• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Save Hanes Park

JManslow

Reaction score
I know a bunch of posters live in West End/West Highlands/and the Stratford side of BV. I'm also sure a ton of you who don't live around the park use it for tennis, jogging, and other activities. This proposed stadium would completely change the way that the park is used, waste taxpayer money, and bring unnecessary traffic to any area that doesn't have the infrastructure for it. Sorry if people consider this spamming.

http://savehanespark.com/

What a ridiculous proposal. At the same time I always thought it was funny Reynolds and Parkland played at the same stadium.

But in seriousness we're replacing some gyms with a stadium, why is this so bad? When the 3rd bullet point of what you're going to lose is "mature trees" and the fourth is "bus-parking moved elsewhere" I think you have a marketing problem.

Awesome park; this would suck. Signed the petition even though I am no longer a townie.

I am an RJR grad and still think this is a terrible idea. It would make the park and neighborhoods a total mess on game nights. There is a possibility that the school system would prefer to use the site for a future elem. school. That would be a better use for the land.

Sorry but I disagree with just about everything that's listed on there. First Hanes Park is not effected by the use of the school's own land. Tennis will still be there, the green spaces of the park will still be there, the track will still be there. Second, parking is not an issue as people would just park in the school parking lots that are used during the day. Third, Reynolds is the flagship school of WSFC schools and it's ridiculous that they do not have their own football field. Football does bring value to lives, it provides careers, it provides a means to a higher education for some, it teaches a vast array of important life skills such as team work, community spirit and work ethic.

Sorry but I disagree with just about everything that's listed on there. First Hanes Park is not effected by the use of the school's own land. Tennis will still be there, the green spaces of the park will still be there, the track will still be there. Second, parking is not an issue as people would just park in the school parking lots that are used during the day. Third, Reynolds is the flagship school of WSFC schools and it's ridiculous that they do not have their own football field. Football does bring value to lives, it provides careers, it provides a means to a higher education for some, it teaches a vast array of important life skills such as team work, community spirit and work ethic.

LOL at Reynolds as the flagship school of WS/FC.

The green space that is being used is the schools - it is not part of HP! The lower fields that are HP will not be touched! Those fields are the ones that teams play on (4 fields) as well as the HUGE green space/field on the south side of the creek! The only field that is useful right now that is being altered is the SMALL field next to the gym. The rest of the space being used is sloped and unusable for any type of athletics.

After studying the map for some time, it looks like the only 'green space' that will be destroyed is that immediately behind Wiley -- that is, South of the Tennis Courts.

On the other hand, the Reynolds Gymnasium looks like it will be demolished, and it is a pretty historic gym.

I think that the biggest impact will not be some great loss of green space, but rather increased noise and traffic in a neighborhood known for being quiet and green. Very much the same way the people living on faculty drive refused to let Wake put up lights at the baseball stadium. I can see the argument both ways. I have had to drive all the way out to Parkland to play Reynolds.

The green space that is being used is the schools - it is not part of HP! The lower fields that are HP will not be touched! Those fields are the ones that teams play on (4 fields) as well as the HUGE green space/field on the south side of the creek! The only field that is useful right now that is being altered is the SMALL field next to the gym. The rest of the space being used is sloped and unusable for any type of athletics.

Apologies DHD, I read the map wrong. These show exactly what you are trying to say:

Slide04-e1339332979449.jpg

Slide05-1-e1339382156213.jpg

Slide06-e1339333039177.jpg

Thanks - Lil'DHD plays sports via the Y on that field so I am there A LOT. The only usable area in any of the footprint is that TINY field. The rest is sloped horribly and unusable. (it's the olive green area on that map. Very small section). Directly across the street is Reynolds. To the west is Wiley and to the east is baseball. To the south is the Y.

Also, it will not be Reynolds gym that is demolished but rather the small mini-gym at Wiley that was an addition much later, without AC and pretty much just an indoor playground for rain days. Another gym would be built later that would be more useful.

Also, it will not be Reynolds gym that is demolished but rather the small mini-gym at Wiley that was an addition much later, without AC and pretty much just an indoor playground for rain days. Another gym would be built later that would be more useful.

Ah, I see that RJR Gym looks untouched on the map.

Back