• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Dems are very well positioned just based on who is up for reelection in 2016 to take back the Senate. 24 GOP members and 10 Dems are up for reelection

Doubtful though because Dingy Harry is already scared and not running in Nevada.

Well I don't think he's scared, he's just blind in one eye, 75 years old and has been a senator since 1987. That does throw in an additional seat to limbo.

Dems are very well positioned just based on who is up for reelection in 2016 to take back the Senate. 24 GOP members and 10 Dems are up for reelection

Not really, only IL, WI, & NH are likely pickups and NH may be stretching things. FL, PA, & OH are up but I can't see them turning. Plus the DEms may lose NV with Harry on way out.

GOP has to defend seven seats in states Obama took in the last two elections while the Dems have to defend two that are not categorized as "solid Democrat" across the board: the aforementioned Nevada and Colorado.

If Grassley runs Iowa will stay red IMO.

Huckabee announcing in a couple of weeks. Waaaay too many social conservatives in the field. Bodes well for a "moderate" since social conservatives will splinter donors and votes in Iowa.

Iowa is a long way away. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these people drop out before Iowa.

GOP has to defend seven seats in states Obama took in the last two elections while the Dems have to defend two that are not categorized as "solid Democrat" across the board: the aforementioned Nevada and Colorado.

If Grassley runs Iowa will stay red IMO.

Yeah, I think Grassley is running and IA will likely stay red. The 2 the Dems could lose are CO and NV. But Bennett should be helped by there being a presidential election and not a mid-term. No idea what the NV race looks like. Pubs have 7 races in play. They lose IL and more likely than not WI. We don't know the FL candidates for either side yet. PA, OH, NH and NC could be in play depending on how strong the Dem challengers are. As of now, I'd say it's a likely net pick-up of 2-3 seats. The only way I think it gets to a net pick-up of 5-6 is if the Pubs run a wing nut and Hillary wins in a landslide with a large coattail effect.

In presidential elections, Iowa has been a blue state going back to 1988 all but one time (2004). It is pretty reliable blue except for its Senators.

Yeah the 2016 push for Dems relies upon their traditional boost in presidential years. It should be an interesting election cycle to watch all the way around.

In presidential elections, Iowa has been a blue state going back to 1988 all but one time (2004). It is pretty reliable blue except for its Senators.

The funny thing about their senators is that they'd been re-electing Harkin and Grassley forever, 1 who was just about the most left wing senator and 1 who is quite conservative.

How did Iowa become the bouncer at the political candidate strip club?

[h=6]Fox News
[/h]8 hrs ·

“I think it was a mistake to be in Libya. We are less safe.”
Senator Rand Paul addressed foreign policy concerns today in New Hampshire as GOP presidential hopefuls gathered for the second day of the Republican Leadership Summit. http://fxn.ws/1IWlPZe

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Bold strategy.

[h=6]Fox News
[/h]8 hrs ·

“I think it was a mistake to be in Libya. We are less safe.”
Senator Rand Paul addressed foreign policy concerns today in New Hampshire as GOP presidential hopefuls gathered for the second day of the Republican Leadership Summit. http://fxn.ws/1IWlPZe

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Bold strategy.

Is he wrong?

If President Bush taught us anything, democracy and the ME don't mix. It's either a strongman or a zealot.

Let them pick their poison. Fuck 'em.

Last edited:
I agree with him. I think it is political suicide within the nutjob right wing. Hence the "bold strategy".

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/15/3647498/christie-doesnt-know-whats-good-for-him/

During a radio interview with Hugh Hewitt, Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) claimed he will “crack down” on states that have legalized marijuana, if he becomes President in the future.

“Marijuana is a gateway drug. We have an enormous addiction problem in this country,” said Christie. “And we need to send very clear leadership from the White House on down through the federal law enforcement. Marijuana is an illegal drug under federal law. And the states should not be permitted to sell it and profit from it.” Asked if he’ll enforce federal law in Washington and Colorado, he responded, “Absolutely. I will crack down and not permit it.”

Bizarre how badly 'Pubs keep fumbling marriage equality and letting it beat them over and over. None of the presidential wannabes who has even a tiny chance of viability in a general election can answer whether they'd attend a gay wedding. Anyone who gives an unqualified yes eliminates themselves from the GOP primary. Saying no kills them with young people. Walker said he'd attend a reception, but not the ceremony. Problem is that cake or pizza aren't part of the ceremony so nobody's religious rights are under fire. One of Walker's kids was a witness at a relative's civil ceremony and his kids have lobbied Walker to give up opposing marriage equality. Asa Hutchinson's kid told him to veto the RFRA bill in Arkansas. If these guys are losing on the issue around their own dinner table, why can't they just STFU about an issue they've already lost nationally?

Back