• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Jurgen put a big focus on "improving our youth system" and we have now missed back to back olympics

Hard to see that happening this time, but a year is a long time in international soccer. They also won the Olympic gold in 2012 and then needed us to bail their asses out to even make Brazil in 2013. Who knows what the future holds

Still stupid of the US to win that match having already qualified. Should have passed it around the back for the last 10 minutes

USWNT players are suing ussf for equal pay/accommodations. Good for them

USWNT players are suing ussf for equal pay/accommodations. Good for them

My initial thought when hearing that on NPR this morning is that I would be interested to see who brings in more money for the USSF? USMNT or USWNT?

My initial thought when hearing that on NPR this morning is that I would be interested to see who brings in more money for the USSF? USMNT or USWNT?

USWNT did last year, but I'm assuming that was because of their WC year. I don't know the figures for each individual 4 year cycle.

USWNT did last year, but I'm assuming that was because of their WC year. I don't know the figures for each individual 4 year cycle.

In the article I read this morning their attorney said "The U.S. Soccer Federation made a profit of $16 million on the women's team last year. It had a loss on men's team."

It might make sense if the USMNT's world cup revenues all came in the year that the cup was held. I can't imagine the women netting more than the men on an average year basis. The men's world cup is just magnitudes bigger than the women's - the revenue difference has to be astronomical.

The women deserve more money than they are getting now. The revenue numbers are also completely misleading. Look at the number of home friendlies the women play compared to the men. That explains a huge percentage of that difference, even though the per game revenues are usually higher for the guys.

The women deserve more money than they are getting now. The revenue numbers are also completely misleading. Look at the number of home friendlies the women play compared to the men. That explains a huge percentage of that difference, even though the per game revenues are usually higher for the guys.

Novak Djokovic disagrees.

I could be completely wrong, but it's my understanding that the deal with the USWNT was collectively bargained. If the amount the women are paid is the result of a bad deal, they need to negotiate a better deal next time around. The media loves to hop on stats like "the USMNT gets paid 4 times more than the women" without the related context. My guess is that the are a number of factors at play (e.g., world cup year, what other national women's team get paid versus men's teams, the revenue generated by the men's world cup versus the women's world cup; revenue generated by TV and ticket sales -- the fact is that men's soccer has more interest than women's soccer -- case in point, look at men's professional leagues around the world versus women's leagues). While it creates immediate controversy to compare the women's versus the men's salaries the situations are not necessarily the same.

Men's soccer generates more interest than women's soccer but the US women's soccer players generate more interest than the US men's soccer players.

It's an weird dynamic. Our women's players are better known and relatively better than our men's players. But the men's opponents are some of the most well-known athletes in the world and our women basically play nobodies.

Men's soccer generates more interest than women's soccer but the US women's soccer players generate more interest than the US men's soccer players.

It's an weird dynamic. Our women's players are better known and relatively better than our men's players. But the men's opponents are some of the most well-known athletes in the world and our women basically play nobodies.

I don't think there's a big gap, if any. Maybe now that people like Landon aren't on the team any more. But I think the top players from both teams are probably equally well-known.

If the women are actually bringing in equal revenue, both from games and sponsorships, etc. then they should end up with something approximating equal money. But there's a lot of things going into this that make it more complex than the lawsuit would like you to believe

For example, the top women's player are on salary from US Soccer, essentially guaranteed money no matter how many games they play in, if they are hurt, etc. None of the men's players get anything unless they make the roster. It's rational to accept less money guaranteed over more money not-guaranteed - though maybe not this level of disparity

Last edited:
So, uhhhhh, Deacon-at-heart Brek Shea is our answer at left back? That's really what it has come to. (To be fair, he's looked pretty good recently)

So, uhhhhh, Deacon-at-heart Brek Shea is our answer at left back? That's really what it has come to. (To be fair, he's looked pretty good recently)

How did Castillo look in the Guatemala games?

Back