• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Screw Jim Boeheim

Alternate between Gboro and NYC. If NYC has awful attendance keep it in Gboro.

The ACC offices are in Greensboro, and they will remain there. The only other city that has done a good job hosting the tournament in the last decade was DC. Tampa was terrible. ATL is better now that they are using an actual basketball arena. Jacksonville should never ever host anything after how they screwed up the ACCCG and Gator Bowl.

Out of 10 years it should be Greensboro 4, MSG 3, Charlotte 1, DC 1, and ATL 1. Just my opinion.

My only problem with what Boeheim said is that he pretty much just disrespected the tradition of the ACC Tournament being held in Greensboro..which goes back nearly 50 years.

As far as the future of the ACC Tournament goes...there should be a rotation between NYC, Greensboro and Atlanta. Absolutely NO to Washington DC.

The assumption in this thread seems to be that Greensboro will continue to be be the default ACC tournament location, but once the conference expands (and especially if we go to 16), I doubt it will be played anywhere in North Carolina more than half the time (if that). Since expanding to 12, it's been out of NC almost as much as in NC, and this pending expansion shifts the basketball center of gravity much further north. I'd guess the most likely scenario would be a rotation between a number of different sites (Greensboro, Atlanta, NYC, DC). And I'd guess that MSG is a more likely long-term site than anywhere in North Carolina.

If my memory serves me correctly, after the debacles of having the ACCT in the Georgia Dome and Tampa the conference slated the tournament to be Greensboro heavy. Gboro has the best turnout (could be argued due to the proximity of the Tobbacco road schools) of any venue. I didnt go to the '05 tourney in DC, so someone who went to that one feel free to chime in.

I'd love it if the new ACC were to just choose 1 location for the tournament every year, regardless of where that is. I think that has been 1 of the many reasons why the ACCT has suffered relative to the BE tournament; by rotating it among Southeastern cities, the tournament never really establishes its own identity or foothold in any one place. In a perfect world, I think the ACC should just start "owning" NYC, DC, G-spot, Charlotte, or whichever city makes the most sense for the new 16-team league going forward.

That being said, SOMEONE has to play their conference tournament in MSG every March, right? If the Big East as we know it ceases to exist as a result of the ACC's current round of expansion, it seems unlikely that the Big East will continue to host its tournament there (if the league even continues to exist at all). MSG just seems too big of a venue / draw / marketing opportunity / broadcasting platform / whatever to let it just sit there.

I could see the Big East being forced to alternate between DC and Philly and NYC if MSG wants to include the ACC in their rotation.

The ACC offices are in Greensboro, and they will remain there. The only other city that has done a good job hosting the tournament in the last decade was DC. Tampa was terrible. ATL is better now that they are using an actual basketball arena. Jacksonville should never ever host anything after how they screwed up the ACCCG and Gator Bowl.

Out of 10 years it should be Greensboro 4, MSG 3, Charlotte 1, DC 1, and ATL 1. Just my opinion.

No way. This Greensboro crap has to come to the end. The balance of power has shifted and the northern schools will force equity into the rewarding of the location of the ACC tournament.

Out of 10 years: Greensboro 2, MSG 2, Atlanta 2, Charlotte 1, DC 1, Orlando 1, Meadowlands 1

Hey guys, Syracuse fan and alum here. One thing you'll notice now that we're in the ACC, if you hadn't already picked up on it in the past: Jimmy B is not afraid to speak his mind. He's a sarcastic, often snide guy when he's talking to the press. It leads to great soundbytes, but it also makes him come off as a curmudgeon.

He's also been on record saying his dream conference would have 10 teams and, yes, it would be a condensed Big East. I'd be shocked if he ever wanted to leave the conference, and I have to imagine he was a voice of dissent when it came up at SU. But it's done now, and he's tried to play the part of the company man...but he just can't bite his tongue completely, so a few little barbs slip through here and there. We love him for it, but I can see how it comes off to folks outside of New York.

Yeah, it's not like it was a press release meant to go public. The article said he made the remark while at a gathering in Birmingham, so it was probably just an off the cuff attempt at sarcastic humor. Having said that, I've met Boeheim before, and he has less personality than cardboard. I'm not sure how he picked up a relatively hot wife (outside of the money and fame part).

Last edited:
I'd love it if the new ACC were to just choose 1 location for the tournament every year, regardless of where that is. I think that has been 1 of the many reasons why the ACCT has suffered relative to the BE tournament; by rotating it among Southeastern cities, the tournament never really establishes its own identity or foothold in any one place. In a perfect world, I think the ACC should just start "owning" NYC, DC, G-spot, Charlotte, or whichever city makes the most sense for the new 16-team league going forward.

That being said, SOMEONE has to play their conference tournament in MSG every March, right? If the Big East as we know it ceases to exist as a result of the ACC's current round of expansion, it seems unlikely that the Big East will continue to host its tournament there (if the league even continues to exist at all). MSG just seems too big of a venue / draw / marketing opportunity / broadcasting platform / whatever to let it just sit there.

There's going to be a lot of renewed interst in the ACC tournament with the arrival of the new teams. You should shop it around and let other cities try it on. Let fans try out some different cities too.

Alternate between Gboro and NYC. If NYC has awful attendance keep it in Gboro.

MSG would sell out any tournament featuring Duke, Syracuse, and UConn. In fact, MSG would probably sell out any tournament featuring even just Duke.

They've tried different cities for the tourney and they keep coming back to Gboro because it's the best. The tourney generates nowhere near the excitement it once did but it's still respectable when it's in Gboro. Give NYC a chance and see what kind of enthusiasm it generates. If it does well great- alternate between Gboro and NYC. Stop putting it in these other cities where no one cares.

A game between Duke and Syracuse alone would sell out MSG. With Duke's popularity everywhere (unfortunately) and Syracuse's immense presence in NYC, that would probably draw a bigger crowd than a Knicks game.

And don't forget, there's a new arena being built in Brooklyn for the Nets, so even if the Big East has MSG tied down until 2016, the ACC could still get into New York via the new arena.

I am sure the ACC will try and add NYC and maybe even Boston as potential sites in future years. Still see them holding the majority of tournaments in Greensboro.

Even though it's in the middle of tobacco road, the Greensboro Coliseum is a good, sizeable venue and the ACC Tournament is a big event when held in Gboro. The tournament organizers and staffers do a great job there and it will always be well-attended due to the proximity to the Big 4.

Having seen what goes on behind the scenes at Greensboro vs. DC and Florida venues for ACC and NCAA events, Greensboro is by far the most well-organized venue and the city actually gives two shits about hosting the event. Seeing what went on behind the scenes at the Orange Bowl (complete and utter chaos), I was amazed that the event even went off. There were all kinds of technical issues with the pre-game and halftime stuff that was evident to the fans there as well.

When the tournament was in DC the city completely overshadowed the tournament, and with Maryland making an early exit the games were not very well attended. Tampa is an apathetic city in general when it comes to sports and, without an ACC team within 2 hours of drive, did not make for a good tournament venue. I would be concerned about attendance at MSG as well, especially if Syracuse (or UConn should they join the ACC) makes an early tournament exit. But Duke fans could always show up en masse up there so that might help it be a success.

The conference tournament is BS anyway. And 16-team conference tournaments, like the Big East's, are total BS.

I hope the ACC doesn't do some deal where only so many teams go to the conference tournament, since that would mean we wouldn't get to play for the foreseeable future.

They've tried different cities for the tourney and they keep coming back to Gboro because it's the best. The tourney generates nowhere near the excitement it once did but it's still respectable when it's in Gboro. Give NYC a chance and see what kind of enthusiasm it generates. If it does well great- alternate between Gboro and NYC. Stop putting it in these other cities where no one cares.

Do you know why people seem to care so much about it in Greensboro? Because the place is packed with UNC-CH fans. The tournament has lost luster every year since the tournament went to 64 teams. Put the thing out there to the highest bidder and if MSG wants to put money in our pockets, let them.

Hey if Greensboro wants to take the tournament at a loss or break even deal for prestige and publicity, then fine, let them pay us instead.

I agree that Greensboro has been the best venue, by far. But now you add Syracuse and maybe UConn to the Marylands of the world who bitch and whine about the NC schools getting a home court advantage, and now you have an alternative site that actually has some serious appeal.

I'd be fine with a 6 year rotation of NYC, GBoro, Atlanta, NYC, GBoro, DC

ACC tournaments in Florida or Boston would be dead empty

MSG holds what - 19k? Think about how few tickets will be available per team once the league expands to 14 schools. GSO is the biggest bball arena around. I can see the ACC reconsidering domes.

Back