• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rutgers athletics department continued struggles

Watching the Rutgers President's press conference, I could not help but picture President Hatch's incompetent self trying to defend Ron Wellman.

It was so appropriate watching that Rutgers President squirm as the press asked him why, with a matter this serious, he couldn't be bothered last fall to spend 30 minutes watching that video before approving the 3 day suspension. Now the chief legal advisor at Rutgers is gone. The Rutgers AD is gone. But that joke of an administrator where the buck was supposed to stop, still has his job. Apparently President Hatch is not the only President who is not capable of fulfilling his supervisory responsibilities.

Normally, this would not be as a big of a deal, but given the circumstances, Rutgers needed to get everything about this hire 100% correct. Holding him out as a Rutgers graduate when he failed to hold a degree is not a minor oversight. Some colleges require all head coaches to have a college degree; no idea if that is a requirement at Rutgers, but if so, this could be a major problem. The Big 10 has got to be wondering how the F then ended up with Rutgers.

As I said, the Rutgers President is another Nathan Hatch. He's either too much above it all to actually do his job, or he doesn't care about the lack of integrity or competence displayed by his employees.

What an absolute shit storm this has been for Rutgers. They need to fire everyone and start from scratch.

Last edited:
Show me a coach and I will find a player who feels like they were "abused." Kids today are pretty weak.

So the woman hired to clean up the mess after an abusive coach was, herself, an abusive coach.

Congratulations, Rutgers. You really have outdone yourself this time.
She was not much different than Mike Rice, terrorizing her players with “mental cruelty” and labeling them “whores, alcoholics and learning disabled,” according to a letter from members of the 1996 team.
How did Rutgers let this happen? Who, exactly, does the vetting for this university? This was not some month-long investigation that found these players. They were contacted during the basic reporting that goes into any profile of a public figure in an important job.
Two sources familiar with the search process for the new athletic director said the headhunter firm, Parker Executive Search, submitted an initial list of 47 candidates to Rutgers. Hermann was not part of that initial group, added later by committee co-chairwoman Kate Sweeney.

So Rutgers hired a search firm, then ignored it, then failed to do a thorough background check on the woman it eventually hired. So Rutgers takes what should have been an easy decision in November – firing an out-of-control coach – and embarrasses itself again in May.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/05/julie_hermann_should_never_hav.html

It's clear that Rutgers is in serious need of a "culture change", and I know just the guys to clean house.

Reminds me of Herman Cain-these aren't brand new allegations, so why volunteeringly put yourself in a position where this would inevitably would be exposed? Rutgers is located in the largest media market in the country and thanks to Mike Rice coach/player relationships get additional scrutiny. On the bright side, at least she hasn't been accused of causing a gay student suicide yet.

As I said, the Rutgers President is another Nathan Hatch. He's either too much above it all to actually do his job, or he doesn't care about the lack of integrity or competence displayed by his employees.

And this story runs and runs. Apparently their new AD badly verbally abused her players when she was a volleyball coach. When the players complained, she quit.

Link: http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/rutgers_new_athletic_director.html

Like I said, the Rutgers President is another Nathan Hatch. Athletics are just not important enough to be worth doing right. A university President's time is just too important to waste on student athletes.

These fuckers need some culture change in the form of Bzz and Wellman. I hear NJ is a nice place to retire anyway. It's close to the culture capital of the world.

Back