• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rubio

I stopped listening when he went quickly to the "government is inherently the problem" crapola.

We don't need better government...no such thing...just less of it. Inspiring. Not.

No one's gonna look good giving the response. If the GOP was smart, they'd stop any presidential hopeful from doing it. Not that this would really have any effect if he runs in '16. Also, they should make sure they turn on the AC in the room.

No one's gonna look good giving the response. If the GOP was smart, they'd stop any presidential hopeful from doing it. Not that this would really have any effect if he runs in '16. Also, they should make sure they turn on the AC in the room.

He probably looked good to the base. He will have a leg up in the primary.

Why do they need to give a response at all. All it does is get the base riled up while everyone else collectively groans (even moreso than listening to the SOTU itself).

But, yeah, Rubio ain't winning shit in 2016. The GOP needs to kiss and make up with Christie or beg Jeb Bush to run.

Just watched.

What a fucking trainwreck by Rubio. Worst GOP response since Jindal cratered his national aspirations.

Why do they need to give a response at all. All it does is get the base riled up while everyone else collectively groans (even moreso than listening to the SOTU itself).

But, yeah, Rubio ain't winning shit in 2016. The GOP needs to kiss and make up with Christie or beg Jeb Bush to run.

This is where I disagree. The perception of last night's performance will have no effect on his 2016 run (assuming he runs). I, also, think the guy could easily win the nomination. I think he would've won it last year if he threw his hat into the ring. The base loves him.

This is where I disagree. The perception of last night's performance will have no effect on his 2016 run (assuming he runs). I, also, think the guy could easily win the nomination. I think he would've won it last year if he threw his hat into the ring. The base loves him.

The base also seems to love the idea that he will deliver the Hispanic vote. I don't think that's true necessarily.

I don't necessarily mean because of his response. I mean because I don't think he has enough of what it takes to push him over the top.

The base also seems to love the idea that he will deliver the Hispanic vote. I don't think that's true necessarily.

Yeah. I think he delivers the cuban vote; not the hispanic vote. but, all the white republicans will love voting for him thinking they'll get all the hispanics in the general election.

Yeah. I think he delivers the cuban vote; not the hispanic vote. but, all the white republicans will love voting for him thinking they'll get all the hispanics in the general election.

That might help you get Florida, but not much else. If the angry white men don't give a good bit on latinos and some form of amnesty, they can kiss AZ and at some point TX goodbye. Their electoral college state gimmes grow smaller as the base stays set in its ways.

That's something I hadn't really though of. Will Mexican/Cuban/etc. vote for each other?

Rubio appealing to the base is why the GOP is completely shortsighted. Appealing to the base is not their problem. Their problem is scaring the shit out of moderates who twice voted for GWB. Appealing to the type of person who would post about it on FB isn't really what they need in 2016.

That said, the SOTU response is always a losing proposition. Jindal learned that the hard way a few years ago - Rubio struck me as a relatively bright guy. I wonder why he and/or his handlers allowed him to do it.

That's something I hadn't really though of. Will Mexican/Cuban/etc. vote for each other?

Not automatically. Not at all. Cubans don't really consider themselves Hispanic in line with Mexicans and South Americans.

Cubans are moving more towards Obama because of younger Cubans who aren't one issue voters.

The real story in FL is Puerto Ricans in Orlando. They've been moving there at a steady clip because of the down economy in PR. Immigration reform isn't going to move the needle for them.

Rubio will help messaging to Latinos because he speaks Spanish. Not much more than that if he's delivering the same old message.

That said, the SOTU response is always a losing proposition. Jindal learned that the hard way a few years ago - Rubio struck me as a relatively bright guy. I wonder why he and/or his handlers allowed him to do it.

Totally unimpressed with Rubio. Came across as whiny, angry, and squirrelly when he needed to come across as confident and optimistic.

Also don't get why he'd agree to take on a thankless task with little upside and considerable downside. Rand Paul's move was even dumber-he's sloppy thirds, nobody saw it, and he positioned himself as the far(ther) right candidate. Not exactly the path to the White House.

Totally unimpressed with Rubio. Came across as whiny, angry, and squirrelly when he needed to come across as confident and optimistic.

Also don't get why he'd agree to take on a thankless task with little upside and considerable downside. Rand Paul's move was even dumber-he's sloppy thirds, nobody saw it, and he positioned himself as the far(ther) right candidate. Not exactly the path to the White House.

This. And saying shit like "Obama thinks that private business is the problem" and "the financial crisis we just went through was all because of gov policy" is a crock of shit. Fear mongering lies.

Republicans think Obama the worst person ever, so they gladly step up to the mic and give a response bashing the worst person ever. The problem with the Republican response is that it comes after Obama is at his best. Great speaker, engaging, non-partisan, and calling for unity. A guy in CNN's focus group said it well. Wish I could find it. He said that Rubio just made it clear that Republicans weren't going to work with the President and seek out more gridlock.

Back