• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired NFL and College Football Numbers

94Deac

Grouchy SOB
Reaction score
I've tried to come up with a list of football players who have had their number retired in both college AND the NFL. I've never seen a resource that combines both; it's either NFL retired or college by college but not both together. This is what I've got so far.

Piccolo is obvious: #31 Wake and #41 Bears. If Wake ever retires Bill George's number, we'll have two college/NFL as the Bears also retired George's #61. For some inexplicable reason, Walter Payton's Jackson State #34 isn't retired but I can't determine if anyone wears it or has in recent years.

Dick Butkus: #50 Illinois and #51 Bears.

Red Grange: #77 Illinois and Bears.

Jim Brown had his retired by the Browns but his #44 at Syracuse was retired for Brown, Davis, and Floyd Little who wore it (among others) in that order.

Marino's #13 at Pitt and Miami.

Unitas #19 at Louisville and the Colts.

Earl Campbell #20 Texas and #34 Oilers.

Reggie White #92 Tennessee and Eagles and Packers.

Bronco Nagurski #79 Minnesota and Bears.

Doak Walker #37 SMU and Lions.

Barry Sanders #21 Oklahoma State and #20 Lions.

Sammy Baugh #45 TCU and #33 Redskins.

Steve Young #8 BYU and 49ers.

Steve Largent #83 Tulsa and #80 Seahawks.

Marshall Faulk #28 SDSU and Rams.

Duh, those are two pretty big ones. Totally forgot about Simms.

Gale Sayers #48 @ Kansas and #40 w/ the Bears.

I accidentally deleted that one while editing another line.

kennyloggins: OJ's number is retired at USC but not by the Bills (and certainly not the Niners). And in deference to ResIpsa, his new number is actually "02648927."

Interesting that Reggie White's number was retired by 2 NFL teams

Reggie played for two teams I patently hate, especially the Packers, and I certainly had no use for his social or political views. HOWEVER, White was a ridiculous monster on the field. I believe he is the only player with the double-retiree distinction.

Minnesota doesn't retire football numbers, so you have to remove Nagurski from that list (also his #3 was retired by the Bears, not #79).

Minnesota doesn't retire football numbers, so you have to remove Nagurski from that list (also his #3 was retired by the Bears, not #79).

Accidentally omitted the #3 for Bronc.

I see sources that do indicate the Gophers don't/haven't retired numbers. Here's where I got this from: http://markrea.wordpress.com/2008/07/05/big-ten-retired-football-jerseys-%E2%80%93-part-2/

In the first part of this entry, we dealt with the first half of a list of the players whose numbers have been retired by the various conference schools along with their accomplishments. Here is the second half of that list, going alphabetically by school.

79, Bronislau “Bronko” Nagurski – If ever a name perfectly fit a football player, it would be Bronko Nagurski. At a time when 5-10, 170-pound players were considered for line positions, Nagurski was a bruising 6-2 and 226 pounds. He used that bulk to his advantage, playing tackle on defense and fullback on offense. Nagurski was so good that he made some All-America teams on defense and others on offense. During his three seasons with the Gophers from 1927-29, the team posted a record of 18-4-2 and won the conference title in ’27. Nagurski went on to star for eight seasons in the NFL with the Chicago Bears, and he is a charter member of both the College and Pro Football halls of fame.

Back