• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rondale Watson & Andre Washington transferring

So the kid overachieves, could earn significantly more minutes next year as a junior and he decides to transfer?

He could be Taron Downey.

I think a guy like Rondale transferring after showing he could hang in the ACC is a major indictment of Manning and the direction of the program.

So the kid overachieves, could earn significantly more minutes next year as a junior and he decides to transfer?

I think a guy like Rondale transferring after showing he could hang in the ACC is a major indictment of Manning and the direction of the program.

I don't think it would be a good thing for us to have to depend on Rondale Watson to have a major role for this team the next 2 years, but he did show enough that this transfer probably does hurt in the short-term at least. Funny how as bad as this season turned out, I'm already preparing myself for even worse next season. Our only hope is that the 3 promising freshman all improve significantly and the "shooters" we're bringing in contribute more than anticipated.

Taron Downey was the starting PG on an ACC regular season champ as a sophomore. Rondale Watson was the 8th man (only after Hudson was bounced) on a team that finished 2-17.

If you compare the two again, Downey may come to your house and actually slash your throat.

What does this even mean?

Rondale Watson is never going to be Taron Downey.

It would be foolish of Watson to stay as it is much easier to transfer after your sophomore year than after your junior year due to how much playing time you have left.

The program needs the opportunity to upgrade its talent at that position so having the scholarship come open was a necessity. It will only be an indictment of the program if Manning brings in a similar rated player and the revolving door keeps spinning in a couple of years.

How many recruits have actually graduated from Wake in the last six/seven years?

How many recruits have actually graduated from Wake in the last six/seven years?

So, let's just summarize where we're at here. With Hatch and Wellman we're supposed to hang our hat on our culture and academics, however in reality we aren't graduating players that come here and of course we suck. I thought only in politics could you completely suck at your job and keep it.

Rountree graduated, so we've got that going for us.

Rountree graduated, so we've got that going for us.

Plus, he's playing in the NCAA tournament, so I'm sure Hatchmen counts that as a feather in their cap too. Doesn't matter it's with another team mind you.

sad thing is he was probably a better player than Donavan Mitchell and Dick Wash are going to turn out to be.

Given the fact that we have 1 "proven" wing man (McClinton), I'd hope it means that either A: we have tremendous confidence that Richard Washington is going to fill that void as early as next year, or B: we are about to get news of a grad transfer that can fill that hole.

If Rondale said I'm going to average 9.9 points and 2.5 assists a game my senior year, I wouldn't think those are outlandish goals given his performance as a freshman and sophomore.

I'm assuming he gets better, which I know is probably a stupid assumption at Wake, my point is you would think a player like Rondale would want to stick around if he thought the program was on the upswing.

So, when WF signed Rondale Watson, many if not most were aghast and openly advocated a transfer. Now that he is transferring, the sentiment is that we wish he would stay?

Rondale Watson was 8th in minutes and 9th in overall contribution on a bad team that went 11-20 and 2-17 in the ACC. Keeping or losing Rondale will make no significant difference in WF's fortunes in 2016-7 or the year after. He would be at best a role player. The Taron Downey comparison is crazy. When Downey was a sophomore (Rondale is a sophomore), in 2003, Downey was the starting PG, and played the most minutes (yes, he played more minutes than Josh Howard or Justin Gray or Eric Williams) on a team that went 25-6 and FINISHED FIRST IN THE ACC AND WAS A #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. In what world was the starting PG on the best team in the ACC somehow comparable to the 9th man on pathetic team that went 2-17 in the ACC?

Wish Rondale well, and wouldn't be surprised if he has success on the mid-major level, but losing Rondale Watson is irrelevant to the fortunes of WF basketball and is neither a good or bad sign for the program. Realize that it sucks to not be playing when most Power V teams are getting ready for either the NCAA or some other post-season tournament, but we don't really need to make the loss of Rondale Watson a material event. It is not.

Last edited:
And now we'll sign someone who is a Dukes/Washington-esque stop gap, and the cycle continues.

If Rondale said I'm going to average 9.9 points and 2.5 assists a game my senior year, I wouldn't think those are outlandish goals given his performance as a freshman and sophomore.

I'm assuming he gets better, which I know is probably a stupid assumption at Wake, my point is you would think a player like Rondale would want to stick around if he thought the program was on the upswing.

If the team is bad enough for him to get enough minutes to get those kind of numbers then Manning should be fired on the spot.

And now we'll sign someone who is a Dukes/Washington-esque stop gap, and the cycle continues.

That may happen but it shouldn't. The staff has plenty of time to bring in a one year grad transfer and then get a better recruit in the 2017 class. If that doesn't happen, it will be be very disappointing.

Given the fact that we have 1 "proven" wing man (McClinton), I'd hope it means that either A: we have tremendous confidence that Richard Washington is going to fill that void as early as next year, or B: we are about to get news of a grad transfer that can fill that hole.

Glad you put "proven" in quotes, because all he has proven is that he can't play at this level.

Back