• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheier out?

Grobe tried to have each of his assistants tackle one function of Special Teams his last year or two and we were awful in all phases. We also had passing and running co-offensive coordinators. :tard:

To emphasize the importance of special teams, Alabama's Minkah Fitzpatrick is a stalwart on their kickoff coverage team.

And remember during our good years Grobe had guys like Aaron Curry on ST.

And remember during our good years Grobe had guys like Aaron Curry on ST.

That kid from Baylor remembers.

I think Gattis was on kickoff coverage all four years.

Kickoff/punting is not full of like highly complex concepts that require deep thought. Yeah, I don't think the new coach will really change much.

The snapper messed up. That's on the snapper.

Well, not necessarily. Some of the punt rushes are more complex than defensive blitzes. Some of the protections can be very tricky. Is actually kicking a punt complex? well yes and no, but your punter and protection all have to be on the same page. Some protections require a get off of 1.9 seconds, some 2.1, depending on what they show (Return look or rush look).

Also punter and coverage needs to be on same page, obviously. Kick right, left. But full rush and usually don't call a direction. and that needs to be communicated effectively based on look.

Dom drove the ball decently this year, but didn't really grow in terms of directional punting, or hang time. and leg fatigue? If that's a real thing, maybe he was mismanaged in practice.

Sheier was also TE coach and it was Serigne's worst year. Some of that definitely because of injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, we had zero game changing returns, blocked punts? Sometimes you don't want your special teams to lose it for you, but they certainly didn't help winning any game.

Last edited:
That kid from Baylor remembers.

I think Gattis was on kickoff coverage all four years.

Man, Everyone played ST under grobe. Coverage team on kickoff and punts in 2005 was Abbate, Swanson, Curry, Chip Vaughn, Pierre Easily, Patrick Ghee, Josh Gattis. IT was full of starting Safeties, linebacker, corners. Great strategy for coverage, its one more play, and you put your best tacklers out there.

Well, not necessarily. Some of the punt rushes are more complex than defensive blitzes. Some of the protections can be very tricky. Is actually kicking a punt hard? no, but your punter and protection all have to be on the same page. Some protections require a get off of 1.9 seconds, some 2.1, depending on what they show (Return look or rush look).

Also punter and coverage needs to be on same page, obviously. Kick right, left. But full rush and usually don't call a direction. and that needs to be communicated effectively based on look.

Dom drove the ball decently this year, but didn't really grow in terms of directional punting, or hang time. and leg fatigue? If that's a real thing, maybe he was mismanaged in practice.

Sheier was also TE coach and it was Serigne's worst year. Some of that definitely because of injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, we had zero game changing returns, blocked punts? Sometimes you don't want your special teams to lose it for you, but they certainly didn't help winning any game.

I could be wrong, but didn't Clawson take over the TE duties after last season?

Good insight.

Grobe tried to have each of his assistants tackle one function of Special Teams his last year or two and we were awful in all phases. We also had passing and running co-offensive coordinators. :tard:

Actually Grobe did that the whole time he was there. And some years we led the nation on certain special teams.

I could be wrong, but didn't Clawson take over the TE duties after last season?

Good insight.

Just going off this:
"Sources tell FootballScoop Wake Forest special teams coordinator / tight ends coach Adam Scheier will not return. Scheier had served as Dave Clawson’s special teams / tight ends since the 2009 season at Bowling Green."

Well, not necessarily. Some of the punt rushes are more complex than defensive blitzes. Some of the protections can be very tricky. Is actually kicking a punt complex? well yes and no, but your punter and protection all have to be on the same page. Some protections require a get off of 1.9 seconds, some 2.1, depending on what they show (Return look or rush look).

Our very last return of the year was a game changer.

Ayo is just completely wrong on the topic. His favorite end all be all of the football world the Patriots believe so strongly in special teams they have 4 non-kicker/punter players that are solely special teamers pulling in 6 million.

Wake Ranks this year on Special Teams:

Out of 128 teams:

Avg. Wake Forest Punt Return 3.18 yards Ranks 118
Avg. Wake Forest Kickoff Return 19.03 Ranks 101
Wake Forest Net Punting 36.43 yards Ranks 88
Opponent Avg Kickoff Return 23.83 Ranks 115

2 coverage teams and 2 return teams were dismal.

Wake Ranks this year on Special Teams:

Out of 128 teams:

Avg. Wake Forest Punt Return 3.18 yards Ranks 118
Avg. Wake Forest Kickoff Return 19.03 Ranks 101
Wake Forest Net Punting 36.43 yards Ranks 88
Opponent Avg Kickoff Return 23.83 Ranks 115

2 coverage teams and 2 return teams were dismal.

Mike Weaver was T-45 in FG percentage
Dom Maggio was T-44 in Gross Punting.

Ayo is just completely wrong on the topic. His favorite end all be all of the football world the Patriots believe so strongly in special teams they have 4 non-kicker/punter players that are solely special teamers pulling in 6 million.
The importance of special teams has nothing to do with the argument.

They Kickoff more than most makes sense.

Your premise (that they kick off more, so they use starters more often) makes little sense. If they kick off more, one could argue that they shouldn't use starters, as they'd tire more quickly.

A couple of years back (1st Clawson year?) we seemed to go hard after blocking punts, and were successful, with good results. Then against UL-Monroe we had a roughing penalty and a non-call when receiving that punt (would have removed the roughing) that changed that game around. After that, and to now, we don't seem to even consider going for blocks. Special teams decision???

Your premise (that they kick off more, so they use starters more often) makes little sense. If they kick off more, one could argue that they shouldn't use starters, as they'd tire more quickly.

Makes sense to use your best players if you are giving the other team more chances to score due to your scoring prowess. Just like bad offences should put more time and effort into punt team since they will punt more than others.

Back