• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Screw Jim Boeheim

Greensboro is a dump. But I'd rather it be here in the heart of the ACC rather than way the fuck up north.

Buttermaker said:
MSG holds what - 19k? Think about how few tickets will be available per team once the league expands to 14 schools. GSO is the biggest bball arena around. I can see the ACC reconsidering domes.

This is probably true. Charlotte also makes little sense due to the number of schools vying for tickets. Those of you who are Greensboro haters, have you been to the tournament there?

This is probably true. Charlotte also makes little sense due to the number of schools vying for tickets. Those of you who are Greensboro haters, have you been to the tournament there?

Yeah, plenty. The Coliseum is a dump and the only places to eat close-by are Stamey's and a bunch of crap. I also attended Wake games there freshman and sophomore year.

Split it 50/50 Greensboro/MSG. If UConn comes aboard, there will be no problem with ticket sales between UConn/Cuse/Duke fans (MSG is practically Cameron North for them).

Throw in the media coverage and it spark a buzz.

The ACCT in GBO might have tradition, but the league has been watered down since the 50s - the center of it is no longer Tobacco Road, but stretches from Miami to Boston, with BC, Cuse, Pitt, UConn all definitely being NYC-lean schools, and you can make an argument that Miami is as well (South Florida is more or less an NYC exclave).

Greensboro is better than Syracuse, where March is still winter. He's used this line before - during the previous ACC expansion. Think of something new Jimmy.

Yeah, plenty. The Coliseum is a dump and the only places to eat close-by are Stamey's and a bunch of crap. I also attended Wake games there freshman and sophomore year.

The Coliseum may not be state-of-the art and has space issues in the concourse, but it is by FAR the best venue for the ACC Tourney based on the combination of seating capacity, fan sight lines, proximity to airports and interstates, abundance of nearby hotels and restaurants, and centralized location vis-a-vis conference schools.

Historically, we've had great issues in attendance and venues when the ACCT has been held at the far end of the conference footprint. Would it be any different if it went to the northern extreme? Try it and find out. GSO is pretty much the center point of a conference that now stretches from Syracuse to Miami and has the most schools within a 2 hour drive so it makes the most sense.

Will they sell beer in the Garden during the tournament? I'm reserving judgement until I have this crucial piece of information. I saw Wake in the NIT in the Garden back in the early 80s and they sold beer.

Ive gone to the big east tournament numerous times and they did sell beer there. I most recently went to the 06 tournament though. I had a blast at the big east tournament and it would be close to where I am currently at. I hope to see the ACCT in NYC some day.

I see the draw of playing it in NYC and loved our NIT Championship there, but you dont come into the conference firing like that. I know he's one of the more respected coaches in the game, but we arent the Big East Lite. We're the ACC with our own history and traditions.

this. but what do you expect, Boeheim is an ass and has been for many, many years. I hope we don't have to put up with him for long.

tradition is incredibly overrated at this point but if you guys enjoy playing in front of 15k duke and unc fans keep having the games in greensboro.

The Coliseum may not be state-of-the art and has space issues in the concourse, but it is by FAR the best venue for the ACC Tourney based on the combination of seating capacity, fan sight lines, proximity to airports and interstates, abundance of nearby hotels and restaurants, and centralized location vis-a-vis conference schools.

Greensboro is truly the third best arena in NC behind Charlotte and Raleigh.

Time Warner Arena beats Greensboro in every area except seating capacity. Greensboro does not have good airport access. There aren't enough direct flights into the airport and a lot of flights have a layover. Realizing of course that RDU and CLT are good options, but it's a pretty easy ride from LaGuardia to MSG.

Philips Arena beats Greensboro on everything but capacity and central location. Obviously the GA Dome blows it away on capacity.

I really think hte seating capacity issue is overblown. If you're dividing the last 3,000 - 4,000 seats in the arena between 14 schools, it's only 214 - 285 tickets each. And it's actually less than that once the sponsors take their tickets.

Split the 16 team league into a pre-FSU 8 division and everybody else divison.

Have the 1st and 2nd round of the traditional division in Greensboro and have the 1st and 2nd rounds of the other division in MSG. This brings back the feel of the old ACCT and the 90s Big East Tournament.

Alternate the ACC Final Four on Sat/Sun between Greensboro and MSG every year. This set up guarantees that the semis aren't dominated by old ACC or old Big East teams while still allowing for UNC-Duke or Cuse-Pitt championship games.

tradition is incredibly overrated at this point but if you guys enjoy playing in front of more than 100 Wake fans keep having the games in greensboro.

Fixed.

Syracuse actually sells beer at the Carrier Dome...one of our most pressing concerns is: as members of the ACC, will we be able to continue to sell beer?

Also, for any interested, Boeheim is about to be on Outside the Lines in a few minutes talking about the expansion. Looks like the episode is dedicated to expansion, primarily ACC expansion.

tradition is incredibly overrated at this point but if you guys enjoy playing in front of 15k duke and unc fans keep having the games in greensboro.

It will be like this everywhere it is held. It will be worse in NYC because there will be more Duke fans there.

i think the center of the conference is in northern virginia.

If you're going technical and on driving distance then Syracuse to Charlotte is 727 miles and Miami to Charlotte is 729 miles. Using Greensboro makes it 641 from Syracuse and 795 from Miami

as great as an ACCT in new York would be, it makes me wish we had any chance to be relevant in bball in the foreseeable future.

playing on Tuesday should be fun.

Back