• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Leave the Redskins name alone... It's not offensive and for those who think it is, get a fucking life... Geez, everyone is always offended over something.... The freaking name has been fine for 100 years and all the sudden the name is degrading.. The only "redskins" or "indian" that comes to mind when watching the redskins is a black man who dresses up as a indian every week at the football games.. Go on to the next cause and leave the name alone...

Dan - Can you expand on this a bit?

Erik Kuselias Show @EKShow
Joe Gibbs on Redskins nickname: I really think it’s a minority group that wants to change it. I just can’t see it. I love it.

haha

Well, Richard Sherman just threw down the gauntlet. The Redskins will have a new name by the start if the season now.

Born and raised in the DC area. While the name controversy has been simmering for awhile, I never thought that the name would change. Starting to rethink that. On its face, the name is as offensive as gets for native americans (if the team name was blackskins with old black guy on the helmet or even yellowskins with an old Asian guy on the helmet the name would have been changed long ago), and if native americans made up substantial portion of the NFL player pool the name also would have changed long ago. Keeping things the same for the sake of "tradition" makes no sense to me. The name "Redskins" has no particular relevance to the DC area as the team was originally the Boston Redskins and moved to DC. Other professional franchises have changed their name (including the Washington Wizards which used to be the Bullets) and thrived; the Washington football team could and should do the same.

Born and raised in the DC area. While the name controversy has been simmering for awhile, I never thought that the name would change. Starting to rethink that. On its face, the name is as offensive as gets for native americans (if the team name was blackskins with old black guy on the helmet or even yellowskins with an old Asian guy on the helmet the name would have been changed long ago), and if native americans made up substantial portion of the NFL player pool the name also would have changed long ago. Keeping things the same for the sake of "tradition" makes no sense to me. The name "Redskins" has no particular relevance to the DC area as the team was originally the Boston Redskins and moved to DC. Other professional franchises have changed their name (including the Washington Wizards which used to be the Bullets) and thrived; the Washington football team could and should do the same.

That analogy would work if the overwhelming majority of black people had no problem with the name "Blackskins" and in fact several 90%+ black high schools in America had the name "Blackskins" as their mascot.

There are decent reasons to change the name but the "can you imagine if they were called ________skins" is not one of them. Even worse "what if they were the Washington N Words".

That analogy would work if the overwhelming majority of black people had no problem with the name "Blackskins" and in fact several 90%+ black high schools in America had the name "Blackskins" as their mascot.

There are decent reasons to change the name but the "can you imagine if they were called ________skins" is not one of them. Even worse "what if they were the Washington N Words".

Can you point me to a survey or study that has revealed that an overwhelming majority of Native Americans/American Indians have "no problem" with the name and mascot? Most support that I have seen has come from folks employed by Daniel Snyder and from surveys with representativeness problems.

Do not equate the name "Redskins" with "Indians", "Braves", Chiefs" or "Seminoles". It's not the same. Name the college or high schools that currently have the nickname Redskins, not Indians or some other similar name.

If you do not get the difference between Redskins and Indians, then, of course, you would think there is no reason to change the name.

Last edited:
Do not equate the name "Redskins" with "Indians", "Braves", Chiefs" or "Seminoles". It's not the same. Name the college or high schools that currently have the nickname Redskins, not Indians or some other similar name.

If you do not get the difference between Redskins and Indians, then, of course, you would think there is no reason to change the name.

Not to mention that several colleges have changed their mascots from "Indians" or whatever in the last 20 years. And it hasn't been that big of a deal. Current college students probably have no idea Miami (OH) used to be the Redskins and St. John's used to be the Redmen.

Redskins Name Change Thread (Update: Snyder starts Original Americans Foundat...

There are 60+ high schools in America that have the name Redskins as their mascot and if memory serves me correct a few of them are on Indian reservations.

I don't see a big difference honestly. In fact, if you want to talk about offensive I think the Braves doing their war chant (portraying American Indians as blood trusty savages) is worse. The Redskins (even if you think the name is offensive) do not use near as much derogatory American Indian imagery as other Indian teams.

Don't get me wrong...I am on record as saying that I would change the name if I we
I owned the team. I think he is on the wrong side of history and would be better off giving up instead of fighting a losing battle.

Last edited:
There are 60+ high schools in America that have the name Redskins as their mascot and if memory serves me correct a few of them are on Indian reservations.

I don't see a big difference honestly. In fact, if you want to talk about offensive I think the Braves doing their war chant (portraying American Indians as blood trusty savages) is worse. The Redskins (even if you think the name is offensive) do not use near as much derogatory American Indian imagery as other Indian teams.

Don't get me wrong...I am on record as saying that I would change the name if I we
I owned the team.
I think he is on the wrong side of history and would be better off giving up instead of fighting a losing battle.

So why haven't you changed your handle?

NeersNDeacs
NattiesNDeacs
CapsNDeacs

All could work for you.

He could enjoy gas station grub:

Bar-B-Q_Flavor_Pork_Skins_l-160x210.png

Can you point me to a survey or study that has revealed that an overwhelming majority of Native Americans/American Indians have "no problem" with the name and mascot? Most support that I have seen has come from folks employed by Daniel Snyder and from surveys with representativeness problems.

So no?

So why haven't you changed your handle?

NeersNDeacs
NattiesNDeacs
CapsNDeacs

All could work for you.

If I owned the team I would change the name to the Skins and drop all Indian imagery. I would make the hogs the mascot.

Redskins Name Change Thread (Update: Snyder starts Original Americans Foundat...

No...the survey(s) have been posted several times before (i think on this thread) but I don't feel like looking them up while on my phone.

No...the survey(s) have been posted several times before (i think on this thread) but I don't feel like looking them up while on my phone.

I am pretty sure the stuff posted earlier has all suffered from at least one of the problems I alluded to above. I thought you might have come across some new evidence.

I'll say, though: I'm impressed at how entrenched Snyder is in a position that is already well on the wrong side of history (and has been that way for awhile)...

If I owned the team I would change the name to the Skins and drop all Indian imagery. I would make the hogs the mascot.

Ah. So short for Pigskins.

That would work.

Back