• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Screw Jim Boeheim

Obviously NYC is the greater city, but Greensboro is cheap and has charm. NYC is ridiculously expensive.

Boeheim is just a cranky old man, upset that basketball is being spurned for football and the money that comes with it. Welcome to the college sports world in 2011. Don't hate the player hate the game. And when the remains of the big east combine forces with the remains of the big 12 to form the big shit conference without you, don't complain when your football program is brining in twice as much revenue for your athletic program as Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati, TCU, Baylor, etc.

Yes. And he loves the BE and must hate the idea of having his baby drawn and quartered.

That said, yeah, he's cranky. But he has a point as to the tourney. And I think you'll see a rotation from now on of Atlanta, Greensboro, Charlotte, DC and NYC. Maybe with an occasional Boston or Tampa thrown in. Hell, in another decade or two when we have a good team again, I wouldn't mind getting tourney tix thru UVA to go up to NYC. That'd be a great experience. Haven't been there since I was like 15.

Will they sell beer in the Garden during the tournament? I'm reserving judgement until I have this crucial piece of information. I saw Wake in the NIT in the Garden back in the early 80s and they sold beer.

If you want people to have a good time while the tournament is going on, go with NYC. If you want people to actually watch the game before the third OT, go with Greensboro.

I submit the plan I outlined on the realignment thread as a reasonable compromise.

if Boeheim is concerned about losing potential longer-standing BE rivals, i'm not sure what would keep him from scheduling those OOC...

I find it hilarious that PhDeac is Ish due to his post count.

All this means is that whenever the ACC tournament is at MSG that a lot of people are going to spend a lot of time talking nostalgically about how the Big East tournament was a lot better.

He should have been more tactful, but he has a point. With these two additions, the ACC now stretches from Miami, FL to upstate New York. We're lucky to be in the middle of that coastal stretch, but I see no reason why the tournament can't rotate around some of the northern-ish FL cities (Jacksonville and Orlando come to mind), Atlanta, Greensboro, D.C., and NYC.

Hey guys, Syracuse fan and alum here. One thing you'll notice now that we're in the ACC, if you hadn't already picked up on it in the past: Jimmy B is not afraid to speak his mind. He's a sarcastic, often snide guy when he's talking to the press. It leads to great soundbytes, but it also makes him come off as a curmudgeon.

He's also been on record saying his dream conference would have 10 teams and, yes, it would be a condensed Big East. I'd be shocked if he ever wanted to leave the conference, and I have to imagine he was a voice of dissent when it came up at SU. But it's done now, and he's tried to play the part of the company man...but he just can't bite his tongue completely, so a few little barbs slip through here and there. We love him for it, but I can see how it comes off to folks outside of New York.

Anyway, I wasn't totally on board with the move, because I'm a traditionalist (even though the Big East is older than I am), but I think that I, like many other Syracuse fans, are really starting come around to the benefits of this move. It's survival of the fittest at this point in major college sports, and I'm just glad we got a seat at the table (I don't think that was ever in question, but I'm just thankful we didn't wind up in the Big Ten. If we had to leave the Big East, I'm glad we landed in the ACC).

The assumption in this thread seems to be that Greensboro will continue to be be the default ACC tournament location, but once the conference expands (and especially if we go to 16), I doubt it will be played anywhere in North Carolina more than half the time (if that). Since expanding to 12, it's been out of NC almost as much as in NC, and this pending expansion shifts the basketball center of gravity much further north. I'd guess the most likely scenario would be a rotation between a number of different sites (Greensboro, Atlanta, NYC, DC). And I'd guess that MSG is a more likely long-term site than anywhere in North Carolina.

all 4 of those cities are still bigger than greensboro

rotate between dc/nyc

it's not about size so much as it is location, as well as tradtion. DC and NYC are two northern locations. Greensboro/Charlotte and NYC/DC would be cool. Maybe a four year rotation with a different city each year...

Well they did ask to join us. Which means they accept what the ACC is. I don't have a problem with the ACCT moving to NY every four or five years. However, there is a reason the road leading to the Greensboro Coliseum is known as ACC drive. Hell, there is a plaque on that road telling about the creation of the ACC.

Swofford as much as said the ACC tournament will be played in NY from time to time in an interview the other day. And why wouldn't you want to play there?

My question is how do you do that if the Big East somehow survives? Do they have a long term contract with MSG by any chance?

This could turn into quite the little pissing match...

The conference tournament is BS anyway. And 16-team conference tournaments, like the Big East's, are total BS.

this is disappointing I was hoping he actually said something controversial

DC is easily the worst of the current ACC Tourney venues.

Tampa/St. Pete was the worst, but I don't know if you'd call that current (2007). It hasn't been in DE since 2005 and was previously there in 1987 and 1981 (and that's it).

The ACC tournament is in Greensboro 5 out of 6 years between 2010 and 2015. That's too many times in Greensboro by any measure. The tournament is in Atlanta in 2012.

So you can say that the tournament is moving around if you like, but currently it has a wheel in the ditch in Greensboro.

Back