• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

I wouldn't say Buchner has been disaster for Alabama. He's just not any good and Jalen Milroe is the quarterback.

You can characterize Buchner's play as you choose.

Milroe struggled early in the season; Buchner was given the start against a USF team that is awful. After leading Bama to zero points (with Bama's talent against USF's talent) in six first half drives. Buchner was benched. His stats against USF: 5 for 14 for 31 yards and zero points in six drives - with Bama's players against USF's players.

After Buchner was benched, Bama's other backup QB, Tyler Simpson who sucks, but apparently sucks less than Buchner, Bama's offense managed to score 17 points against USF.

USF opponent point totals for 2023:

W. KY: 41
Florida A&M: 24
Tyler Buchner led Alabama: 0
Simpson led Alabama: 17
Rice: 29
Navy: 30
UAB: 56
FAU: 56
UCONN: 21

Looks like a disaster to me.

He'd definitely be a disaster if he were on the field. But he's not. Disaster averted.

Also, I think Saban knew what he was doing all along. He knew Milroe was his best option at starting quarterback, and that's why he started against Texas. He let Buchner and Simpson play against USF and got the win. Now Milroe's ballin'.

Thank you for mentioning this comment from the presser. It was a good question by Les, and it ties up a lot of loose ends regarding our roster and NIL that have been speculated about since the end of last season.

Clawson mentioned four players that he said we couldn't even have a conversation with that he would have wanted to bring back: Hartman, Bothroyd, Perry, and Whiteheart. And he rolled it off the tongue immediately.

To my knowledge, that has never been called out so clearly before.

And flies directly in the face of the "Hartman and staff were both ready to move on" narrative, which I know I've posted about previously made us look small time and seemed silly. Think this is the first time that Clawson admitted that we just weren't ready with NIL. We almost certainly would have thrown legit bids to these guys which is encouraging, and a few months later RTQ did with Carson/Jurgens/Gordon, whom he specifically mentioned that we were able to keep because of them.

He also in no way made it sound like Sam was definitely out on WF if we had a legit NIL offer, which is nice to hear considering so many posters were conviced that was a non-starter and tried to poo-poo the whole idea of even attempting to keep him. Also frustrating because if the timing had just been a bit earlier, he may be behind center right now.
Well damn....

Thank you for mentioning this comment from the presser. It was a good question by Les, and it ties up a lot of loose ends regarding our roster and NIL that have been speculated about since the end of last season.

Clawson mentioned four players that he said we couldn't even have a conversation with that he would have wanted to bring back: Hartman, Bothroyd, Perry, and Whiteheart. And he rolled it off the tongue immediately.

To my knowledge, that has never been called out so clearly before.

And flies directly in the face of the "Hartman and staff were both ready to move on" narrative, which I know I've posted about previously made us look small time and seemed silly. Think this is the first time that Clawson admitted that we just weren't ready with NIL. We almost certainly would have thrown legit bids to these guys which is encouraging, and a few months later RTQ did with Carson/Jurgens/Gordon, whom he specifically mentioned that we were able to keep because of them.

He also in no way made it sound like Sam was definitely out on WF if we had a legit NIL offer, which is nice to hear considering so many posters were conviced that was a non-starter and tried to poo-poo the whole idea of even attempting to keep him. Also frustrating because if the timing had just been a bit earlier, he may be behind center right now.
The idea that we can outbid a potential mid round nfl rookie contract is something to think about. He also mentioned writing big checks for a couple of our Oline guys, which goes to show NIL money isn’t a cure all.

we were in a position of needing to steal the ODU game because ODU scored two defensive touchdowns on giveaways from the QB. Not sure we win that game with Marucci. Pretty sure we win easily with Kern.
Or maybe we do win with Marucci. We may have won against GT and most likely would have beaten Clemson. I don't understand the line of reasoning from the folks saying we would have been just as bad or worse with Marucci. We could have been worse, much worse, same, better, or much better with Marruci. There's no way of knowing at this point how Marucci may have played, and it's purely speculation to say otherwise. At the end of the day, we will never know because Clawson made his choice. The part that still makes me angry is starting Griffis over Marucci vs FSU after the Pitt win.

Clawson has been an outstanding coach at Wake Forest. He has earned the respect of the university and its fanbase. Talk of a replacement seems inconcievable for good reason.

That said, his decisions regarding Mitch Griffis could become the start of dissatisfaction. If he starts Mitch for the remainder of the season, Mitch continues to play poorly and the Deacs continue to lose, Clawson will be subject to criticism.

Clawson has been an outstanding coach at Wake Forest. He has earned the respect of the university and its fanbase. Talk of a replacement seems inconcievable for good reason.

That said, his decisions regarding Mitch Griffis could become the start of dissatisfaction. If he starts Mitch for the remainder of the season, Mitch continues to play poorly and the Deacs continue to lose, Clawson will be subject to criticism.
If he starts Mitch for the remainder of the season, Mitch will play poorly, and the Deacs will continue to lose.

If he starts Mitch for the remainder of the season, Mitch will play poorly, and the Deacs will continue to lose.
Mitch is losing confidence and somehow becoming less decisive. Last week was bad of a performance as I can ever remember. If he has 4 more games like that there will be more and more justified and loud criticism. Clawson seems completely at peace with this and I find that concerning.

It's one thing to lose. It's another thing to lose by trying something everyone else is convinced hasn't worked.
As a raiders fan watching the Josh McDaniels saga this rings so damn true.

Who here thinks they know more football or more about his team than Dave Clawson?

Every coach who has ever been fired knew more about football than us. Of course, that's not their job. Their job is to know enough about football to win games against other coaches who know plenty about football.

Who here thinks they know more football or more about his team than Dave Clawson?

The graveyard of coaches is littered with former geniuses. Edited to add: I like Clawson and totally support him as our coach. But this whole notion that he is infallible is just fantasy, unicorn type crap. He totally WHIFFED on Griffis. He knows. We know. The world knows it.

The question now is HOW does he fix it!!

Last edited:
I think it’s clearly fair to be frustrated with our QB room this season as the staff misevaluated what we had. They have a good QB track record but it appears they missed this one pretty badly and it’s on them to fix it for next season.

I don’t think it’s nearly as rational to be begging to play Santino Marucci. This problem is not going to be fixed this season, but it would be nice for Mitch or Kern to show something against our in-state rivals and back into two more wins with Lambert’s help.

The graveyard of coaches is littered with former geniuses. Edited to add: I like Clawson and totally support him as our coach. But this whole notion that he is infallible is just fantasy, unicorn type crap. He totally WHIFFED on Griffis. He knows. We know. The world knows it.

The question now is HOW does he fix it!!
Apparently he doesn’t know. He continues to throw the o line and the receivers under the bus and keeps saying “guys need to play better around him.” We all know for damn sure Griffis isn’t the answer after a large enough sample size. So, why isn’t clawson letting SM go out there and let it fly? Ya know… the guy that actually won us a meaningful game! You can also make the argument that the players did indeed play well and also rallied around SM (carried him off the damn field). Again, nobody is saying SM is a superstar, but damn come on… we already know what we have in Griffis, but for whatever reason he and clawson are attached at the hip. The qb job was won and can’t be lost apparently.

we were in a position of needing to steal the ODU game because ODU scored two defensive touchdowns on giveaways from the QB. Not sure we win that game with Marucci. Pretty sure we win easily with Kern.
This seems contradictory. We were in that position due to the qb play. I’m still stunned he wasn’t benched that game. And then the debacle vs GT. I guess that should’ve been our signal that we’d be stuck with him all season barring injury.

Back