• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ric Flair in medically induced coma

Watched first 20 minutes before I crashed. Will wrap up the rest tonight. Not sure the second half addresses it but it must be sad living the twilight years of your life as a persona. It was pathetic to see him hawking shit on Instagram from his death bed.
Yeah, it covers it really well. Pretty sad at the end when he admits he was an awful father and awful husband so he guesses he wants to be remembered as one of, if not the greatest wrestler/entertainers ever.

I think his daughter Ashley/Charlotte's success in WWE has really helped him fill the dark void that was created when he didn't have wrestling, didn't have those WWE friends around constantly, and didn't have his wife nor his kids. Ashley & Paul/Triple H both saved his life as he would have killed himself had Triple H not made him get help for the drinking and Ashley allowed him a path to be part of wrestling again after his retirement & his son's death.

I was coming back from a business meeting in Charlotte yesterday evening and completely forgot it was coming on. I'll probably try to watch it on demand tonight. I've watched Ric Flair since I was a little kid. I'm sure it will be sad in a lot of aspects learning about his struggles.

Pretty cool seeing NFL/college football players doing his hype montage to pump up their teams, as well as hearing Hulk Hogan say how Flair was light years better than him as a wrestler/entertainer.

Pretty cool seeing NFL/college football players doing his hype montage to pump up their teams, as well as hearing Hulk Hogan say how Flair was light years better than him as a wrestler/entertainer.

The Hulkster was just stating the obvious. Although, for what WWE/F was at the time of his peak, Hulk was a pretty effective entertainer. His in ring skills were never in the same galaxy as Flair's though.

Watched first 20 minutes before I crashed. Will wrap up the rest tonight. Not sure the second half addresses it but it must be sad living the twilight years of your life as a persona. It was pathetic to see him hawking shit on Instagram from his death bed.

They address it pretty well. The last 30 minutes take a much darker turn.

I was at Palm Restaurant in Charlotte several years ago and Flair and his son were at the next table. When he finished and it was time to pay the check, he pulled out a big roll of cash and made sure everyone around could see it. he must have held it out high and over the table for a couple of minutes as he counted off the money for the bill. Incredibly obvious that it was all a show for everyone to see. I remember that he and his son hardly said a word at all to each other the entire time they sat there.

Nothing against the man, but doesn't this program reflect how far ESPN has fallen from its zenith as THE sports channel?

I mean, nobody had cancer and died, so you could say it was a departure from the normal ESPN human interest piece. I enjoyed it more than those.

It's amazing the number of athletes, entertainers, etc. that I once thought I'd love to be, that I now thank god I'm not and feel sorry for.

He turned his back on the Panthers during our 2015 superbowl run, all that matters here.

Oh it was well before that.

I had forgotten how much I hated Tully Blanchard when I was a kid. Growing up in NC in the 80s with the NWA on TV was fantastic.

Wooo!!! I really enjoyed it when Hulk Hogan acknowledged that Flair was 10 times the wrestler he was. Flair was my favorite wrestler as a kid watching WCW in the 90s.

025f957613e622b3085367a357e271ec.jpg

Flair was essentially the Arnold Palmer of wrestling. He brought wrestling to the masses, was loved by many and knew absolutely how to play to the media.

I understand there are millions of miles of difference between Palmer and Flair on many levels. I get all of that. However, in their respective sports, they were pioneers.

I had forgotten how much I hated Tully Blanchard when I was a kid. Growing up in NC in the 80s with the NWA on TV was fantastic.

Me too, I couldn't stand Tully, which is about the biggest compliment I could pay him. He played the heel so well.

Watched last night with the lady. Didn't realized how effed up of a life he had. Talk about messed up priorities. Still, I agree that he was a pioneer of the sport.

Back