• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ranking The ACC at Mid-Season

oldmandeac

Reaction score
I made a comment on the FSU chances thread of where I thought Wake ranked within the ACC - I think we are either one or two among the second tier teams, which is a major and welcomed improvement. Curious of how others see us. Here is my power rankings:

Clemson
Louisville
FSU
Miami
VA Tech
UNC
NCS

Pitt
WFU
Duke
GA Tech
Syracuse
UVA
BC

Thoughts?

UNC looked like a pile of dog shit Saturday against VT. No way I'd rank that bunch as an upper-tier team. Then again, I despise UNC with every fiber of my being.

There are maybe four "upper tier" programs and then everyone else. I'd draw the line after VA Tech and put everyone else in whatever tier you wish.

I see it more as 3 tiers. Wake at the bottom of the 2nd tier. As long as we can avoid the bottom tier entirely in future years, most Wake fans will be happy. The future looks bright.

Clemson
Louisville
FSU

Va Tech
Miami
UNC
NCSU
WFU
Pitt

Ga Tech
UVA
Duke
Cuse
BC

National Title Contender:

Clemson
Louisville

Very Good, But Not Title Contender Quality:

FSU
Miami

Pretty Good Bowl Teams:

Virginia Tech
UNC
NC State

Bowl Teams Caliber:

Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

Bad Teams (maybe some make a bowl, but really these teams are just the worst four and below the others in their own tier):

Duke
Virginia
Syracuse
BC

Miami could arguably go in a tier below FSU, but they seem to be roughly on the same plane. Argument could be made that VPI is on FSU/Miami tier but these are my own rankings and I don't believe they are.

How telling is it that the Big 3 Atlantic teams are huge favorites over conference foes this weekend. Louisville giving 35 vs Dook. Climpson giving 17 vs State. Criminoles giving 21 vs Wake. This year, they really seem to be a cut or two above the rest of the ACC. Tiers!

I like tigers more than numbers. I think there's a large muddled second tier.

NC State didn't really look that good against Wake. Wake had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the 2nd half. I'd rank NC State directly in front of Wake or Wake directly behind NC State. NC State is definitely not tiers above Wake at this point.

I think Pitt and Ga Tech are both a bit better than us. Numbers list is on the money.

NC State didn't really look that good against Wake. Wake had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the 2nd half. I'd rank NC State directly in front of Wake or Wake directly behind NC State. NC State is definitely not tiers above Wake at this point.

So bump them down from "pretty good" into the pitt, ga tech, wake tier. That makes sense. You're right that they're nothing all that special.

Add Notre Dame to the very bottom tier with an asterisk since they are not officially in the ACC,

Clemson
Louisville

FSU
Miami

Pretty Good Bowl Teams:

Virginia Tech
UNC
NC State

Bowl Teams Caliber:

Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

Bad Teams (maybe some make a bowl, but really these teams are just the worst four and below the others in their own tier):

Duke
Virginia
Syracuse
BC

This is correct IMO

I think FSU and Miami are about the same until Derwin James is back and then I'd elevate FSU a bit but still not in the same class as Clemson or Louisville. With that said, I think FSU could upset Clemson in Tally and lose to NCST in Raleigh.

We'll know for sure in 2 weeks when vt and Miami play, but I'd put vt in the 2nd tier.

Clemson
Louisville

Fsu
Vt
Miami

Clemson
Louisville

FSU
Miami

Pretty Good Bowl Teams:

Virginia Tech
UNC
NC State

Bowl Teams Caliber:

Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

Duke
Virginia
Syracuse
BC

Miami could arguably go in a tier below FSU, but they seem to be roughly on the same plane. Argument could be made that VPI is on FSU/Miami tier but these are my own rankings and I don't believe they are.

Seems about right. There will of course be some shifting between the third and fourth tiers in the next few weeks.

Clemson
Louisville

FSU
Miami

Pretty Good Bowl Teams:

Virginia Tech
UNC
NC State

Bowl Teams Caliber:

Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

Duke
Virginia
Syracuse
BC

This

Glad that WF has a chance to prove its better than many of its fans think.

The State game was a tough scheduling spot for WF as State was coming off a bye, while WF was coming off a road win at IU. Had WF played State at home off a bye, think the outcome would have been very different. GT has struggled all year, and GT's, Pitt's and UNC's defense are levels below WF. Obviously, Clemson and L'ville are among the elite teams in the country. FSU has played a ridiculous schedule (including having to play 5-1 WF after Miami and before Clemson). After those 3, WF can hang with anyone else in the ACC with the possible exception of VT who had a very deceiving loss to Tennessee (VT was up 14-0, and VT had 5 fumbles lost in that game). VT is legit. (BTW, VT's AD is the f-ing man; knocked it out of the park with both Buzz and Fuente; VT could easily have fallen off a cliff in both the marquee sports with bad hires, and Whit Babcock got it done. Kudos!).

L'ville
Clemson

---

FSU

---

VT

---

Everyone other than UVA, BC, Duke and Cuse (none of whom are that bad). There are no truly awful teams in the ACC.

Agree completely about Babcock. The consensus is that he nailed it with his WBB hire as well (although the change was made at least a year too late in my book). I hope he hangs around for a long time.

Glad that WF has a chance to prove its better than many of its fans think.

The State game was a tough scheduling spot for WF as State was coming off a bye, while WF was coming off a road win at IU. Had WF played State at home off a bye, think the outcome would have been very different. GT has struggled all year, and GT's, Pitt's and UNC's defense are levels below WF. Obviously, Clemson and L'ville are among the elite teams in the country. FSU has played a ridiculous schedule (including having to play 5-1 WF after Miami and before Clemson). After those 3, WF can hang with anyone else in the ACC with the possible exception of VT who had a very deceiving loss to Tennessee (VT was up 14-0, and VT had 5 fumbles lost in that game). VT is legit. (BTW, VT's AD is the f-ing man; knocked it out of the park with both Buzz and Fuente; VT could easily have fallen off a cliff in both the marquee sports with bad hires, and Whit Babcock got it done. Kudos!).

L'ville
Clemson

---

FSU

---

VT

---

Everyone other than UVA, BC, Duke and Cuse (none of whom are that bad). There are no truly awful teams in the ACC.

I think Wake is probably worse than a lot of our fans think. I'm glad we're optimistic (beats the alternative) but Wake got absolutely drubbed by State and manhandled up front. We haven't really matched up with teams with a lot of athleticism and I believe our defense will struggle against top 50 offenses pretty consistently this year. Getting Syracuse's pass attack in the remnants of a hurricane was great luck. I expect for FSU, Clemson, and Louisville to all dominate the LOS against us from the get go and for us to just get moved all around the field on both sides.

Similar to State, I think VPI and UNC would push us around pretty well on at least one side of the ball like State did and make Wake play a pretty perfect game from a management vantage point to get the win (think Wake's performance against Indiana - getting five turnovers while not turning it over at all).

I don't mean this to be overly critical of Wake, I just think that others are underestimating how good some of the middle-to-upper echelon teams are in the ACC.

Back