• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

My guess is that the suspensions would be limited, if any, because the PGAT knows that a player bailing on LIV for the PGAT is good for the PGAT.
yeah but you're also making it easy for PGA Tour players to jump for the LIV money grab knowing they get to come back almost when they want. You are giving them the best of both worlds and rewarding them. So more guys will jump to LIV for a while and then just come back. Not good. Can't do it.

Honestly depends on who it is. For example, DJ is going to be treated differently than Pat Perez. Players who were not party to the lawsuit brought against the tour should certainly have a shorter suspension.

Or maybe not a suspension, but a probationary year where they have to play all the lesser events.
Boy if the PGA Tour does something like this it is a disaster. DJ gets his $200 million and gets to come back? See what kind of reaction Justin Thomas and Speith and Tiger and Rory the like have to that. They will quit the tour.

LOL, no they will not quit.

I'm talking about a one time amnesty designed to drive the final nail into the LIV coffin.

LIV is going to fail without losing those guys to come back to the PGA Tour. No final nail needed. No way the tour does that. If they are, the morale of the other tour players will never be recovered. They will never trust the PGA Tour again. From there it will be problem after problem.

The PGA Tour doesn't need ANY of the defectors back. They are done. Gone. They will mean absolutely nothing to the Tour of they were added back. In fact, they are now subtractions. The tiny advantage of letting some of those guys come back is light years outweighed by letting them sow their oats and the Tour continuing to display they are loyal to those who are loyal to them.

LK lova ya, but no way

No way that the PGAT bans guys like Harold Varner III forever.

That said, the PGAT isn't going to give these guys their old rankings back; and with the new tiered system favoring the players with the higher current ranking and the fact that most LIV guys have seen their best days, it will be hard for them to get back into the top 50. With all of the money that guys like Koepka and DeChambeau made are they going to play events like the Puerto Rico Open to try to restore their rankings? Most will not.

Well if the PGA Tour allows them back, then they did the smart thing by going to LIV. And the PGA Tour leadership will look like the bigger assholes.

And bonus, you guys will get to hear from DonaldRoss about who the smart one is.

No way that the PGAT bans guys like Harold Varner III forever.

That said, the PGAT isn't going to give these guys their old rankings back; and with the new tiered system favoring the players with the higher current ranking and the fact that most LIV guys have seen their best days, it will be hard for them to get back into the top 50. With all of the money that guys like Koepka and DeChambeau made are they going to play events like the Puerto Rico Open to try to restore their rankings? Most will not.
Harold got tons of sponsor exemptions early in his career, and he came close a handful of times in recent years to joining the winner's circle. He made his choice to take the LIV $$ instead of fully earning his chops on the PGA tour which is fine, but I don't know if the PGA tour feels any compelling reason to want him back on tour. His background and story are (were) compelling, but there are others in the pipeline who will can that void.

Well you can't just allow the guys back who have a good backstory. This isn't American Idol.

So you either allow them all back or none of them. And I don't think Monahan is dying to see Mickelson's dipshit face at a regular schedule of PGA Tour events. Nor is any of the rest of the membership.

Last edited:
Well you can't just allow the guys back who have a good backstory. This isn't American Idol.

So you either allow them all back or none of them. And I don't think Monahan is dying to see Mickelson back playing a schedule of PGA Tour events. Nor is any of the rest of the membership.
Agreed. But there is a basis for treating some folks differently. Mickelson merits a lifetime ban for the creation of LIV and the way he's acted. And the guys who sued the tour merit stronger suspensions than the guys who didn't. And they shouldn't just get their tour card back. They should have to make their way back via the Korn Ferry or DP. As a practical matter, I think a majority of LIV golfers will not make it back to the PGA tour. I don't see the older Euro and RSA guys even trying to get back after doing the LIV thing for a few years.

You guys assured me LIV wouldn’t be around and that it would have no impact on the PGA Tour.

LIV events, like majors, are a lot of fun. Hope to see y’all out there !

If it technically exists but no one watched it, is it really around?

If we can somehow combine the world's funniest animals with the LIV tour, then I'm all in.

It would be easy if it was World’s Funniest Home Videos. Guys would just have to take golf balls to the nuts.

You guys assured me LIV wouldn’t be around and that it would have no impact on the PGA Tour.

LIV events, like majors, are a lot of fun. Hope to see y’all out there !
He just compared LIV events to majors. Now THAT is hilarious.

Yeah I don't see the PGA instituting different rules for better/worse players should LIV fail. Plus I think the idea understates how much of a betrayal LIV is seen as. I'd assume the bans would be a certain number of years after that last LIV event played, then you start over with no status.

I'm not really opposed to essentially splitting the PGA into two tiers. First, with the huge increase in prize money you're not just cutting up the same pie differently, you can support two events. And if you go to smaller elite no-cut fields for more elevated events, then there are more players for the backup event. I doubt they have the mix right as far as number of smaller events and number of players, but it's probably a step in the right direction.

The one thing I'd really love to see - continued expansion on the technology/coverage front. For the few minutes I could stand watching a LIV event, it was so comical that they talked up all these new mic'd up moments and awesome new access when the video quality is crap, the weird permanent banner down the side of the screen made it look like a web cam, etc. Give me 4k streaming, keep going with the mic'd up walks they've been doing but expand them to more players and caddies, give me condensed versions of each individual player's round on watchESPN, etc. And please for the love of God get rid of the "playing through" garbage.

Back