• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Wedge game is a little different than the short game around the greens. Tiger had a similar issue to a lesser extent early in his career, but quickly figured out how to play soft handed wedges and control the spin and made it a strength. At 30, Rory should've figured that out by now. As far as he hits the ball, he's always going to be hitting a lot of 100 to 125 yard wedges. If he can't figure it out, then he's going to underachieve relative to his talent. I don't know if he's got any relationship with Steve Stricker, but Stricker is deadly with his wedges even now. It's a beautiful thing to watch Stricker play that no hands wedge shot he has, if Rory had that he could win double digit majors.

Nice to see Jennifer have a great week on a tough course. She'd been having a mediocre year going into the week at Liberty, so it was nice to see her get a runner up finish. And it was probably good that she didn't win - she would have been the villain. Zhang might just have a pretty decent LPGA career ahead of her.

Zhang winning is not getting near the press she deserves. What an absolute stud.
The LPGA has been crying out for a US star for a decade since Stacy Lewis had her 3 year run. They've spent the last decade attempting to make Lexi Thompson that person, but she is just a choke artist cement head waste of talent. Zhang could be that person, and the next several years could be her v. Thitikul for #1.

Wedge game is a little different than the short game around the greens. Tiger had a similar issue to a lesser extent early in his career, but quickly figured out how to play soft handed wedges and control the spin and made it a strength. At 30, Rory should've figured that out by now. As far as he hits the ball, he's always going to be hitting a lot of 100 to 125 yard wedges. If he can't figure it out, then he's going to underachieve relative to his talent. I don't know if he's got any relationship with Steve Stricker, but Stricker is deadly with his wedges even now. It's a beautiful thing to watch Stricker play that no hands wedge shot he has, if Rory had that he could win double digit majors.
Rory swings way too hard at wedges and flights them way too high. Much more difficult to control. He's not having a good year, but Justin Thomas has a great dead hands wedge game. Big reason for Jason Day's resurgence as well.

Rory is 13th in the Fed Ex Cup standings, which for him, is disappointing. OTOH, Justin Thomas is 75th, and he has been a complete non factor this year.

From the rickrungood database, Rory's current stats are all over the place. He's #4 of all players in the database (which includes PGAT, DP World Tour, and LIV players - who only have limited stats available) in strokes gained tee to green, he's #13 in the database in strokes gained on approach, including #3 in approach from 50 to 125 yards, he he's #13 strokes gained around the green, but.... he's #172 in strokes gained, or more accurately in strokes lost, putting. So, while Rory could be a little better around the greens, his major problems are with his putting.

Last edited:
Rory swings way too hard at wedges and flights them way too high. Much more difficult to control. He's not having a good year, but Justin Thomas has a great dead hands wedge game. Big reason for Jason Day's resurgence as well.
Yep, I always felt like that hurt Greg Norman back in the day as well. Yeah, Norman could put impressive spin on the ball, but when it causes the shot to end up off the green or turn a 5 footer into a 25 footer, what good is it? Seems like you see guys trying to reduce the spin on those shots a lot more than trying to zip the ball back these days unless it's a shot that really calls for it.

Rory is 13th in the Fed Ex Cup standings, which for him, is disappointing. OTOH, Justin Thomas is 75th, and he has been a complete non factor this year.

From the rickrungood database, Rory's current stats are all over the place. He's #4 of all players in the database (which includes PGAT, DP World Tour, and LIV players - who only have limited stats available) in strokes gained tee to green, he's #13 in the database in strokes gained on approach, including #3 in approach from 50 to 125 yards, he he's #13 strokes gained around the green, but.... he's #172 in strokes gained, or more accurately in strokes lost, putting. So, while Rory could be a little better around the greens, his major problems are with his putting.
He and Scheffler can commiserate about the putting thing. Scheffler would have won the last 4 weeks if he had hit just the occasional 8-15' putt.

Buckets, I saw Hovland caddying this a.m. on TGC. He has quickly become 1 of my favorite players and seems like a genuinely great dude. I also thought it was cool that Rory watched the whole last round of the DP in Hamburg where his fellow countryman Tom McKibbin won his 1st pro tourney.

Yep. Gotta have that flighted down two hops and slam on the brakes wedge shot in the bag.

Stricker was mentioned above, and his wedge game is the best I have ever seen. Virtually no wrist action and he could not be even 00001% more on plane. Wedge game is all about distance control. If the camera is behind him you can't even see his left arm at any point because the shaft covers it. Seriously it gives me a woodie

Stricker was mentioned above, and his wedge game is the best I have ever seen. Virtually no wrist action and he could not be even 00001% more on plane. Wedge game is all about distance control. If the camera is behind him you can't even see his left arm at any point because the shaft covers it. Seriously it gives me a woodie
It literally looks like Stricker tosses the ball with his hand when he hits his wedges, looks like it's almost impossible for him to really miss one.

I'd still be there standing there looking at it trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do.

I'd still be there standing there looking at it trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do.
If I was able to get into a position to actually hit that shot, I’m not sure I’d be physically able to hit the next shot.

He has a no hands golf swing. Period. That’s why he’s a short hitter.

He and Scheffler can commiserate about the putting thing. Scheffler would have won the last 4 weeks if he had hit just the occasional 8-15' putt.

Buckets, I saw Hovland caddying this a.m. on TGC. He has quickly become 1 of my favorite players and seems like a genuinely great dude. I also thought it was cool that Rory watched the whole last round of the DP in Hamburg where his fellow countryman Tom McKibbin won his 1st pro tourney.
He has a personality similar to ex Deacon great Gary Hallberg. Which is a very pleasing personality.

Back