• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recent ACC coaching hires: 13 full seasons, 3 NCAA appearances

mattwfu99

Reaction score
I think we've had individuals here lust after pretty much every recent ACC hire (except maybe James Johnson). There are 8 ACC coaches with at least one full season but less than four full seasons under their belts. I thought it would be interesting to go back and see how they've progressed so far.

The chart below is conference winning percentage. I think it's interesting to see the trends. Donahue inherited a very experienced team at BC, as did Brownell at Clemson, although to a lesser extent, I think. Buzz, Gregory and Bennett all inherited very little. Gottfried certainly inherited more talent than anyone else.

What would you grade each of these coaches for the jobs they've done at their respective schools so far? Sad note: In 13 full seasons under these coaches, there are a total of THREE NCAA Tournament appearances. Yikes.

2v12m2x.jpg

Would be interesting to see the previous three seasons included as well.

LOL - nice tags. Show me where I say anything positive about [Redacted] in my post. I'm pointing out it's a sad state of affairs for the newer coaches overall. Bennett has done the best job, IMO, building a program, given what he started with and where he is now. (And I realize I probably come off as crazy saying that when Larranaga is undefeated in the ACC this year so far).

I could include previous seasons, but my exercise was to see where the coaches started and what they've done as they've had time to put their own stamp on the program. By year three, you should be seeing results. And of course, you have to take into account what you start with when you get here. I think it's interesting you see relatively similar trend lines from Bennett, Turgeon, Gregory and [Redacted], although you can see [Redacted] kind of plateauing already, and Bennett has been able to have the same rate of improvement throughout. I think there's cause for concern with BC and Clemson.

Wow, just goes to show the ACC is not what it used to be. It really is Duke and everyone else. Thankfully Miami is playing well this season and UNC will come back strong shortly. Plus the additions of Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, and ND (somewhat if they continue having good teams) will help out.

Good grief. Now we're talking about trend lines. Kinda tough for a coach to win 1 game his first season and not trend up.

Sadly, in year three we are playing like a team under a new coach in his first year, normally, you would see a team begin to come together late January or so and pick up a few surprise performances and maybe a win or two that are unexpected.

I'm just trying to figure out why the graph goes up to 1.2

Valvano won the NC in year three. We can't get to a dozen wins in year three.

All the more reason to get a legit coach who could crush this bunch of losers quickly and get us to the top.

Would be interesting to see the previous three seasons included as well.

Matt, can you add those numbers? The fall from Dino to Bz would be interesting to see in a graph compared to the other programs who hired a new coach.

To me, it's telling that Bz, in year 3, just now has us to the starting point of the other coaches who have trended up. We've made the "easy" part of the improvement now. It only gets harder from here. Because of our low starting point compared to others, our rate of improvement should have been markedly steeper. It's not.

Matt, can you add those numbers? The fall from Dino to Bz would be interesting to see in a graph compared to the other programs who hired a new coach.

To me, it's telling that Bz, in year 3, just now has us to the starting point of the other coaches who have trended up. We've made the "easy" part of the improvement now. It only gets harder from here. Because of our low starting point compared to others, our rate of improvement should have been markedly steeper. It's not.

That's a really good point.

I will go back later today and add the previous numbers. I will "defend" Buzz in saying that the dropoff for him in Year 1 wasn't just due to poor coaching, but also to the cupboard being left relatively bare, IMO. I'd be interested to see the win % for first year coaches (not just in the ACC but in general) compared to average experience (minutes played, % of scoring/rebounding returning... not sure what the best way to measure that would be).

Ph, I agree with you, but I think it's easier said than done (in finding the right person). The first part should be easy enough.

I think it's fairly silly to discuss trends with 3 data points.

The only stat that matters to me is that we arnt one of those teams. I would be happy with a coach who got us into the big dance 3 out of every 4 years with that one year being a rebuilding year. I would be satisfied with that. However, with our deep roots in the acc and the money this program has (say what you want to but its now 60G a year to go yo wake...we have money), i dont see how we couldnt throw enough money in and a big name coach like Stevens or Smart

Classic example of the consequences of low expectations.

Year 1
Wellman: "No expectations, just get your feet wet." Check.

Year 2
Wellman: "I want to see improvement." Check.

Year 3
Wellman: "I want us to start taking down a few of the big boys." Check.

Classic example of the consequences of low expectations.

Year 1
Wellman: "No expectations, just get your feet wet." Check.

Year 2
Wellman: "I want to see improvement." Check.

Year 3
Wellman: "I want us to start taking down a few of the big boys." Check.

The big boys being a home game against a NC State team that is not currently ranked and is tied for 4th in the conference.

I think it's fairly silly to discuss trends with 3 data points.

Not when those data points are averages made up of many more data points and we're talking about something as volatile as college coaching.

That's a really good point.

I will go back later today and add the previous numbers. I will "defend" Buzz in saying that the dropoff for him in Year 1 wasn't just due to poor coaching, but also to the cupboard being left relatively bare, IMO. I'd be interested to see the win % for first year coaches (not just in the ACC but in general) compared to average experience (minutes played, % of scoring/rebounding returning... not sure what the best way to measure that would be).

Ph, I agree with you, but I think it's easier said than done (in finding the right person). The first part should be easy enough.

Suggestion - I understand why you used Year 1, Year 2, etc. But since you are adding in additional years, I think it will be more useful and easier to read/compare if you label the years, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, etc.

Back