• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Well, some Native Americans are offended by it. Whether or not it's enough to matter, or if there's a relationship between the two, I find to be the more interesting part.

I see what you're saying. But, the reality is that this poll, for better or for worse, effectively ends the name change issue. Dan Snyder/NFL will cling to this for the next 30 years. If Snyder was feeling any pressure before (probably wasn't) it's now gone. The name isn't, and never will, change while the team is owned by the Snyder family.

They aren't amish holmes - sure there are some reservations that are too far away from populated areas, but thats a small percentage - the vast majority of natives live in urban/suburban areas and have access to internet and phones - and running water and electricity, too.

I don't think this is true, but I need to look into how I can pull some data.

The name was never going to change anyway as long as Snyder owned it.

He's only in his early/mid 50's, I think, so unless something crazy happens, ownership won't be changing anytime soon. Even when he passes away/move on, he has a son, so the team will likely stay in the family.

ETA: He's 51

http://www.uihi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Broadcast_Census-Number_FINAL_v2.pdf

This says 71%. It is higher than I thought, but there are some issues with census data. You can have populations with much more rural conditions that are included in metro statistical areas because of their proximity to urban centers.

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2014/narrowing-digital-divide-navajo-nation

Spread across the Four Corners region of the American Southwest, the Navajo Nation is home to up to 175,000 members of the Navajo Tribe. Tribal members live scattered across more than 27,000 square miles of land stretching from northeast Arizona to northwest New Mexico to southeast Utah.

It’s a place where many roads have never been paved, many buildings don’t have a formal postal address and thousands of families remain cut off from the electrical grid. At least 60 percent of homes don’t have landline telephone service even though wireless signals are often spotty or nonexistent. The 911 system often cannot track where people are calling from during an emergency. And high-speed Internet access has been almost entirely unavailable.

That is one tribe, and I realize that. I just personally think your statement could be misleading to those not familiar with the conditions that many native communities face.

http://www.uihi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Broadcast_Census-Number_FINAL_v2.pdf

This says 71%. It is higher than I thought, but there are some issues with census data. You can have populations with much more rural conditions that are included in metro statistical areas because of their proximity to urban centers.

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2014/narrowing-digital-divide-navajo-nation

That is one tribe, and I realize that. I just personally think your statement could be misleading to those not familiar with the conditions that many native communities face.

Its not - you are trying to find an issue with it because you want to - the navajo population is small, and they do have some reservations in rural areas of new mexico and arizona, but that is not the norm.

Honest question...have you ever heard the term redskin be used in an obviously derogatory fashion? I don't know if I've everead heard the term used outside of the context of football and while I don't have any evidence to suggest this other than my own lack of experience with the term but I'd wager most Native Americans (especially the one that are under 50) haven't really experienced it either....although like I said, I could definitely be wrong about that

You obviously have never paired your beloved Bacon with a delightful small to medium sized potato, which goes great with roasted garlic and rosemary. If I hear that word, I either think of the proper noun of the football team or of the variety of potato.

I can't imagine there are any living people left who have either heard or used that term in a derogatory way towards indigenous peoples. I've heard plenty of upset Cowboys fans use it.

But keep in mind: not having a problem is no excuse not to be outraged.

Its not - you are trying to find an issue with it because you want to - the navajo population is small, and they do have some reservations in rural areas of new mexico and arizona, but that is not the norm.

I don't understand your point about Navajo? It is the largest reservation, and I just posted that 60% of homes don't have landlines.

That same link says that only 54% of Indian Country has access to basic broadband internet.

And the first link says that 1 in 5 urban native americans live in poverty. Do all of those people have access to internet?

I don't understand your point about Navajo? It is the largest reservation, and I just posted that 60% of homes don't have landlines.

That same link says that only 54% of Indian Country has access to basic broadband internet.

And the first link says that 1 in 5 urban native americans live in poverty. Do all of those people have access to internet?

I would imagine it is close to 1 in 5 americas live in poverty, and yet the internet penetration in the usa is like 90% - and the data is from 2010 when broadband internet penetration was around 60% across the board.

I mean, you are basically saying that all internet surveys of anything in america would be false based on the same logic.

You obviously have never paired your beloved Bacon with a delightful small to medium sized potato, which goes great with roasted garlic and rosemary. If I hear that word, I either think of the proper noun of the football team or of the variety of potato.

I can't imagine there are any living people left who have either heard or used that term in a derogatory way towards indigenous peoples. I've heard plenty of upset Cowboys fans use it.

But keep in mind: not having a problem is no excuse not to be outraged.

Especially if mindless PC dictates that you should be. Fuck intent. Fuck context. Fuck history. Fuck usage. PC says it's so, and therefore it is. PC, the perfect guide for confirmed simpletons.

Especially if mindless PC dictates that you should be. Fuck intent. Fuck context. Fuck history. Fuck usage. PC says it's so, and therefore it is. PC, the perfect guide for confirmed simpletons.

To be clear, there are huge problems facing this community worthy of our attention. This ain't one of them, but God bless the low-investment, look-at-mee crowd. #saveourgirls

I would imagine it is close to 1 in 5 americas live in poverty, and yet the internet penetration in the usa is like 90% - and the data is from 2010 when broadband internet penetration was around 60% across the board.

I mean, you are basically saying that all internet surveys of anything in america would be false based on the same logic.

Perhaps we got crossed up. I don't think I am saying anything like that.

Perhaps we got crossed up. I don't think I am saying anything like that.

Your argument was that natives have less access to phone and Internet which in turn caused them to not be represented in the surveys done - which is not accurate. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing - that there are reservations that lag behind getting connected to "modern culture"? Sure - there are Podunk places in west Carolina that do too.

Your argument was that natives have less access to phone and Internet which in turn caused them to not be represented in the surveys done - which is not accurate. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing - that there are reservations that lag behind getting connected to "modern culture"? Sure - there are Podunk places in west Carolina that do too.

And why does posting data that directly states that there issues with non-access to phone and internet not matter?

The entire argument is about a Native American slur being used as a mascot and whether or not that's responsible or reasonable. You post data that is then countered by saying it's nearly impossible to get an accurate representation in polls of Native Americans precisely because a number of the people that would be more likely to vote against you don't have access to polling systems.

That's a fucking idiotic argument.

But keep telling yourself it doesn't matter. You'll be on the wrong side of history with this as I'm sure you are with countless other actual issues that you brush off as "PC bullshit"

And why does posting data that directly states that there issues with non-access to phone and internet not matter?

The entire argument is about a Native American slur being used as a mascot and whether or not that's responsible or reasonable. You post data that is then countered by saying it's nearly impossible to get an accurate representation in polls of Native Americans precisely because a number of the people that would be more likely to vote against you don't have access to polling systems.

That's a fucking idiotic argument.

Bro, calm down and read my posts - the data provided for the native population is the same as with the entire U.S. Population proportionally - so the idea that natives may not be represented is not accurate, unless you want to argue that all survey data using online collection methods are flawed. That's a fact - feel free to look it up. Also, I don't need people like you fighting this fight, you literally have no point of reference to discuss this.

Bro, calm down and read my posts - the data provided for the native population is the same as with the entire U.S. Population proportionally - so the idea that natives may not be represented is not accurate, unless you want to argue that all survey data using online collection methods are flawed. That's a fact - feel free to look it up. Also, I don't need people like you fighting this fight, you literally have no point of reference to discuss this.

https://consumerist.com/2016/02/04/4-reasons-tribal-lands-lack-better-access-to-the-internet/

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/us-fails-its-annual-broadband-deployment-test-at-fcc/

But this thread no longer serves any purpose (hasn't for a while)

Just as racists will never be convinced not to be racist, LGBT-haters will never be convinced that rights are rights, so to will those who support Snyder and his ignorant stance never be convinced otherwise.

Enjoy!

Back