• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

I think our best win was FSU this year. They're going to be excellent next season. This year they were very solid and were one of the few teams in the nation to take down 2 different SEC teams (like we did).

Damn. Was hoping he'd go to a contender. OU will have a winning record next season but I don't think they'll be back in the T10 mix for a long time.
Disagree, but do agree that they looked like shit this year and put a few more gray hairs on my head. Still managed a very well rounded top 5 class, though. The D needs a thorough washing, however, and getting a guy like Bothroyd is one way to start the cleanse. DE now a position of strength - 2 from portal and a 5* who tore it up in the UA game. DT needs work for OU. 2 years from being back to top 10, maybe next year if Gabriel can up his play. Last 4 losses were all by 3 points because D couldn't finish or O shot itself in foot. Texas game an aberration with no QB.

Lincoln Riley's successes in bringing in QBs covered up a lot of deficiencies that were left to fester (see USC vs Tulane as an example). He fucked over the program in more ways than the obvious one of taking Caleb Williams away.

Disagree, but do agree that they looked like shit this year and put a few more gray hairs on my head. Still managed a very well rounded top 5 class, though. The D needs a thorough washing, however, and getting a guy like Bothroyd is one way to start the cleanse. DE now a position of strength - 2 from portal and a 5* who tore it up in the UA game. DT needs work for OU. 2 years from being back to top 10, maybe next year if Gabriel can up his play. Last 4 losses were all by 3 points because D couldn't finish or O shot itself in foot. Texas game an aberration with no QB.

Lincoln Riley's successes in bringing in QBs covered up a lot of deficiencies that were left to fester (see USC vs Tulane as an example). He fucked over the program in more ways than the obvious one of taking Caleb Williams away.

I agree they'll be better in 2 years but they won't be able to dominate the SEC like they did the Big 12 (a few years ago). I'm excited for the B12 schedule release whenever it finally happens.

I hope Sam has a great Season at ND. Hell, hope he wins the Heisman. I mean, wtf not? Do I hope we bury ND ass when we play them? Absolutely. Hate ND, always have.
Sam did what was best for Sam just like any of us would have done. But I'm staying on the Hartman train right thru what I hope is a solid Pro career.
Exactly

Which, if true, really pisses me off.
Did you see the play vs. Cuse where he tried to hurdle a tackler? No, I don't think he was playing not to get hurt. I think the game plan was to not run him as much, because of the blood clot issue and lack of a proven #2 at QB. I don't question Sam's effort and desire to win one bit. I get it, I hate ND too and we're butthurt he's going there, but the kid gave us all he had while here I firmly believe.

Did you see the play vs. Cuse where he tried to hurdle a tackler? No, I don't think he was playing not to get hurt. I think the game plan was to not run him as much, because of the blood clot issue and lack of a proven #2 at QB. I don't question Sam's effort and desire to win one bit. I get it, I hate ND too and we're butthurt he's going there, but the kid gave us all he had while here I firmly believe.
He played hurt the whole second half of last year because of the hits he took running the ball over and over. It's probably why he struggled so much down the stretch in addition to just typically being bad in big games. I think this year they intentionally had him run less in the hopes that it would keep him closer to 100%. The blood clot has 0 to do with anything, he was never on blood thinners while playing.

I've never cracked, bruised or broken a rib, but from what I hear about the experience, getting one removed wouldn't be all that conducive to running and getting tackled by 300lb people. I think we were trying to protect him as much as possible so he didn't get squared up where his rib used to be.

I have broken two ribs (on two separate occasions). It hurts to move, breathe, talk, and if you cough or sneeze then it feels like you're being stabbed with a hot dagger in the side.

No idea how the hell anybody would play football right after that unless they are so hopped on pain pills or a shot, that they don't feel anything at all.

I have also never had a rib removed, but it’s not one of the big ribs in the chest. It was the tiny one near the collar bone that most people don’t even know exists. So I’m not sure it’s exactly the same with breathing pain although I certainly agree that it was a reason for not running.

Word on the street, though this is from well-connected Wake people not ND, is that the Irish paid Sam $2M to make the move. If that's true, it shows a lack of ambition from Sam imo. The NFL rookie minimum is almost half of that and would put him one year closer to getting out of his rookie contract where if he could reach back up level, he'd make more like $4M a year. He'd probably make more than a rookie minimum anyway if he squeezed into the 4th or 5th round which wouldn't be too unexpected. He must not have a ton of confidence in his ability to be an NFL backup, which sucks. College sports these days is like watching one slow funeral becoming more and more dead each year, so I'm not going to freak out over something like Sam's situation, I just think it's incorrect to say taking a bribe from a college was the only financially smart thing for him to do. He chose not only to play at another university, he chose to play against us. All when he would have made comparable money in the NFL.

Back