end all be all. Grobe was held four years too long, Bzzz for three years too long, Danny for four years too long, etc. What the fuck is is about Wake Forest fans that makes us believe our coaches always have the answer?

Wake Forest fans must be the worst for wanting to hang on coaches’ jocks long after the big picture becomes clear. Sometimes fans and outside observers can see trends that coaches doing the day to day nuts and bolt become blind to. It’s ok to recognize this. Dave Clawson knows more about coaching college football than every person on this board, but it’s ok to acknowledge he is also wrong a lot and his opinion on a player is not the end all be all. Grobe was held four years too long, Bzzz for three years too long, Danny for four years too long, etc. What the fuck is is about Wake Forest fans that makes us believe our coaches always have the answer?
Not exactly how I would have phrased it, but I'm definitely on this page. I often wonder if the full on "trust the coaches" portion of the fanbase just does whatever the hell their bosses tell them without ever questioning. Or maybe they are the bosses!

As much as Grobe mailed it in his last two seasons (he did take WF to the Music City Bowl in his third to last season); don't think its reasonable to lump Grobe in with Bz or Danny. With maybe a few lunatic fringe exceptions, no one wanted to hang on to Bz or Danny. It was Christmas here when both were terminated (Currie dumped Manning in the middle of COVID, and Manning was the only Power Conference school fired during that period, and there was universal jubilation when the happy news came down).

Remember when Wellman extended Danny after WF's run into the NCAA play-in round, the consensus here was "why would WF bid against itself and extend DM when no one else was interested in him?" and WF fans funded a promotional campaign, including billboards to dump Bz; there was very little support for Bz at any time for good reason.

Also, seems like a parallel is trying to be drawn between DM, Bz and Clawson, which is ridiculous. WF is currently 4-3, and was ranked in the top 10 each of the previous two seasons. Should WF fans be pushing Clawson out the door?

Last edited:
Clawson is not being compared to Bz/Manning.

But Clawson is also not immune to blind spots. The difference is that Bz/Manning were each just one huge blind spot.

Clawson has 2 bad choices, and honestly, the choice probably doesn't really matter. To avoid the risk of losing the team/fanbase, it seems like an absolute no brainer to trot Mooch out there and see what he can do. If he's a train wreck, then there you go, start your boi again next week. If he's serviceable and doesn't lose the game, then keep playing him and maybe give Mitch a few series to see if he has that practice mojo magic. If Mooch does the unthinkable and leads an upset, then he's a legend and you're a genius.

Back