• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Yeah, i can't see Bill Haas getting that much considering he's barely a fringe guy now and I'm sure that his family will live comfortably anyway.

While very unlikely, there are rumors that the PGA Tour players may withdraw en masse from PGA events until Monahan resigns. Will be dependent on how today's meeting goes. FWIW, the PGA Tour players are independent contractors, and that is not the LIV model or the model that establishing a profit for corporation running the new tour would follow. Not clear, but there is talk that thePGA players committee must approve such a deal, which is not a given. Even some crazy thoughts about the players attempting to unseat Monahan and replace him with Tiger.

Also, not clear what the networks (CBS, NBC and ESPN) role going forward; not beyond the realm that the players attempt a revolt and start their own tour. Monahan is counting on the money just being too good to turn down.
The networks could consider pooling their resources and connections together to foot the bill for their own tour.

According to SportTrac Bill Haas' career earnings from golf tournament income alone is $32,453,212. That does not count any of his endorsement money, investment income or business endeavors. Not worried about Bill's ability to support himself, his family, and friends.

ultimately, this will probably benefit the tour players in the long run. Purses will likely be larger. you will have sporadic team events. other than that i don't see a lot changing

According to SportTrac Bill Haas' career earnings from golf tournament income alone is $32,453,212. That does not count any of his endorsement money, investment income or business endeavors. Not worried about Bill's ability to support himself, his family, and friends.

I can’t believe your family relies on you to make a living with this kind of thinking.

The networks could consider pooling their resources and connections together to foot the bill for their own tour.
They could. Guessing that Monahan is promising that Saudi backed business ventures will pay the network's A rates to fill all commercial time for the new tour's events. Get ready for the "Come to our beautiful country to tour Al Tayebat International City Museum in Jeddah.

I kind of wonder if some of the big name PGA guys knew this was in the works. I know Rory said he skipped the RBC and walked on the elevated event money because he needed a mental break, but in retrospect it could have been a "fuck this, I'm not carrying your water anymore" thing.

They could. Guessing that Monahan is promising that Saudi backed business ventures will pay the network's A rates to fill all commercial time for the new tour's events. Get ready for the "Come to our beautiful country to tour Al Tayebat International City Museum in Jeddah.
I'm sure. A lot depends on how much the networks want to get in bed with the Saudis and Trump or if they want to try to stay out of politics as much as possible.

I'm not weeping for any of the millionaire athletes here or anything, but this is kind of a perfect example of why nobody owes any loyalty to a corporation (or non-profit in name).

Jack and Tiger must be on tilt.

Can see the Monahan and the Saudis screwing this up to the point that the only golf that matters at all are the four majors, which aren't part of this deal. Realize that is where the average sports fan is anyway, but sucks for those golf nerds that enjoyed the standard PGA (or DP) Tour season.

Oh don’t take my comments wrong. I know you folks can rely on paychecks from others to support your family. Wake Forest spits out team playing obeyers about as well as any school in the country.
What percentage of people you interact with can't stand you, ballpark?

To me, the bigger issue is how the money is allocated. If a good amount goes to propping up smaller events, that helps the rank and file members, and I'm fine with that. But if it mostly goes to exclusive events and to mainly the high ranked players, then that leaves a really sour taste, and I can see that affecting how much PGA golf I watch. If anything, it might get me watching more LPGA golf in the Spring and Summer. Especially if we get some more Deacs on the tour.
Yeah that would be good. Unfortunately I think the latter happens.

Oh don’t take my comments wrong. I know you folks can rely on paychecks from others to support your family. Wake Forest spits out team playing obeyers about as well as any school in the country.
He keeps throwing soft ones right over the plate for me but I can't knock them all out. I want to so badly but one of you admonished me privately for it lol

Guys, just put dondaldross on “ignore.” It’s such a fantastic feature of this website. Posts completely disappear. I did it with NJ Deac a few weeks ago and I’ve basically forgotten he exists at this point. Your life will be better for it, I promise.

Such as…
Collusion.
Colluding with all the tours to not allow world ranking points
Just how much did the PGA Tour manipulate the sport’s labor market. How much pressure did they exert on the majors to keep LIV out (and then when Augusta decided ALL of golf needed their invited qualifiers in, the rest jumped in line—U.S.Open certainly can’t keep out those that qualify. The PGA is a different entity that the PGA Tour)
Collusion of exactly how much illegal pressure the PGA Tour put on sponsors & suppliers to NOT work with LIV and their try for a network and such. All of which is highly illegal and would have cost the PGA multi-millions (billions) in court when the truth under oath came out.

Back