• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Quick help from the Pit - Flying sans License

Yeah Hertz Gold is awesome. especially if you're going somewhere like Orlando where everyone and their brother is renting a car.

They still ask to see your license when you are driving out though.

That's awesome you breezed through. I made it through recently with the following:

1) A 6" flat head screwdriver
2) A pair of 8" pliers
3) A 5" philips head screwdriver
4) One drivers license broken in half.

Seriously, that TSA delay is bullshit if I can breeze through with all that crap.

Does anyone know about the CLEAR ID thing?

how-to-join.jpg

googled it. Now I know about it.Unlike Clarence, who is still in the dark.

how_it_works.jpg

CLEAR is Denver and Orlando only, it looks like. Hopefully it catches on soon. I've always advocated some sort of Do-Fly List, something that would require a rigorous up-front (and maybe again once every five years) background check that allows someone to bypass most, if not all of security, making the commercial airline experience more like a private jet.

"In June 2009, due to the economic downturn and too much debt, old CLEAR closed without notice. Nearly 200,000 members were stranded. Recently, we bought CLEAR out of bankruptcy and we are thrilled with the opportunity to re-launch it. We are deeply sorry about the way it ended and appreciate your patience. As the new owners, we will honor prior management's obligation to you, the customer, by reinstating your remaining membership term."

http://www.clearme.com/what-is-clear

did they just not check or what

They looked at the ID, looked at me, shined the blue light at the card, looked at the boarding pass, looked back at me, then waved me along.

FWIW, I forgot to take my toiletries out of my bag - they didn't care about that, but putting my belt in the same container as my laptop got me a stern talking to by the TSA agent - otherwise, sitting in Detroit for a 3 hour layover and trying as little as possible to think about the return flight...

Wife and I had just renewed our CLEAR cards and they went under a few weeks later. It was like $140 each and there was no recourse to get our money back. It was great while it lasted, but no way I will join up again.

They looked at the ID, looked at me, shined the blue light at the card, looked at the boarding pass, looked back at me, then waved me along.

FWIW, I forgot to take my toiletries out of my bag - they didn't care about that, but putting my belt in the same container as my laptop got me a stern talking to by the TSA agent - otherwise, sitting in Detroit for a 3 hour layover and trying as little as possible to think about the return flight...

I always put other shit in the bucket with my laptop and have never once had a problem.

The DL or any other picture ID issued by a federal or state government verifies your identity. Since your identity does not expire I'm pretty sure the expiration of the card does not matter. It is still issued by an agency with procedures in place for you to prove your identity when you apply for the card. It does not matter if the card is 2 years old or 10 years old, you are still you.

I can't be the only one who thought he meant flying with no pilot's license can I? I was like, dude don't do it.

The DL or any other picture ID issued by a federal or state government verifies your identity. Since your identity does not expire I'm pretty sure the expiration of the card does not matter. It is still issued by an agency with procedures in place for you to prove your identity when you apply for the card. It does not matter if the card is 2 years old or 10 years old, you are still you.

not if the criteria is valid ID. an expired ID is not valid.

(not saying that's the TSA's criteria)

Through ftw!

National security FTL...

Remember, you aren't out of the woods yet, you still have to come home. Unless of course LV is your home and then you are clear.

On the discussion of valid IDs, would you believe that the Georgia DMV will not accept a valid military ID as a form of ID. I live in a city with an Air Force base and have had several friends who have showed up with a military ID to get a Georgia license and, after waiting 3 hours, been told they have to provide a different ID to prove they are who they say they are.

I tried to go through with an expired ID once (for the Wake-BC game a few years back actually; Patrick Ghee and his family were on the same plane) and they gave me tons of grief. Had to do all this extra stuff and almost missed the plane.

Back