• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

That 10M is for (hopefully on their part) 4 years of play, not a one year merc contract.

Yeah I hear you. I was talking about the record as it stands. He didn’t play half of ‘19 or he wouldn’t have been able to redshirt and ‘20 was a shortened Covid season. It just bugs me when people say he played like 6 years when that’s not entirely true.
Yea I completely agree that right now it's a pretty intact record. He'll finish with 48 games played. Every other QB could have or did redshirt and get 4 free games (Sam's 4 games in 2019) so it's not like he did anything that wasn't allowed before covid.

That 10M is for (hopefully on their part) 4 years of play, not a one year merc contract.
Brings up a great question. Are the NIL amounts guaranteed and paid up front or paid over time and a risk of loss if player gets injured and his NIL loses value? If guaranteed I see a very lucrative opportunity to get into insurance business and provide injury ins. to these NIL funds to protect their investment!

Yea I completely agree that right now it's a pretty intact record. He'll finish with 48 games played. Every other QB could have or did redshirt and get 4 free games (Sam's 4 games in 2019) so it's not like he did anything that wasn't allowed before covid.
if anything, he got unlucky with the shortened season plus cancellations the covid year, with us only playing 9 games.

Based on what? Florida offered a QB currently in high school over $10M to commit there. Sam is waaaay less of an unknown than that so saying he could get $7M(ish) for one year seems perfectly reasonable. Doing research instead of just deciding what you think is true is helpful.

Are you referring to Jaden Rashada? There is conflicting information out there (but presumably he's getting paid pretty well next year at UF)

Brings up a great question. Are the NIL amounts guaranteed and paid up front or paid over time and a risk of loss if player gets injured and his NIL loses value? If guaranteed I see a very lucrative opportunity to get into insurance business and provide injury ins. to these NIL funds to protect their investment!
I don't think any legitimate business would touch these fraudulent "collectives" with a 10 foot poll. Technically, none of these deals are allowed since they cannot be dependent on any level of play or play at all and are supposed to solely be compensating players for the use of their name, image, likeness, etc. in something such as a commercial or autograph appearance. Insuring that would prove it is an investment in pay for play. Collectives right now are still attempting to pretend they are compensating for some service outside of playing football/basketball, which is why you'll see Roll the Quad come out with a periodic player podcast or jersey giveaway.

Are you referring to Jaden Rashada? There is conflicting information out there (but presumably he's getting paid pretty well next year at UF)

Correct. The dollar figure is widely available on social media. Believe it was $9.5 from Miami and then they were outbid by UF.

lots of things are widely available on social media, and some of them are true

lots of things are widely available on social media, and some of them are true
Lol you are 100% correct, but it was from reputable recruiting websites. I'll see if I can find it. You'd be surprised how openly this stuff is discussed with specific dollar amounts for deals that are very clearly against the rules.

Right. 4 seasons of 12-13 games plus 4 redshirt games is actually more than 48.

Purely theoretical, but transfers are pulling in top dollar, a lot more than high schoolers, because they're a known commodity. Lots of big time recruits out of high school do nothing in college, and even the ones that do often only start for two years. We thought Brett Griffis was better than his brother and was the QB of the future, and he's gone without ever playing a game. If UF is willing to pay $10M+ for an unknown I'm confident they would pay at least $5M for one year of a known commodity. Maybe not $8M but $5M is still like 8 times what Sam would get in the NFL.

Based on what? Florida offered a QB currently in high school over $10M to commit there. Sam is waaaay less of an unknown than that so saying he could get $7M(ish) for one year seems perfectly reasonable. Doing research instead of just deciding what you think is true is helpful.

About that...

Purely theoretical, but transfers are pulling in top dollar, a lot more than high schoolers, because they're a known commodity. Lots of big time recruits out of high school do nothing in college, and even the ones that do often only start for two years. We thought Brett Griffis was better than his brother and was the QB of the future, and he's gone without ever playing a game. If UF is willing to pay $10M+ for an unknown I'm confident they would pay at least $5M for one year of a known commodity. Maybe not $8M but $5M is still like 8 times what Sam would get in the NFL.

About that...
How is this the same lol. I'm theorizing about Sam's potential salary at Florida based off of what they were reported to pay another QB. I'm making a theory and citing evidence to back it up. The previous post just decided I was wrong without offering any information to back it up.

How is this the same lol. I'm theorizing about Sam's potential salary at Florida based off of what they were reported to pay another QB. I'm making a theory and citing evidence to back it up. The previous post just decided I was wrong without offering any information to back it up.
It's conjecture or speculation, not theory.

Anybody following the situation as far as "realignment" goes knows that where we'll end up is with 40 schools (current B10 and SEC plus Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, Notre Dame, one other) leaving the NCAA and forming NFL/NBA 2.0 with the B10 and SEC being essentially the NFC and AFC and then each split into east and west. The remaining schools that may or may not stay under the NCAA umbrella will just become a more codified minor league to that level, as opposed to the informal minor league arrangement created by this portal/NIL shitshow.

Wish American fans realized their power in preventing the money hungry from destroying their sports the way English soccer fans did in preventing the "Super League". The English are rarely a positive example, but they are in this sense. Ugh.
This is 100% the doomsday proposition, and is not likely, in my opinion. And certainly "anybody following the situation" doesn't feel this way.

This is 100% the doomsday proposition, and is not likely, in my opinion. And certainly "anybody following the situation" doesn't feel this way.
The only question I've seen is whether the B10 and SEC leave the NCAA officially or not. The rest of it has largely already happened.

Not picking a side here, but what exactly do you think a theory is?
A theory is a proposed framework to explain an observed phenomenon. Yes there is conjecture involved in developing a theory but the word theory doesn't fit when discussing a specific action by a specific individual. NJDeac is speculating that Sam could make a lot of money because others have been offered a lot of money; that is one prediction that might fit into a larger theory. He is not proposing a testable framework to explain how NIL markets work or some grand predictive model (e.g.; NLI pay = B0 + (B1(#TDs-log(#int)^2)/(age+past_injury), he is guessing that one dude could make $6,500,000 to play football at UF.

The P5 becoming a P2 and ending up in a different division entirely has most definitely not happened.

A theory is a proposed framework to explain an observed phenomenon. Yes there is conjecture involved in developing a theory but the word theory doesn't fit when discussing a specific action by a specific individual. NJDeac is speculating that Sam could make a lot of money because others have been offered a lot of money; that is one prediction that might fit into a larger theory. He is not proposing a testable framework to explain how NIL markets work or some grand predictive model (e.g.; NLI pay = B0 + (B1(#TDs-log(#int)^2)/(age+past_injury), he is guessing that one dude could make $6,500,000 to play football at UF.

Based upon observed phenomenon. He's saying the value is tied to the inherent worth of an athlete based upon accomplishment to date, and greater value will be placed on accomplishments out of high school than within high school.

Back