• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

Seems like so many NIL collectives popped up that people didn't know who to contribute to or they were spread too thin. You're starting to see boosters get organized now and consolidate different collectives into a centralized NIL organization at a lot of universities.

I def get that this is happening, but everyone expects it from schools like Miami so it's not really upsetting the apple cart. What I'm saying is that if objectively elite players start transfering from [insert blue blood] to FAU then there will be a push for the NCAA to try to regulate it.
They are already going to Jackson State & Deion

I have no problem with it if they did it honestly. Also, there already have been some egregious occurrences. Miami had a booster openly tweet a cash offer to a basketball player still enrolled at Kansas State, who then transferred there and took the money. Seeing this, Isaiah Wong, already on the Miami roster, told the booster that if he didn't match that money he would leave, so the booster (Ruiz I believe is the booster's name) matched it and paid Wong too. Miami and Florida also had a very open bidding war for a high school QB recruit where they both publicly offered him over $10 million.

I thought this said Rulz at first

Lol at defending companies like EA and the "transparency" with which they pay players, but if a fan wants to toss whatever money they feel like at Tyree Appleby for an autograph it's some sinister illegal thing.

As soon as pandora's box was opened this was always inevitable. It's sports. There is hardly any tangible value to any of it, so there's no way to enforce any meaningful restrictions unless you go to the opposite extreme and come up with some kind of payment caps for the entirety of college sports. Which will never happen since Alabama's booster profile will never be relevant to Wofford's.

Of all the things to try to shame folks over, Wake putting together a booster collective has to be near the bottom of the list. Ridiculous.

Lol at defending companies like EA and the "transparency" with which they pay players, but if a fan wants to toss whatever money they feel like at Tyree Appleby for an autograph it's some sinister illegal thing.

As soon as pandora's box was opened this was always inevitable. It's sports. There is hardly any tangible value to any of it, so there's no way to enforce any meaningful restrictions unless you go to the opposite extreme and come up with some kind of payment caps for the entirety of college sports. Which will never happen since Alabama's booster profile will never be relevant to Wofford's.

Of all the things to try to shame folks over, Wake putting together a booster collective has to be near the bottom of the list. Ridiculous.
Well stated. The hypocrisy is rich indeed.

The guys running the RTQC have lots of money. Part of the reason they have lots of money is they recognize where they will get the best return on investment. Those 8 guys provide clarity on how to reach Wake Forest athletes. Their docs make it clear that they can handle and facilitate general, sport specific and athlete specific NIL deals. They also note that they structure contracts to minimize down side if an athlete transfers away from Wake.

The guys running the RTQC have lots of money. Part of the reason they have lots of money is they recognize where they will get the best return on investment. Those 8 guys provide clarity on how to reach Wake Forest athletes. Their docs make it clear that they can handle and facilitate general, sport specific and athlete specific NIL deals. They also note that they structure contracts to minimize down side if an athlete transfers away from Wake.
I.e., the NIL deal ends if the athlete transfers, I would expect.

I.e., the NIL deal ends if the athlete transfers, I would expect.

That would make it pay for play at a specific school. Technically illegal under the exiting "rules." However, there are ways of structuring deals that follow the "rules" and accomplish the goal.

That would make it pay for play at a specific school. Technically illegal under the exiting "rules." However, there are ways of structuring deals that follow the "rules" and accomplish the goal.

Yeah. Like that Miami NIL deal that says players have to show up once a week to sign autographs or do a TV spot or something.

There's also going to be a bunch of players who fuck up their taxes concerning the NIL money.
Why do you say that? You think it will be more of an issue than any set of young individuals making their first money? I'd assume these guys will have more support/education that the typical kid coming into the work force.

Why do you say that? You think it will be more of an issue than any set of young individuals making their first money? I'd assume these guys will have more support/education that the typical kid coming into the work force.

Yes because they’re not W-2 employees who have don’t have to worry about withholding and FICA.

Yes, because I'm assuming most of these players are being played as 1099 employees and not having taxes withheld like typical young individuals starting their first job. And I expect some of these guys getting large sums of money are going to forget to set aside money for taxes.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Hopefully, if we are coordinating payments we can also coordinate "withholding".

Doesn't really work like that.
Educating works however we want it to work. If we have a coordinated effort to deliver NIL we can have a coordinated education program for those that receive it, just like any other athlete education initiatives.

Educating works however we want it to work. If we have a coordinated effort to deliver NIL we can have a coordinated education program for those that receive it, just like any other athlete education initiatives.

What you really need is a dedicated CPA tracking all of the NIL payments and making estimated quarterly payments.

I hate Mac Brown, but he’s the only coach in the ACC that will actually give specifics as to what kind of garbage is going on.

If the Holes, who many players and their families/friends/high school coaches bleed Carolina blue, think NIL is a "huge problem", then not sure how to describe what kind of "challenge" it is for schools like Wake.
Read an article a while back that says the conference best-suited for the coming changes of NIL is the MAC: most of their schools have been members for 40-50 years, they rarely if ever add or lose a member school ,and their core recruiting profile will likely remain 2-stars within a 100 miles or so of the school. And their fans like it b/c they can reasonably drive to any school within the conference for an away game.

Just got an ESPN alert that Mack expects Drake Maye to return next season. It's a sad state of affairs that it's newsworthy that the ACC redshirt freshman ROY/OPOY/POY QB is returning to play for a team preparing for the conference championship.

Back