• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

FWIW, the rise of TCU football can provide an example of how uncertain football future can be.

When the Southwest Conference broke up in 1995. TCU was a non-factor in football. They had been to two bowls in the previous 27 years, and they were at best, the seventh best and/or most relevant football program in the State of Texas (behind Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU and Houston). When the SWC broke up, no conference wanted small private irrelevant TCU.

Texas, A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech were invited to join the Big 8 to make the Big 12. Houston was invited to join CUSA, which eventually became the AAC. With no other takers, TCU, SMU and Rice were relegated to the awful WAC conference.

TCU football was dead and was never coming back. The Power Conferences had left TCU behind and no one cared. Except TCU. They kept playing football.

TCU turned moderate success in the WAC into an 2001 invite into the CUSA to again join Houston. After a couple of strong years in CUSA, TCU was invited to join the Mountain West, where they actually made it to the Rose Bowl in 2010 and had a perfect season. TCU had then accepted an invite to join the Big East, when the Big 12 came calling to invite them back to the Big Boy table. In 2014, TCU got screwed out of CFP invite when they mysteriously dropped in the playoff standings after beating Iowa State 55-3 to end the season. They kept playing football.

This year, no SEC team other than UGA is in the CFP. No ACC or Pac 12 team is in the CFP. TCU is in and they are seeded ahead of tOSU. Little irrelevant private left-for dead TCU. They just kept playing football.

Now, if there was a message board in 1995, I'm sure those with the NJD's perspective would be harping over and over about the fool's errand that is TCU football. We are a small private school and irrelevant even in our home state; non-Power Conferences don't even want us. What is the point of going to WAC or the CUSA or MWC, TCU can't compete with big money/big donor schools like Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma? They have all of the money, power and prestige. We are just Little Old Horned Frogs. Even so, they kept playing football ... look where they are now!

No one would've imagined it in 1995. No one would have predicted it in August. The CFP was already determined:

Bama
tOSU
UGA
and one of Michigan, Clemson, A&M, Oklahoma or USC.

WF will keep playing football, and for those that think its a waste of time. Go F yourself.

What has impressed me about TCU is that it did not simply end when Gary Patterson was shown the door. Instead, it only got better. Much, much better! That is a sign of a healthy, well-built program and not some fly-by-night.
I would like to think Wake has been built correctly, this time, hopefully similar to TCU and that if Clawson ever did leave, we're not back at Square One, 1-11 and laughable wandering in the desert for 10+ years. We now have the facilities, 7 straight bowls, and Top 10 appearances to at least form a baseline for future growth.

Sustaining a winning program outside of the top 5-6 programs is extremely difficult.

First NJD22 says Monsanto isn’t athletic. Now he’s saying Wake football probably won’t make a bowl game next year. Well, that’s just like, your opinion, man. STFU about it.

It's not my intention to stir this shit back up but since my post on Deacons Illustrated was mentioned, feel like I need to clarify here:

On my board, I said: "The amateur model is dead." I'm not going to copy and paste the whole thing, but I don't see being the same as "he just wrote his own rather sad explanation for why college sports are ruined and are on a pretty transparent death path."

Especially when the post ended with: "Some of the foundational elements of college athletics are changing and I can't fault anybody for losing interest because of that. I still enjoy telling stories from games, getting to know players and telling their stories, and trying to be a link between what coaches are seeing and/or want to accomplish, and putting that into proper perspective."

I'm not going to go all Wolf of Wall Street, "I'm not leaving" GIF here but I mean ... I don't think college athletics are going to cease to exist. And if they do, I'm fine with rearranging deck chairs until that date. If that comes, I guess I'll need to find another skill.

It's not my intention to stir this shit back up but since my post on Deacons Illustrated was mentioned, feel like I need to clarify here:

On my board, I said: "The amateur model is dead." I'm not going to copy and paste the whole thing, but I don't see being the same as "he just wrote his own rather sad explanation for why college sports are ruined and are on a pretty transparent death path."

Especially when the post ended with: "Some of the foundational elements of college athletics are changing and I can't fault anybody for losing interest because of that. I still enjoy telling stories from games, getting to know players and telling their stories, and trying to be a link between what coaches are seeing and/or want to accomplish, and putting that into proper perspective."

I'm not going to go all Wolf of Wall Street, "I'm not leaving" GIF here but I mean ... I don't think college athletics are going to cease to exist. And if they do, I'm fine with rearranging deck chairs until that date. If that comes, I guess I'll need to find another skill.
Maybe NJDeac22 can stick to his own “end of all fun for sports fan” gloomdom and leave the reporting to you.

Great that we have RTQ. Here is what i want to know. If Sam Howell got $360k as a signing bonus (ie guaranteed money), as a fifth round pick, why wouldnt Hartman stay in college one more year? Assuming he didnt have a serious injury, which isnt a given (see Hendon Hooker), he would a) have a chance to improve his draft stock, while still enjoying the bright lights of being a college QB and b) make more money than he could in the NFL. If that is the case, is Wake just going to let him go to another school (ND, Florida) or is RTQ going to actually step up? Assuming he stays in college, what would Clawson prefer, let him walk for team chemistry or RTQ and others pay him to keep the wins coming?

This isn't LOWF at all. It has nothing to do with Wake Forest. It's about Fox/B10, ESPN/SEC, their insatiable desire for money combined with the inability of the NCAA to protect the sport from bad actors.
Not really. It is about the courts ruling that college players could get money. That threw it wide open and the NCAA has no more jurisdiction

Are those printed cans? They don’t come cheap these days. Or shrink sleeves?

Back